• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Contemplating Moving to a More Free State

Definitely go, enjoy your youth living the way you want. The only thing I miss is Tex Berrys and blademeat. [wink]

There is no where that is "safe" or "free", only free-er for now. The people leaving liberal states are infesting red states at an accelerated rate and they are all under attack. When you get your location picked, get involved in EVERYTHING local, school budget meetings, town budget meetings, planning board meetings, EVERYTHING. It takes work to keep things the way it is when you get there.
Damn you hit the nail on the head with Tex Barry’s. When my mom divorced my father and was scraping by on pennies, she used to take my sister and I there for dinner a couple times. Never underestimate the greatness that can come from a couple of steamed natural casing franks and some shoestring French fries for $3-4. Some of my fondest memories. Blade meat as well, she used to get it from local markets in Cumberland/Central Falls.

I really underestimated Utah. After reading some of the responses here, I think I was just so caught up in Moab and not opening my mind to the fact that northern Utah, by Provo looks fantastic.

I don’t anticipate engaging in buying property with my significant other until I know that we will potentially spend the rest of our lives together. That’s another conversation though. I’m just gauging areas that I could potentially move to. It seems that my career allows me to move fairly freely from what I’m seeing. Job opportunities exist, but as stated. I would look to travel a few times to said areas before committing such a big move.

Damn you hit the nail on the head with Tex Barry’s. When my mom divorced my father and was scraping by on pennies, she used to take my sister and I there for dinner a couple times. Never underestimate the greatness that can come from a couple of steamed natural casing franks and some shoestring French fries for $3-4. Some of my fondest memories. Blade meat as well, she used to get it from local markets in Cumberland/Central Falls.
I grew up sitting at the bar in the Park Tavern with my father, so that is where my blademeat memories come from. I was crushed when I found out they demod the place. I get the meat from Castro's now and cook it myself.

Last edited:
Texas is probably the most overrated place in the world. The Texas ego is unwarranted. The gun laws are honestly sub-par. You can't carry a gun without a permit, the stupid 50 percent bar law makes you a felon for going into a restaurant, and there's binding signage EVERYWHERE. I'm so tired of hearing the myth that Texas is a gun owners paradise, it's in the middle of the pack at best.

It's also one giant strip mall, unless you're in west Texas, which gets a little more scenic if you're into oil fields.

Ironically the coolest place for a 30 something is Austin, but it's as left as any other major US city. Excellent restaurants, greenway, nightlife.

The west has pockets of beautiful areas that are growing rapidly and have produced tremendous real estate prices. If you're looking for a state that will likely never turn blue Wyoming is probably your best bet. It isn't growing like Idaho, Utah, or Montana. Jackson region is beautiful but stupid expensive. I'd look around Cody.

I can't comment on South Carolina as I've been once. I was personally unimpressed, but it seems like it's only going to get "redder" over time and you can escape to the beach as you see fit. Plus southern girls are fantastic if things fall apart with your current situation...

Honestly a balanced life with red politics, varied activities, fantastic weather, and proximity to other cool states is probably Utah.
Their economy is booming, it's safe, and you've got both outdoor and urban life. Sure there are mormons but the state is more culturally progressive than it used to be (in a good way).

I've lived in Colorado, Montana, and New Mexico so if you have any more questions feel free to reach out.

I'm also 32 for what it's worth...
I would add for Wyoming, if you have any major health concerns that could or do currently need regular treatment then Wyoming is not for you.

The Hill Country of Texas isn't like Mount Rushmore, but it isn't flat. North and west Texas are mostly flat. If you get to the western part of the Panhandle, you start to run into some mountainous terrain, but it's cold in winter and the winds whip down from the Great Plains. Most of the Californians are roosting in Travis County. Texas is still #1 on my want to move to list, but Tennessee is as well.

South Carolina is beautiful and much more than the coast. If you are worried about hurricanes, move up state to the Piedmont area. Lancaster County, which is just across the state line from Charlotte, NC is very nice. You get the benefits of lower taxes and more conservative politics with the advantages of a big city. It's a fast growing area.

