• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Contemplating Moving to a More Free State

Don't just focus on shitty gun laws (honestly, outside of the top worst states (NY, NJ, etc) most of the rest of them have ignorable or inconsequential gun laws that end up being
meaningless, at least for people with big kid pants ) focus on the shit you have to live with every day and conduct your life. And also local government police and other
stuff like that. You may find that even in a "Free" state you are trading one curse for another. With the exception of some of the worst states (MA, CT, CA, NJ, MD, etc) most of the
gun laws are either inconsequential or ignorable.

I'm also going to echo what @Admin says about property. Having your own place to shoot is a big deal. Clubs are getting more members and they ain't building any more
clubs, so obvious problem is obvious.

Greetings from coastal NC (Carteret County, Morehead City). Moved here from MA in 2017 after living there our whole lives.

Bought a 3300sf house on a half acre, with underground utilities. Good schools. Hospital is ~ 2 miles away. Beaches, boat ramps, etc. all nearby. every store and restaurant you can think of. My property taxes are ~$2300/yr combined for town and county. I paid $315k (from a distressed seller). Did ~15k worth of repairs, and my house is easy $425k now.

Everyone has guns. We all voted for Trump (town, county, and state all voted RED).

Put this same house on the cape and it would have cost $800k, with taxes probably close to $15k.

There is life outside New England.

I live in a fairly large house right now in MA, and it makes me sick to my stomach what I’m paying in property taxes. It’s criminal.

that’s really one of the big reasons I want to move. But I think just living up here is getting to me now. I can bear it, but I’m also seriously considering trying to get out while I’m young and at an advantage.

Look at MO, TN and AR. Very conservative and lowest on the list to get invaded by libturds. I escaped RI to MO and couldn’t be happier

housing is half the cost of New England
Lol look at those voting maps basically the entire missippi river voted blue.. granted there are a lot of dead people there but yeah libs are everywhere man... just they aren't shit ass crazy like the ny...nj...ca...ma ones

While only a joke post I'm sure, if one were to move to AK you would want to be on the road networks, not isolated in the SE or out in the Bush.

Lots of neat little areas between Homer/Seward and Anc. The same between Anc of Squarebanks off both the Parks or the Glenn.
Son Lance and wife have been in Fritz Creek, next to Homer for many years. Really like it there. Jack.

I live in a fairly large house right now in MA, and it makes me sick to my stomach what I’m paying in property taxes. It’s criminal.

that’s really one of the big reasons I want to move. But I think just living up here is getting to me now. I can bear it, but I’m also seriously considering trying to get out while I’m young and at an advantage.
I have a town house and what I pay is sickening in nh... almost 7k

Greetings from coastal NC (Carteret County, Morehead City). Moved here from MA in 2017 after living there our whole lives.

Bought a 3300sf house on a half acre, with underground utilities. Good schools. Hospital is ~ 2 miles away. Beaches, boat ramps, etc. all nearby. every store and restaurant you can think of. My property taxes are ~$2300/yr combined for town and county. I paid $315k (from a distressed seller). Did ~15k worth of repairs, and my house is easy $425k now.

Everyone has guns. We all voted for Trump (town, county, and state all voted RED).

Put this same house on the cape and it would have cost $800k, with taxes probably close to $15k.

There is life outside New England.
I'm buying a nice place in the Ozarks in south central Missouri to retire. $102K. Mortgage payment are around $475 a month. 9 acres of farm land with 2 acres of woods. 25' x 50' barn. Closest neighbor is about a half mile away. Smallish farm house (1900 sq ft) but then I don't want a mansion, it's just me and my wife. Annual property taxes; $290 a year... Solid red state (for now) and guns everywhere. Fishing and hunting is amazing.

There is a sales and income tax but it's not a "rape me" percentage. The place even comes with 1939 Ford 9N tractor w/ some attachments in very nice condition and purrs like a kitten.

They don't tax SS until you are making over 100K a year...nothing I'll have to worry about.

The owner asked me why I was moving to MO...I said I needed space to stretch out and I want to be left alone...he chuckled and said, "You'll fit right in here son"...He's 89 so he can call me son. :)

Last edited:
Look at MO, TN and AR. Very conservative and lowest on the list to get invaded by libturds. I escaped RI to MO and couldn’t be happier

housing is half the cost of New England
It's where I'm headed in a few months (MO)...finalizing the paperwork and closing in a few weeks. Home inspections today.

Don't just focus on shitty gun laws (honestly, outside of the top worst states (NY, NJ, etc) most of the rest of them have ignorable or inconsequential gun laws that end up being
meaningless, at least for people with big kid pants ) focus on the shit you have to live with every day and conduct your life. And also local government police and other
stuff like that. You may find that even in a "Free" state you are trading one curse for another. With the exception of some of the worst states (MA, CT, CA, NJ, MD, etc) most of the

I'm also going to echo what @Admin says about property. Having your own place to shoot is a big deal. Clubs are getting more members and they ain't building any more

In states with lots of new development, there are in fact more clubs being built. But not what we in New England would expect, which is a non-profit outdoor range of voting members that typically focuses on competitive shooting.

