• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Connecticut man shot, killed bear that his dog confronted

Mother lived in a small appartment complex up in Center Harbor they were always having bear problems,raiding the trash erc. Always brought my dogs and a handgun when we went to see her,figured with my luck while walking the dogs
dogs see bear start carry on bear gets aggressive charges dogs and myself hopefully draw handgun shoot and hit bear. Got the you can't shoot the bear well in the above scenario I'll worry about the legal ramifications later better my dogs and I are not turned into Purina Bear Chow.

Not sure about CT, but in Mass the answer is no, you can't. It has to be a threat to you, personally, or worrying your livestock. Unfortunately pets are property, not people or livestock.

That said, this f***ing thing is why I own a .458 SOCOM.
well that's great, but you legally wouldn't be able to use it in that instance.
So you might as well just have a 22. Sucks but I guess that's the law. Let the bear eat your dog and then, when he comes after you and starts gnawing your f****** head, off I guess then, you can pull the trigger.
We'll see how that works out.

Highlander in your case it's not so much a question of legality. It's more a question of whether or not you can draw and make a decisive hit before the bear can be on you if it wants to get you. Unless you shoot like Bob Munden the answer is likely no.

Maybe it's a poorly written article; but the way I read it, the dog approached and was harassing the bear.

In which case no, you don't get to shoot it. Train your dog better.

As written, this sounds an awful lot like poaching over a dog to me.

I live up the hill from where this guy shot the bear. I'm betting the dog was well, being a dog, the cubs went up a tree, the bear was in defensive mode. Get your stupid dog, and give the bears an "out." Bears eat my grapes, bears poop in my yard, I've surprised them, they've surprised me., out mountain biking, walking the neighborhood, coming home from work at 3 a.m.. Not once have they gotten aggressive. Had a staredown a few times, followed by them taking off. 150lbs to one I'd guarantee was 600 plus, and glad that one took off asap. Perhaps they smell my concealed Glock, I dunno. Seems every encounter that is an "issue" involves a little yippy dog. That being said, bear do kind of remind me of geese, a bit too tame, and getting too numerous. Not their fault, I'd blame our lawmakers. There was one that was future trouble a few years back, woman took a vid of a pair of 2 year olds, and one kept trying to get behind her, and was nipping at her cuffs. The fact she sounded like she was stoned and kept saying "don't be afraid" didn't help, and that bear was put down by DEEP, as it was a repeat offender. There are rogues, kid in New Jersey got eaten a few years back; the pix he took showed the bear head down, ears back, on the hunt. The group of college kids split up which was a mistake. Heading to work a few weeks back, had one cross the road, from the woods to a yard, smelled the barbecue no doubt. I'm sure there were some looks of surprise generated, but no reports of half eaten humans or shot bears...neighbor had one come up to her as she was reading a book, she thought it was her dog, reached back to pet it...

You aren't allowed to kill an animal that is a threat to your pets? Learn something new everyday.

What threat? He saw the bears then chose to open his door, send his dog out and go get his mouse gun. He created the situation and should be punished for doing it. FTR I'm a hunter and still say this was bullshit. It wasn't hunting, hell it wasn't even poaching FFS. It was just killing for no reason. He should have just called AC and if anything they would have been relocated instead of orphaning the cubs and killing the mother just because he's a 26 yr old douche bag that just wanted to shoot something other than paper.

Highlander in your case it's not so much a question of legality. It's more a question of whether or not you can draw and make a decisive hit before the bear can be on you if it wants to get you. Unless you shoot like Bob Munden the answer is likely no.
I believe I said that and I agree that I most likely be come bear chow but hopefully the horrendous "boom" from the firing of my gun MIGHT frighten the bear off.

I'm going to go out on a limb here a say he ignored the advice all lawyers give you and he talked to the police. The bear was coming right for me and I was scared. I want a lawyer.

... A necropsy showed the bear died of a liver wound. ...​

Comorbidity.
images

I'm going to go out on a limb here a say he ignored the advice all lawyers give you and he talked to the police. The bear was coming right for me and I was scared. I want a lawyer.
It died on the neighbor's driveway.

Must not have been a good neighbor.

4glnxx.jpg

Maybe it's a poorly written article; but the way I read it, the dog approached and was harassing the bear.

In which case no, you don't get to shoot it. Train your dog better.

As written, this sounds an awful lot like poaching over a dog to me.
If only there were common way to restrain a dog. Hmm...

why u stop filming? I thought the bear was going to get hit by that thing when it like recoiled

Lol no, its like a wrought iron pole, it took a bend and I had to bend it back.

After finishing his dinner, he walked up the side yard, across the street, and wandered the neighborhood a bit:
Screenshot_20200928-182223_Video Player.jpg

Back
Top Bottom