Both TX and SC are shall issue states although they require classes before you can apply for a license.

I have obligations here that are keeping my from moving, otherwise I'd be pounding a for sale sign into my front lawn.

I am fortunate enough to be in a situation where I could uproot my life and move. I have been heavily weighing this option over the past year with the way everything has shaken down. I know ultimately there is no escaping this new administration, but I envy seeing those that live in more conservative states for a variety of reasons.

my girl and I have talked about South Carolina. She likes it there and has always wanted to go. I am not too keen on the idea because I don’t know much about it there, I’ve been to Myrtle Beach once and I know it’s kind of prone to hurricanes.

I like Texas, but it’s flat and I hate how it seems that Californians are destined to ruin the state. Arizona seems cool, in certain areas. I love the idea of Colorado (although more blue, maybe not a good idea), Utah, or Wyoming. But again, I know nothing about the mountain region. The only part that sucks about that is I will usually like to visit the coast once a year, which wouldn’t be possible with a landlocked state.

has anyone thought the same? Where seems the most prosperous for a more free future? I am
Fairly young (30) and we don’t have plans for kids any time soon.
I was listening to a couple of ham operators the other day, one being from Idaho...he was incensed at all the commies from cali moving to Wyoming, Idaho and Montana...he was saying you can't get away from them. He was talking to a guy from AZ. The guy from AZ was telling him, just wait until they get into government. Nowhere is safe anymore.

I visit Fort Mill, SC often. Great place. Last time there I was checking out some guns at the pawn shop, owner said he would give me a great deal. I said, just looking, I only have Utah and Florida LTC, he said we just have to drive 2 miles up the road and complete the sale over the border in NC.:)

I heard good things about SC from a gun loving friend. She had to move to MI in 2019 for her husband's PhD program. I'm sure they will leave there when he is completed. Texas has no state income tax and we do have hills. Even some mountains but those tend to be in the middle of the deserts. Big Bend has mountains and Canyons but is technically semi-arid desert and has about 5 different "zones" of geology. Guadalupe Mountains are also in what I would guess is a desert. Certainly isn't forested. But there is "hill country" which happens to coincide with the "wine region" and there is east Texas which has hills and forests as well.

We need more freedom lovers to keep us on track although the majority of people moving from CA to TX are actually conservative, at least they have been registering as Republican.

I have been looking on the top of SC, near Charlotte.

But I am having trouble finding gun clubs near by, also, can a gun owner from SC carry in NC without any trouble?

The area doesn't look bad and only 19min from Charlotte.

Just some food for thought, it's going to be worth watching the intro of illegals being turned into legals since Biden is pretty much opening that door. Making an educated guess that illegals will swing the population scales much further blue in the coming years. And for the record I'm not anti-immigration, I believe skirting the immigration laws of the US is a slap in the face to those who spent time, sweat, and $$ to come here by the rules. We are blessed to live in this Nation even with the problems at hand, I and do not blame anyone for wanting to give themselves or family a better life.

How about Florida? I’m retired and now waiting for my wife to call it quits soon. We are thinking of a new build in or near Venice. I’m so done with this state. Good luck in your search.

But I am having trouble finding gun clubs near by, also, can a gun owner from SC carry in NC without any trouble?

SC Ranges, don't know what area you are looking, but there are some state run ranges spread out around the area.
And if you have a SC concealed weapons permit (CWP) you can go to NC. Basically, you can own, transport, purchase anything you want without the CWP, but you need the CWP to carry.

If only I could stomach eating salmon, I’d be in Port Protection, Alaska, LOL!

While only a joke post I'm sure, if one were to move to AK you would want to be on the road networks, not isolated in the SE or out in the Bush.

Lots of neat little areas between Homer/Seward and Anc. The same between Anc of Squarebanks off both the Parks or the Glenn.