"Guntry" clubs are more popular out west and down south where its basically a private, pay range. Hell, there's a relatively new one that was built in RI recently. 150 yard indoor range for members only, FFL, various sporting goods, and upland hunting. Even a hotel and condos for members.

The Sporting Shoppe | Online Shopping for Firearms and Ammunition

https://preservesportingclub.com/?g...VqJFG7z5MYa77PtMjMOe5Xd-K0U21J1hoC1YEQAvD_BwE

I was listening to a couple of ham operators the other day, one being from Idaho...he was incensed at all the commies from cali moving to Wyoming, Idaho and Montana...he was saying you can't get away from them. He was talking to a guy from AZ. The guy from AZ was telling him, just wait until they get into government. Nowhere is safe anymore.

That's because conservatives don't pay attention to this and so the left sneaks in. First it's the schools, then the public libraries, then they run for school committee and town/city boards.

Most of us just want to be left Eff alone and aren't watching the creeping liberalism. My son even sees it in SC.

There are more of us than of them, but they are constantly seeking power and elective office.

We need to do the same.

It's where I'm headed in a few months (MO)...finalizing the paperwork and closing in a few weeks. Home inspections today.

Yeah, but then you'll have to live in Missouri.
j/k-while I'm not a huge fan of the terrain there, I know a shitload of good folks from MO.

Good luck with the move.

In states with lots of new development, there are in fact more clubs being built. But not what we in New England would expect, which is a non-profit outdoor range of voting members that typically focuses on competitive shooting.

"Guntry" clubs are more popular out west and down south where its basically a private, pay range. Hell, there's a relatively new one that was built in RI recently. 150 yard indoor range for members only, FFL, various sporting goods, and upland hunting. Even a hotel and condos for members.

The Sporting Shoppe | Online Shopping for Firearms and Ammunition

https://preservesportingclub.com/?g...VqJFG7z5MYa77PtMjMOe5Xd-K0U21J1hoC1YEQAvD_BwE

I am constantly surprised at how few "clubs" there are down south. When my son lived in AL he was a member of the FOP club which was open to everyone. There were restrictions for none LE members in terms of what ranges they could use, but it was only $50.00 a year. We also went to a couple of private ranges that charged by the hour. They were always crowded so doing things like sighting in a rifle were just about impossible.

In SC he goes to a commercial range that is $15.00/hour. I asked him about private clubs, but he said that he didn't know of any. OTOH, if you don't live in an incorporated area and have enough land, you can build a range on your property. I shot on a friends farm in TN a few years ago.

Hunting is also mostly on private property and you have to buy a lease from the owner.

That's because conservatives don't pay attention to this and so the left sneaks in. First it's the schools, then the public libraries, then they run for school committee and town/city boards.

Most of us just want to be left Eff alone and aren't watching the creeping liberalism. My son even sees it in SC.

There are more of us than of them, but they are constantly seeking power and elective office.

We need to do the same.
While true and I agree with you, many of these libs don't effing work or they are retired and have plenty of time to shit on the locals. While we conservatives are working all day and sometimes two or more jobs, they're not, or they have cushy non-profit or gov't jobs that allows them the time.

I was on the school board in my district and it was one voice against 11, all hardcore libs who either were retired, had gov't jobs or didn't work at all (husbands made enough so they could stay home all day). It was incredibly frustrating.

When I move to MO, I will be getting involved in local politics once I get the lay of the land though I don't know how things will go...you know, an "effete" north-easterner coming in to make waves. I need to play my cards carefully.

While true and I agree with you, many of these libs don't effing work or they are retired and have plenty of time to shit on the locals. While we conservatives are working all day and sometimes two or more jobs, they're not, or they have cushy non-profit or gov't jobs that allows them the time.

I was on the school board in my district and it was one voice against 11, all hardcore libs who either were retired, had gov't jobs or didn't work at all (husbands made enough so they could stay home all day). It was incredibly frustrating.

When I move to MO, I will be getting involved in local politics once I get the lay of the land though I don't know how things will go...you know, an "effete" north-easterner coming in to make waves. I need to play my cards carefully.

It will take a while, but if you aren't a jerk (I assume you aren't) and adopt the local culture, you'll find new friends and acceptance. My son and daughter in law moved to AL in 2012 and made some good friends. They live in SC now and have some very good friends among people who grew up in the county. Of course they are very conservative and are raising the kids that way, so it's easier.

I have a number of friends from TX and other southern states. Since I respect, not shit on, the southern culture I'm welcome down there when I go.

OTOH, I know a few people from New York City who are tolerated, but not really liked. That everything west of the Hudson River is hicksville attitude a lot of people from the northeast have is not a plus. Even conservatives from the northeast often laugh at people from the south. Don't be that guy and you'll be fine.

