Contact with Law Enforcement while concealed carrying question?

Keop

NES Member
The other day I was in the supermarket and observed a gentleman who was carrying concealed on the hip but printing pretty bad. I observed a few pensive looks from other shoppers and went about my way. However this non-event got me thinking. If a person is printing and law enforcement is called what can law enforcement legally do? I would assume that they would ask if you are armed and if you're licensed but would they disarm you first? Are they legally able to inspect your firearm, ammo, magazines, etc. if you provide a valid LTC? I'm really just curious what an interaction would or could look like.

Depends on the city
Fall River didn't give a shit when I set off the metal detector in their station for one of the 'listening' events back in 2013.
Cop went through - beep
I went through - beep
Cop shuts off machine
FUD 'gun owner' gives me dirty looks

When the cop comes up on you, yell "I have a gun!" at the top of your lungs.

Don't actually do that. You have to show them your LTC if they ask. Depends on the town/individual cop but pretty unlikely they'd disarm you unless they're trying to make a fuss or you are being sketchy.

IF the officer suspects the person is prohibited from carrying, the proper procedure is to ask if he has a LTC. It's not drawing guns ablaze. It's not code 3. It's not lockdown the supermarket.

Last edited:
They'd ask to see you LTC and by state law you are obligated to show it to them. Then depending on what city/town it is you'll either get interrogated a bit on the spot or told to conceal better and be on your merry way.

i know if someone calls in a complaint they have to investigate. i'm sure they don't want to have to do paperwork over a mundane call like that. i print all the time. i know if someone called and they responded they are gonna ask, i'm gonna say yes. i can make it much worse if i don't co-operate like some cowboys say they'll do. besides, all the cops know me. i just went to the station to renew my ltc last week and i was printing and telegraphing as i walked past the sticker on the door that had a pic of a gun with the slash across it. it might mean no guns inside??? 3 times while i was standing at the desk, a cop came up behind me to ask i was doing that fine day. point is, when you're an old fart like me you don't really care!

The following is free legal advice, posted with the very best intentions::

This thread is showing just another reason to ALWAYS be sure to wear your official CCW Sash and matching CCW Badge in clear visible sight (belt clip or neck chain worn is nationally recognized, honored & respected by all LEO).

If for some reason things go down from there, repeatedly explain in a loud and commanding voice; "I know my rights ...... I know my rights"

All will work out from that point on (but maybe not in the way you hoped it would).

And, when all else fails, cause at that point it just might = try throwing in the old proverbial bonus "I pay your salary"!
It's a well-known universal Law-enforcement-support appreciation statement.

And finally .... as you are being dragged by your feet to your black & white, free limo ride, and enjoying the concrete-like hard plastic backseat... toss out the classic but well loved
.... "hey, c'mon, I was only joking around guys"

(If possible, video and post your results)

Last edited:
i know if someone calls in a complaint they have to investigate. i'm sure they don't want to have to do paperwork over a mundane call like that. i print all the time. i know if someone called and they responded they are gonna ask, i'm gonna say yes. i can make it much worse if i don't co-operate like some cowboys say they'll do. besides, all the cops know me. i just went to the station to renew my ltc last week and i was printing and telegraphing as i walked past the sticker on the door that had a pic of a gun with the slash across it. it might mean no guns inside??? 3 times while i was standing at the desk, a cop came up behind me to ask i was doing that fine day. point is, when you're an old fart like me you don't really care!
The only part of getting old I look forward too is getting that benefit of the doubt.

it’s not about what the law says, so I’m not even going to go there.

All that matters is what kind of cop you get. They can laugh it off with you and talk guns for a couple minutes, or they can come in guns drawn and charge you with a felony and put your face on the local news.

They best way to avoid this is to wear the right clothes and carry the right gun in the right holster. I don’t understand how guys are walking around printing. I can carry a G-19 IWB and even a close inspection wouldnt tip you off I was carrying. Go up a size on your clothes and see how much better it is.

it’s not about what the law says, so I’m not even going to go there.