Just buy a house that has enough space for a range. Sure beats loading the truck with all your shooting gear. It's nice when you can walk out on the patio and test some new hand loads.

When we left MA, we went to NM.
Then to AZ. Our town is 3,600 population, about 40 minutes north of Tucson proper.
I saw a bumper sticker on a car that had the outline of CA on it and it said "go home".
Now that I'm here I feel the same way about liberal MA refugees coming here for the wrong reasons....

Last edited:
Texas is probably the most overrated place in the world. The Texas ego is unwarranted. The gun laws are honestly sub-par. You can't carry a gun without a permit, the stupid 50 percent bar law makes you a felon for going into a restaurant, and there's binding signage EVERYWHERE. I'm so tired of hearing the myth that Texas is a gun owners paradise, it's in the middle of the pack at best.

It's also one giant strip mall, unless you're in west Texas, which gets a little more scenic if you're into oil fields.

Ironically the coolest place for a 30 something is Austin, but it's as left as any other major US city. Excellent restaurants, greenway, nightlife.

The west has pockets of beautiful areas that are growing rapidly and have produced tremendous real estate prices. If you're looking for a state that will likely never turn blue Wyoming is probably your best bet. It isn't growing like Idaho, Utah, or Montana. Jackson region is beautiful but stupid expensive. I'd look around Cody.

I can't comment on South Carolina as I've been once. I was personally unimpressed, but it seems like it's only going to get "redder" over time and you can escape to the beach as you see fit. Plus southern girls are fantastic if things fall apart with your current situation...

Honestly a balanced life with red politics, varied activities, fantastic weather, and proximity to other cool states is probably Utah.
Their economy is booming, it's safe, and you've got both outdoor and urban life. Sure there are mormons but the state is more culturally progressive than it used to be (in a good way).

I've lived in Colorado, Montana, and New Mexico so if you have any more questions feel free to reach out.

I'm also 32 for what it's worth...
.... Austin is as blue as other cities.... cities like stalingrad maybe

Just buy a house that has enough space for a range. Sure beats loading the truck with all your shooting gear. It's nice when you can walk out on the patio and test some new hand loads.
I hear you, and that is what I would prefer. But the closer you get to a city, the harder that gets.

I would love to have a small range just for steel challenge in the back yard. Then go to a club for long range stuff once in a while.

How about Florida? I’m retired and now waiting for my wife to call it quits soon. We are thinking of a new build in or near Venice. I’m so done with this state. Good luck in your search.
I have a friend that just built in Naples. Sent me a listing for his neighbors house with an aereal picture. 2 houses have backyard ranges. And he is building one Lol.

The lots are, I think 3 acres, but they are long, which gives you a lot of room for a nice pistol range and maybe rifle.

Buying the lot next to his is an option I am considering. He might buy a lot behind his house, and I might also buy two lots next to his. But I don't know yet. I am all over the place looking at stuff and researching. From NC, to TN to GA and FL.

Greetings from coastal NC (Carteret County, Morehead City). Moved here from MA in 2017 after living there our whole lives.

Bought a 3300sf house on a half acre, with underground utilities. Good schools. Hospital is ~ 2 miles away. Beaches, boat ramps, etc. all nearby. every store and restaurant you can think of. My property taxes are ~$2300/yr combined for town and county. I paid $315k (from a distressed seller). Did ~15k worth of repairs, and my house is easy $425k now.

Everyone has guns. We all voted for Trump (town, county, and state all voted RED).

Put this same house on the cape and it would have cost $800k, with taxes probably close to $15k.

There is life outside New England.

When we left MA, we went to NM.
Then to AZ. Our town is 3,600 population, about 40 minutes north of Tucson proper.
I saw a bumper sticker on a car that had the outline of CA on it and it said "go home".
Now that I'm here I feel the same way about liberal MA refugees coming here for the wrong reasons....
I used to have a bumper sticker on one of prior my cars that read:

Welcome to New Hampshire. Now GO HOME!!!

Back
Top Bottom