• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Constitutional Carry tracker.

WOOHOO! When does it take effect?

I believe laws in Texas go into effect sept 1 unless specifically noted in a bill

Louisiana also passed it but the dem governor is going to veto It. They have 2/3 in the senate to override, probably do in the house but I’m not positive. Louisiana legislature hasn’t overridden a veto since the mid 1990s. We’ll see if they want to here. If they don’t, edwards is term limited no the next governor will sign it.

It’s only a matter of time before GA, AL, NE, etc join the club. The GOP controls the legislature in PA, WI, MI, NC and others. With some governor wins in 2022, those states should join in time

Abbott signed it today. Texas is the 21st state with constitutional carry
Just came here to post this

Effective September 1, 2021, most Texans over the age of 21 will be able to legally carry a handgun in public without obtaining a currently required License to Carry (LTC).

Authored by Rep. Matt Schaefer (R-Tyler) and sponsored by Sen. Charles Schwertner (R-Georgetown) in the Senate, HB 1927 applies to individuals over 21 who can legally possess a firearm and have not been convicted in the previous five years of assault causing bodily injury, deadly conduct, terroristic threats, or illegally discharging a firearm in a public place or displaying a firearm in a manner calculated to alarm.

Under the new law, some places where carrying a firearm has been statutorily prohibited remain prohibited, such as at public schools, bars, hospitals, and amusement parks.

Just came here to post this

Effective September 1, 2021, most Texans over the age of 21 will be able to legally carry a handgun in public without obtaining a currently required License to Carry (LTC).

Authored by Rep. Matt Schaefer (R-Tyler) and sponsored by Sen. Charles Schwertner (R-Georgetown) in the Senate, HB 1927 applies to individuals over 21 who can legally possess a firearm and have not been convicted in the previous five years of assault causing bodily injury, deadly conduct, terroristic threats, or illegally discharging a firearm in a public place or displaying a firearm in a manner calculated to alarm.

Under the new law, some places where carrying a firearm has been statutorily prohibited remain prohibited, such as at public schools, bars, hospitals, and amusement parks.
What about non-residents?

I believe laws in Texas go into effect sept 1 unless specifically noted in a bill

Louisiana also passed it but the dem governor is going to veto It. They have 2/3 in the senate to override, probably do in the house but I’m not positive. Louisiana legislature hasn’t overridden a veto since the mid 1990s. We’ll see if they want to here. If they don’t, edwards is term limited no the next governor will sign it.
LA Gov hasn’t made his move yet. He has until June 24th to veto. If he does nothing, it becomes law. If he vetos, the legislature can call a veto session to vote on override.

This legislation was passed in both House and Senate by veto-proof majorities

I tried to do a deep dive into the Texas ConCarry bill, but I gave up 21 pages in.

Texas has been so restrictive on gun carry for so long, that so many laws are affected by this change, that probably no one will be able to sort it all out about who can or can't carry, or when or where, for at least the next session in 2023.

In the meantime, lawyers will be raking it in.

Here is the text of the bill,

I expect that 30:06 and 30:07 still apply as does the 51% law. The signs that won't apply are the ones that say only licensed people can carry on the premises. Which never made sense to me.

The text also includes all of the places where you can't carry licensed or not.

This article, Explained: How ‘constitutional carry’ will change gun laws in Texas is pretty good although it refers to "Texans" where the actual bill says "person".

Here is the text of the bill,

I expect that 30:06 and 30:07 still apply as does the 51% law. The signs that won't apply are the ones that say only licensed people can carry on the premises. Which never made sense to me.

The text also includes all of the places where you can't carry licensed or not.

This article, Explained: How ‘constitutional carry’ will change gun laws in Texas is pretty good although it refers to "Texans" where the actual bill says "person".
30.06 and 30.07 apply specifically only to LICENSE holders like you and me. Not cops, judges, and other priveleged people. I haven't really seen a sign that says only licensed person can carry BUT I Have seen signs that say UNLICENSED carry is prohibited. Usually at places that sell liquor/beer/etc like gas stations etc.

Page 13 of the bill includes 30.05 signage to prohibit UNLICENSED carry:

(c)A person may provide notice that firearms are prohibited on the property by posting a sign at each entrance to the property that: (1)includes language that is identical to or substantially similar to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.05, Penal Code (criminal trespass), a person may not enter this property with a firearm"; (and then following size and color requirements similar to 30.06 and 30.07).

As someone else pointed out the language in the bill references "person" which is neither resident or non-resident unless they specifically defined it somewhere to mean either only residents or both.

Those are the "blue" signs I refer to and they are required by TABC for all places licensed to see alcohol. The red 51% signs are also TABC and violating that is a felony.

I missed the 30.05 language, but it's pretty much the same as 30.06 and 30.07. I expect that places that have the other signs will add these as well. Over the years, I've seen fewer and fewer of those signs at facilities.

30.06 and 30.07 apply specifically only to LICENSE holders like you and me. Not cops, judges, and other priveleged people. I haven't really seen a sign that says only licensed person can carry BUT I Have seen signs that say UNLICENSED carry is prohibited. Usually at places that sell liquor/beer/etc like gas stations etc.

Page 13 of the bill includes 30.05 signage to prohibit UNLICENSED carry:

(c)A person may provide notice that firearms are prohibited on the property by posting a sign at each entrance to the property that: (1)includes language that is identical to or substantially similar to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.05, Penal Code (criminal trespass), a person may not enter this property with a firearm"; (and then following size and color requirements similar to 30.06 and 30.07).

As someone else pointed out the language in the bill references "person" which is neither resident or non-resident unless they specifically defined it somewhere to mean either only residents or both.

Just a bit more freedom out of Texas today, a gift from the Govenor..... The second bill, which Abbott signed on Tuesday according to the state legislature's webpage, exempts Texas-made suppressors, also known as silencers, from the National Firearms Act, a body of laws that in part require gun owners to register NFA items, including suppressors and short-barreled rifles, with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives before paying a $200 tax. The legislation cleared the House in early May by a 95-51 vote and passed through the Senate by a 22-9 vote.

Just a bit more freedom out of Texas today, a gift from the Govenor..... The second bill, which Abbott signed on Tuesday according to the state legislature's webpage, exempts Texas-made suppressors, also known as silencers, from the National Firearms Act, a body of laws that in part require gun owners to register NFA items, including suppressors and short-barreled rifles, with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives before paying a $200 tax. The legislation cleared the House in early May by a 95-51 vote and passed through the Senate by a 22-9 vote.
If Texas ever falls to communists we’re done for sure

Just a bit more freedom out of Texas today, a gift from the Govenor..... The second bill, which Abbott signed on Tuesday according to the state legislature's webpage, exempts Texas-made suppressors, also known as silencers, from the National Firearms Act, a body of laws that in part require gun owners to register NFA items, including suppressors and short-barreled rifles, with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives before paying a $200 tax. The legislation cleared the House in early May by a 95-51 vote and passed through the Senate by
How soon before BATFE raids a bunch of places over this?

Back
Top Bottom