All that matters is what kind of cop you get. They can laugh it off with you and talk guns for a couple minutes, or they can come in guns drawn and charge you with a felony and put your face on the local news.

They best way to avoid this is to wear the right clothes and carry the right gun in the right holster. I don’t understand how guys are walking around printing. I can carry a G-19 IWB and even a close inspection wouldnt tip you off I was carrying. Go up a size on your clothes and see how much better it is.
Exactly right, concealing a handgun isn't rocket science. A little common sense goes a long way.

IF the officer suspects the person is prohibited from carrying, the proper procedure is to ask if he has a LTC. It's not drawing guns ablaze. It's not code 3. It's not lockdown the supermarket.
Close but no ceegar.

The proper procedure is to ask the subject to show the officer his LTC. Asking if one has an LTC is asking the subject if he is committing a crime and requires a Miranda warning.

Yes, really.

Yes, they can disarm you do whatever they want and inspect your gun, mag, etc - happened to someone I know.

Look up the Simkin case and stop worrying.
FIFY.

Commonwealth v. Couture COUTURE, COMMONWEALTH vs., 407 Mass. 178 is worth a read as well.

You can scream "Simkin!!!" all you want if you live in a red town but managed to get an LTC and it gets revoked if the issuing authority gets a report from the responding PD but it can still ne a slow expensive ride.

I love to play the game, “Who’s carrying” while accompanying the GF grocery shopping… occasionally the guy in the Mossy Oak ball cap wearing the Nine Line Apparel sweatshirt notices me check him out, but usually I’m wearing my faded American Flag trucker hat with my five day, no-shave beard and as our eyes meet, I give him the “whazzup bro” nod and he knows I’m one of the good guys too and probably carrying as I’m squeezing the melons in the produce section.

Why over think it?

I love to play the game, “Who’s carrying” while accompanying the GF grocery shopping… occasionally the guy in the Mossy Oak ball cap wearing the Nine Line Apparel sweatshirt notices me check him out, but usually I’m wearing my faded American Flag trucker hat with my five day, no-shave beard and as our eyes meet, I give him the “whazzup bro” nod and he knows I’m one of the good guys too and probably carrying as I’m squeezing the melons in the produce section.

Why over think it?
Maybe he's thinking "this guy thinks I'm cute".

Obligatory "MOVE TO NEW HAMPSHIRE!" post I was open carrying my 1911 Govt in Rindge and had an interesting conversation on the merits of the Caspian Arms 1911 with another open carrier of a 1911. Just two guys talking guns by the bakery Dept. No cops, No Karens, No Fudds. Just life in free America. [smile]

To avoid the situation all together you could open carry an AR-15 style rifle. You’d be doing everyone a favor by taking all the guess work out of it.

Dispatch: 9-1-1 what's your emergency?
Karen: there is a man with a gun in a holster at the grocery store
Dispatch: and what do you expect us to do
Karen: come down here and arrest the man with the gun
Dispatch: Ma'am, you're in New Hampshire, 80% of the people standing around you right now are carrying a gun, there are 200 people in the store, we are not coming down there and arresting 160 people who are doing nothing wrong. If you make us come down there we are arresting YOU.

OP, move north, enjoy the freedom, and stop worrying.

Dispatch: 9-1-1 what's your emergency?
Karen: there is a man with a gun in a holster at the grocery store
Dispatch: and what do you expect us to do
Karen: come down here and arrest the man with the gun
Dispatch: Ma'am, you're in New Hampshire, 80% of the people standing around you right now are carrying a gun, there are 200 people in the store, we are not coming down there and arresting 160 people who are doing nothing wrong. If you make us come down there we are arresting YOU.

OP, move north, enjoy the freedom, and stop worrying.
Not sure how 80% in a grocery store are possible with a NH gun ownership rate of 41% of the population. The rate of people that are actually carrying is even lower than the ownership rate.
Montana and Wyoming who have the highest ownership rate in the US (66%) come closer but again the number of people actually carrying is lower.

Back
Top Bottom