• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering a First Revolver - S&W Model 69 .44 Mag

Subie

One thing to keep in mind. Lighter guns are easier to carry. Heavier guns are easier to shoot.

That may seem obvious, but many people seem to forget this. My 6+ lb 9"(about) .460 XVR is much more pleasant to shoot than 11 ounce, .357 magnum 340PD.

Yep, right there with you. I've shot the Ruger Alaskan in .454 (the 2.5" one) and the .460 XVR 9" side by side. The .460 was WAY more comfortable, obviously owing to the longer barrel and extra weight.

If I wanted it as a range gun I'd go with an N frame or a Ruger. I'll practice with it enough to be confident but I'm looking at this more for carrying comfort than shooting comfort.

i do a good amount of hiking in NH (working on the 4,000 footer list)...as i said in the other carrying in the woods thread, look at the statistics of bear or moose attacks in new england or the area where you're going to be hiking...humans are more dangerous so prepare for them instead of wildlife...carry whatever is legal, has the most capacity, you're comfortable with and is not too heavy to lug around...or just buy a can of bear spray which will be lighter and cover all bases...that's just my opinion...so far i've only seen 1 bear cub and it was on the side of the highway and everyone was out of their cars taking pictures...it was terrifying

This is a pretty valid point. I'm drawn towards the idea of owning one revolver (provided it has a purpose), but between what you say and some research I just did, I wonder if a dedicated gun is worth the money and trouble. In a pinch I'd trust a 9mm to be viable against a black bear and I guess even that is unlikely.

This is a pretty valid point. I'm drawn towards the idea of owning one revolver (provided it has a purpose), but between what you say and some research I just did, I wonder if a dedicated gun is worth the money and trouble. In a pinch I'd trust a 9mm to be viable against a black bear and I guess even that is unlikely.

i'm not licensed in NH so all i can carry is a can of bear spray when i hike...but my pack is heavy enough, no need to double up and add more weight for something there is a slim to no chance i will need...i'd be better served carrying more water...i'm not even sure of the laws about carrying in a national forest anyway...but if you want to get a revolver just make sure you have more than one purpose for it...i wouldn't just limit it to hiking...but myself if i was licensed and wanted to carry i would go with a light 9mm with a high capacity that i'm comfortable and accurate with shooting for hiking

Last edited:
The last time I was in Alaska, I brought my Colt Delta Elite (10mm). When not in town, I loaded it with Buffalo Bore -- 220 grn hard cast @ 1175 fps. Certainly not a hot 44 Mag, but better than a sharp stick and more than enough for a blackie.

I do have a 44 Mag, but it is a 629 V-comp, very heavy and not something I could conceal. With the group that I was with, I needed to conceal. And I'm better with the Delta Elite than the 629.

If I was hiking in NH, I'd feel well protected with a Glock 19. YMMV.

Ya now I'm wondering if a Glock 20 might be a good choice to give me the piece of mind while still being what I'd call effective against 2-legged threats (speaking in terms of capacity). Seems like the 10mm would be more versatile and less overkill. Hmm...

Ya now I'm wondering if a Glock 20 might be a good choice to give me the piece of mind while still being what I'd call effective against 2-legged threats (speaking in terms of capacity). Seems like the 10mm would be more versatile and less overkill. Hmm...

If your hands are big enough for it, a Glock 20 would be a decent choice. 10mm ammo isn't cheap, of course, but it is an easy round to reload. And the Buffalo Bore ammo is good stuff.

Also, I find the Buffalo Bore 10mm ammo to be more pleasant to shoot than 44 Mag. I just don't enjoy 44 Mag, even out of the heavy V-comp.

So here's an option that hasn't been mentioned.

The S&W 329. Its a .44 mag revolver made out of S&W's Al-Sc alloy. It comes most typically with a 4" barrel, which is long enough to get the bullet up to speed.

I have not shot one. It has to hurt. But I bet its easier to shoot than an all steel gun with a very short barrel. Its 25 oz empty. So its not insanely light.

Don

163414_01_md.jpg

The S&W 329. Its a .44 mag revolver made out of S&W's Al-Sc alloy. It comes most typically with a 4" barrel, which is long enough to get the bullet up to speed.

I have not shot one. It has to hurt. But I bet its easier to shoot than an all steel gun with a very short barrel. Its 25 oz empty. So its not insanely light.

Don

163414_01_md.jpg

I think I have one of those.... [smile]

The reviews ive read say the 329 is easy to carry but you wont shoot it often. Ouch

Ouch. Just ouch.

No thank you very much.

G20 or 29 for New England woods. 44 mag is overkill. Been in the NH woods for 40+ years and never encountered a bear while hiking. Just not rational to worry about it. G29 is nice and compact. The 44 just goes to the range occasionally. Small hands? G20/29SF.

Back
Top Bottom