• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Constitutional Carry tracker.

Just a bit more freedom out of Texas today, a gift from the Govenor..... The second bill, which Abbott signed on Tuesday according to the state legislature's webpage, exempts Texas-made suppressors, also known as silencers, from the National Firearms Act, a body of laws that in part require gun owners to register NFA items, including suppressors and short-barreled rifles, with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives before paying a $200 tax. The legislation cleared the House in early May by a 95-51 vote and passed through the Senate by a 22-9 vote.
Any Texas manufacturer who is foolish enough to rely on that should probably look at every other test case.

They've all lost.

I am very excited about Pennsylvania.

I hope they can get things together with that traitorous R.

However, the D governor could just veto, right?

This was not even discussed 2 months ago, the last time I went to see what was new down there.

no idea. my perusal of the coverage all refers to residents. I looked for the text of the bill and scanned through it but didn't see anything about non-residents.

each time CC gets signed in a new state the reporting is almost always residents but it’s always wrong. Words matter and never more than in the language of a law or regulation. The media is very poor in the words they use in reporting and it seems like their worst choices of sloppy language is guns and gun laws.

before I was banned by Twitter 2 years ago (God forbid you don’t agree with transgender which seems to be the most important thing ever to that company), I would tweet or pm the state rep or senator of the bills in these states to ask if it applied to that states residents only. The answer was always it applied to anyone who wasn’t a prohibited person.

None of the new states passing CC are restricting it to residents only

I am very excited about Pennsylvania.

I hope they can get things together with that traitorous R.

However, the D governor could just veto, right?

This was not even discussed 2 months ago, the last time I went to see what was new down there.

PA governor is a liberal democrat, he absolutely would veto it. If all GOP voted to override the veto, they’d need to get dems in the state senate and 23 in the house. Most dems are from the cities and suburban philly so they’re likely to be very liberal and anti gun. I doubt enough would cross over.

wolf is term limited and up in 2022. The GOP is likely to increase their numbers in the legislature and will have a good shot at the governors office with a good candidate. A win in that election will mean CC passes in 2023. Similar situations in MI and WI. NC is along those lines but governor won’t be replaced until 2024 election

The GOP is likely to increase their numbers in the legislature and will have a good shot at the governors office with a good candidate. A win in that election will mean CC passes in 2023. Similar situations in MI and WI. NC is along those lines but governor won’t be replaced until 2024 election
That's presuming those states do something about the ballot stuffing issues they all have in a handful of counties prior to midterms and that HR1 doesn't pass.

Gov Greg Abbot, I'm a fan

Texas never has been, and is not now, even remotely the most pro-gun state in the country.

I grew up in the Ouachita Mountains of western Arkansas. Every summer of my childhood, we camped at a nearby USFS campground. My very wise father observed that we were surrounded by people with Texas license plates enjoying Arkansas, drinking Arkansas beer, and talking about how great Texas was.

He also pointed out that Texans are like Marines: they are entirely too fond of their own propaganda.

Texas never has been, and is not now, even remotely the most pro-gun state in the country.

I grew up in the Ouachita Mountains of western Arkansas. Every summer of my childhood, we camped at a nearby USFS campground. My very wise father observed that we were surrounded by people with Texas license plates enjoying Arkansas, drinking Arkansas beer, and talking about how great Texas was.

He also pointed out that Texans are like Marines: they are entirely too fond of their own propaganda.
Assuming a person can get a LTC in Mass - we have better gun laws.

What good is Constitutional Carry if you can't carry anywhere.

is there a thread going for the opposite of this....just saw this one and yikes.....

and here I though MA was bad, this will be ridiculous with each city having different regulations on what can be sold....

is there a thread going for the opposite of this....just saw this one and yikes.....

and here I though MA was bad, this will be ridiculous with each city having different regulations on what can be sold....
The bright side is that CO is going to do extremely dumb shit from a legal perspective that will result in federal court cases they will lose.

Reading through the bills, I was apparently breaking the law in Texas all these years. One of the new laws legalizes carrying a handgun in any fashion the person carrying wants to use. Previously the only options were belt carry or shoulder holster.

All those times I carried my 642 in a Mike Pocket Holster, I was breaking the law.

Reading through the bills, I was apparently breaking the law in Texas all these years. One of the new laws legalizes carrying a handgun in any fashion the person carrying wants to use. Previously the only options were belt carry or shoulder holster.