It will take a while, but if you aren't a jerk (I assume you aren't) and adopt the local culture, you'll find new friends and acceptance. My son and daughter in law moved to AL in 2012 and made some good friends. They live in SC now and have some very good friends among people who grew up in the county. Of course they are very conservative and are raising the kids that way, so it's easier.

I have a number of friends from TX and other southern states. Since I respect, not shit on, the southern culture I'm welcome down there when I go.

OTOH, I know a few people from New York City who are tolerated, but not really liked. That everything west of the Hudson River is hicksville attitude a lot of people from the northeast have is not a plus. Even conservatives from the northeast often laugh at people from the south. Don't be that guy and you'll be fine.
Totally agree... I lived outside of Memphis, TN, albeit in the mid 70's, for 2 years and loved the south and fit in great. Personally, I detest the "uppity-ness" of many of those in the Northeast with the way they look down their noses at anyone south of the Mason Dixon line (I realize that MO is above the line but they were still a slave state). MO is a strange state, not really southern, more mid-western mindset in the northern part of the state and southern mindset in the southern part. It's an interesting dichotomy within one state.

TV didn't help the cause either that everyone in Appalachia and the south are idiot hicks. I find many, if not most, southern folks kind and very hospitable (the old southern hospitality thing is very real). The fact that my wife has family there won't hurt, though they are originally from California and moved there about 18 years ago but they fit right in because they're just like those in that town...simple folk, hard workers and very conservative.

It even exists in mass, if you live west of 495 everyone acts like you're on f***ing planet zebulon. [rofl]

I have been looking on the top of SC, near Charlotte.

But I am having trouble finding gun clubs near by, also, can a gun owner from SC carry in NC without any trouble?

The area doesn't look bad and only 19min from Charlotte.
if i had stayed in charlotte i was going to move over the line to fort mill. i used to live in south charlotte and commute there anyway. tax savings, cheaper insurance, etc. not that charlotte was all that expensive

there's a nice brand new indoor range near the airport. i also have friends that do idpa most west of charlotte, union county area. not far

We need to do the same.
The reason that the left is creeping in everywhere is because we say "I am moving to where everyone thinks like me" and they are saying "I'm moving to a place and going to make them think like me".

We need to say "I am moving somewhere I like and keeping it that way".

Great, Texas has more restrictions than you would like. Move there and work to make the restrictions go away. The other side is absolutely going to move there and try to add more restrictions. If you aren't there to balance things out guess who wins.

Yeah, but then you'll have to live in Missouri.
j/k-while I'm not a huge fan of the terrain there, I know a shitload of good folks from MO.
Have to live in MO??? I'm on 16 acres. Street is 2.5 miles long, 10 houses. I have 2 pistol ranges and 100yd rifle range on my property. I quite like my terrain. This is my front yard with a 2-acre stocked pond

IMG_5849.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I was listening to a couple of ham operators the other day, one being from Idaho...he was incensed at all the commies from cali moving to Wyoming, Idaho and Montana...he was saying you can't get away from them. He was talking to a guy from AZ. The guy from AZ was telling him, just wait until they get into government. Nowhere is safe anymore.

We need to do the same.
This reminds me of the documentary Welcome to Leith, where basically an organized neo nazi group moved to a tiny North Dakota town where they had majority over current residents and started changing government because they had the votes.

This reminds me of the documentary Welcome to Leith, where basically an organized neo nazi group moved to a tiny North Dakota town where they had majority over current residents and started changing government because they had the votes.
That is exactly what just happened in Congress and the White House. Just wait.

This map gives you a better idea of what states are free-er. If you hold the cursor over the state it gives you the percentage that voted for Trump. Ex. Wyoming is 70.38%
It might help if I'd posted the map. election map 2020 - Bing

Last edited:
I visit Fort Mill, SC often. Great place. Last time there I was checking out some guns at the pawn shop, owner said he would give me a great deal. I said, just looking, I only have Utah and Florida LTC, he said we just have to drive 2 miles up the road and complete the sale over the border in NC.:)
My daughter lives in Ft. Mill. Nice little town for now. Area is growing big time and all the conviences are close.

Charlotte is a liberal bastion, but what big city isn't. The area is very much red.

I've thought of getting a good amount of land (no worrying about shooting ranges, I'll have my own) near Lancaster or maybe further northwest in the state where its a little cooler and some hills. Which i need to check out the South West corner the next time down.

I'm also on the fence about just buying real hunting land in Ohio, Kentucky, MO, or OK. Rolling oak hills is what I like to look at.

Texas and Tennessee are the two most inflow states right now........with people trying to escape libtardism, get country, and find jobs.

Last edited:

This is true. You go down there, youll find guns are a part of the culture. People do not talk about gun laws, or whatever because gun laws for the most part don't exist.
I used to bring it up what we go thru in the northeast, but now I don't because most of them just don't understand and question why we would bother listening to that crap.

I'm a big proponent of buying a decent lot of land as well. Its one of the big reasons I have not moved yet.

Back
Top Bottom