All those times I carried my 642 in a Mike Pocket Holster, I was breaking the law.

I believe that was for 'open carry'. It was a point of contention in the way it was written. [cheers]

3. Is a holster required for concealed carry in Texas?​

No, a holster is not required for concealed carry in Texas. However, holsters are required for open carry. If you plan to open carry your weapon, it must be in a shoulder or belt holster. However, since there are no specifications as to what type of shoulder or belt holster you can use, you do have options. Either way, we don’t advise that you just stick it in your pants and call it a day. That’s a bad idea — both legally and perhaps physically (Just ask Plaxico Burress). An important note: A holster does not eliminate the need for an LTC if you wish to open carry.

Also,

Safety v. Civility​

It is speculated that some legislators want Texas law to require that openly-carried handguns be in a holster solely to prevent a person from simply walking around with a pistol in their hand as some open-carry demonstrators have been doing with rifles and shotguns. This could certainly be the motive of some, especially if they are opposed to the open-carry concept. It is doubtful that law-abiding Texans would be so brazen, but it must be acknowledged that this could well be the motive for a small number of legislators.

It is far more likely that requiring the use of holsters is based upon safety concerns, rather than a civility concern. It is also likely that some legislators do not want people to simply put their handgun in their waistband where it could be easily dislodged.

In Louisiana, SB118, version of Constitutional Carry that passed the Senate, is now set for a final vote in the House! Should it pass it will head to John “Taco” Behl Edwards (LA Governor) desk where he will likely veto.

The Senate passed SB118 by a thin veto-proof majority and the House passed a similar bill also by a veto-proof majority.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
If he doesn't sign it, it's a death knell for his future political life. Edwards is a democrat in Louisiana and too far right for a republican in Mass.

You guys are just butthurt our trucks last 30 years with no rust.

You guys are just butthurt our trucks last 30 years with no rust.
Nope. I appreciate that, and I advise people that a one-way flight from MHT to DAL is cheap. Buy a good used truck and drive it home.

I lived in Texas for 24 years. I bought a low mileage 2001 GMC Z-71 there in 2012 and used it for our move to NH. If it hadn't been crushed by a tree in our driveway, I'd still be driving it.

If he doesn't sign it, it's a death knell for his future political life. Edwards is a democrat in Louisiana and too far right for a republican in Mass.

edwards is term limited as governor, can’t run again. He can’t win a congressional district or senate race there so his career in politics is pretty much over anyways.

I really believe that his best play is to do nothing and allow it to become law. That way he can tell the lefties that he didn’t sign it but can still claim to be Pro-2A by not having vetoed it and point to all of the Pro-2A reforms that he signed last year.

The fact that this bill passed the House and the Senate with veto-proof majorities, put him in a tough spot. Not sure that he was expecting that. Especially after all types of LE in the state came out against it.

We’ll find out this week.

edwards is term limited as governor, can’t run again. He can’t win a congressional district or senate race there so his career in politics is pretty much over anyways.
Not even close. He’s only 54 and is a rising star in the party and has a legit shot at a Senate seat here. If he plays his cards right.

Nope. I appreciate that, and I advise people that a one-way flight from MHT to DAL is cheap. Buy a good used truck and drive it home.

I lived in Texas for 24 years. I bought a low mileage 2001 GMC Z-71 there in 2012 and used it for our move to NH. If it hadn't been crushed by a tree in our driveway, I'd still be driving it.
I intend to do just this with my daughter for my 40th birthday.

Not even close. He’s only 54 and is a rising star in the party and has a legit shot at a Senate seat here. If he plays his cards right.

the only reason he’s governor is because of the jungle primary process in Louisiana and a split GOP vote. In the jungle primary in 2015 the GOP candidates received 57% of the vote and edwards face bitter who had ethical issues. In 2019 the GOP candidates received 50% of the primary vote. Edwards won the general by 3 points over a weak candidate

in a federal election he’d be tied to chuck Schumer and pelosi. Look at the two term gov in Montana who race for senate. He got crushed because he was a D in an R state. Trump won LA 58-39.

look at WV which used to be a democrat state like LA was. D state as recently as 2004. Manchin was elected governor by 30 points 15 years ago. He won his 2012 senate reelection by 24 percent but only won his 2018 election by 3% where the GOP senator won her reelection in 2020 by 43%.

LA is a deep red state where any democrat has a very small chance of winning any federal office election outside of the New Orleans congressional district

the only reason he’s governor is because of the jungle primary process in Louisiana and a split GOP vote. In the jungle primary in 2015 the GOP candidates received 57% of the vote and edwards face bitter who had ethical issues. In 2019 the GOP candidates received 50% of the primary vote. Edwards won the general by 3 points over a weak candidate

in a federal election he’d be tied to chuck Schumer and pelosi. Look at the two term gov in Montana who race for senate. He got crushed because he was a D in an R state. Trump won LA 58-39.

look at WV which used to be a democrat state like LA was. D state as recently as 2004. Manchin was elected governor by 30 points 15 years ago. He won his 2012 senate reelection by 24 percent but only won his 2018 election by 3% where the GOP senator won her reelection in 2020 by 43%.

LA is a deep red state where any democrat has a very small chance of winning any federal office election outside of the New Orleans congressional district
Hope that you are correct and that we can get a good Governor in 2023. Until then we have Taco Behl Edwards. Trust me, has political aspirations at only 54 years old. It may include running for Gov again in 2027 but that is a ways down the road.

In the meantime, I do expect him to take a shot a Senate seat. Bill Cassidy sucks and JBE could beat him assuming that Republican voters don’t passionately support Cassidy. But that is 2026. Then again maybe he’ll be the ‘Toe’s Veep after Slow Joe resigns/gets pushed out? Who knows. At 54, he’s going to be around in one way or another for a while.

BR is relatively blue and there are other pockets of blue in the state outside of NO. But NO is the population center of the state and the rest of the state is largely rural and sparsely populated.

Last edited:
Hope that you are correct and that we can get a good Governor in 2023. Until then we have Taco Behl Edwards. Trust me, has political aspirations at only 54 years old. It may include running for Gov again in 2027 but that is a ways down the road.

In the meantime, I do expect him to take a shot a Senate seat. Bill Cassidy sucks and JBE could beat him assuming that Republican voters don’t passionately support Cassidy. But that is 2026. Then again maybe he’ll be the ‘Toe’s Veep after Slow Joe resigns/gets pushed out? Who knows. At 54, he’s going to be around in one way or another for a while.

BR is relatively blue and there are other pockets of blue in the state outside of NO. But NO is the population center of the state and the rest of the state is largely rural and sparsely populated.

cassidy just won reelection last year with 60% of the vote in the jungle primary avoiding a runoff. In 2026 edwards will be out of office for 3 years and out of people’s minds, Cassidy will have a huge financial war chest having raised money for at least 6 years (that’s a big reason why senators often win reelection and LA being a very red state, no matter how good the candidate it’s very difficult to win against the political direction of the state.

edwards may have ambitions but the state’s profile won’t allow it. There are some very good GOP politicians in NY but they very unlikely to win a statewide federal race in NY because the majority of voters won’t support a GOP candidate linked to trump, McConnell etc. edwards can distance himself from Biden, pelosi Schumer etc because he’s not voting for or pressured to vote for the same bills. Heist first vot in DC would be for chuck Schumer as majority leader aka kill oil and gas production, pass gun control, raise taxes etc. he won’t be able to deal with that anchor in such a red state

cassidy just won reelection last year with 60% of the vote in the jungle primary avoiding a runoff. In 2026 edwards will be out of office for 3 years and out of people’s minds, Cassidy will have a huge financial war chest having raised money for at least 6 years (that’s a big reason why senators often win reelection and LA being a very red state, no matter how good the candidate it’s very difficult to win against the political direction of the state.

edwards may have ambitions but the state’s profile won’t allow it. There are some very good GOP politicians in NY but they very unlikely to win a statewide federal race in NY because the majority of voters won’t support a GOP candidate linked to trump, McConnell etc. edwards can distance himself from Biden, pelosi Schumer etc because he’s not voting for or pressured to vote for the same bills. Heist first vot in DC would be for chuck Schumer as majority leader aka kill oil and gas production, pass gun control, raise taxes etc. he won’t be able to deal with that anchor in such a red state
Cassidy is not very popular after his vote to impeach Trump for a 2nd time.

I think we are going to see some hanky panky from the DoJ to try and interfere in Con. Carry & 2A Sanctuaries. The current regime does not want the majority of the country demonstrating that an absence of Gun Segregation (Control) does not negatively affect crime rates.

Back
Top Bottom