Contemplating Moving to a More Free State

Ste. Genevieve and St. Francois Counties. I live in the town of Ste. Genevieve. There are lots of other rural areas as well

Last edited:
I’m biased, Pennsylvania is so good. Big cities, employment opportunities and vast countryside so expansive it will blow your mind. I can still hike into the PA Wilds and not see any signs of civilization for days.

Mild thread hi-jack, but might help OP too. What's the best option to live somewhere you can shoot on your own property without anyone giving you any sh*t and still have a relatively modern town or City within a 30 minute drive? Does that exist, or is that just my fantasy? I'm thinking somewhere Arizona, but not sure where to start looking. Looking to have all my escape plans ready well before I am able to commit.

Mild thread hi-jack, but might help OP too. What's the best option to live somewhere you can shoot on your own property without anyone giving you any sh*t and still have a relatively modern town or City within a 30 minute drive? Does that exist, or is that just my fantasy? I'm thinking somewhere Arizona, but not sure where to start looking. Looking to have all my escape plans ready well before I am able to commit.
i mean you can do that in rhode island

You can shoot on your own land in RI. I think that there is a 500-ft limit from a house if I remember right.

No NFA is allowed. Since I escaped RI, I now have a short-barreled, suppressed machine gun that I named "FU RI"

That's a good chunk of the state. I never knew that about RI. But...are NFA items off the table? That would be a deal breaker if I were trying to move to greener pastures.
The only things you can't get in ri are silencers and tasers

Edit: haven't looked at machine guns, but I guess you can't

I am fortunate enough to be in a situation where I could uproot my life and move. I have been heavily weighing this option over the past year with the way everything has shaken down. I know ultimately there is no escaping this new administration, but I envy seeing those that live in more conservative states for a variety of reasons.

my girl and I have talked about South Carolina. She likes it there and has always wanted to go. I am not too keen on the idea because I don’t know much about it there, I’ve been to Myrtle Beach once and I know it’s kind of prone to hurricanes.

I like Texas, but it’s flat and I hate how it seems that Californians are destined to ruin the state. Arizona seems cool, in certain areas. I love the idea of Colorado (although more blue, maybe not a good idea), Utah, or Wyoming. But again, I know nothing about the mountain region. The only part that sucks about that is I will usually like to visit the coast once a year, which wouldn’t be possible with a landlocked state.

has anyone thought the same? Where seems the most prosperous for a more free future? I am
Fairly young (30) and we don’t have plans for kids any time soon.

Don't know how I missed this thread. Seems one every couple of weeks pops up; can't imagine why. Montana for me. Heading there tomorrow for two weeks. Staying at the small townhouse we purchased about five months ago. Making final arrangements here to retire from my business. Need my daughter to get married in June, and then we are gone. My daughter and her husband are coming as well. She already has her career lined up out there. Actually, she is heading out in a month to help out her new place of business get through tax season. My oldest daughter lives out there now, keeping watch on the townhouses (bought the abutting as well in December).

Montana will be our sanctuary state. They come for us there then it will be time to take the high ground and just deal with it. Adios Massachusetts. May you rot in hell. You are going to choke your residents to death with your additional planned taxes, go green initiatives, shut downs, etc. I just feel bad for all the good people that live here because there are a bunch of them. You can say I am running away but I think there would be nothing better than if all hard working, America loving citizens, all flocked out of these liberal shitholes and congregated in a few healthy red states. It would solve a lot of problems and really open the eyes of a lot people, including the morons in office.

There is no NFA allowed in Rhode Island....

Thanks for confirming. I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. No deal for me then. If I'm making the move, all take and no give as far as 2A rights go. Need 1) on property outdoor shooting. 2) No AWB's or mag restrictions of any sort. 3) NFA items are cool with tax stamp.

Thanks for confirming. I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. No deal for me then. If I'm making the move, all take and no give as far as 2A rights go. Need 1) on property outdoor shooting. 2) No AWB's or mag restrictions of any sort. 3) NFA items are cool with tax stamp.
yeah i was just more referring to shooting on your land and not being completely in the boonies. and not having some of the mass restrictions

I was listening to a couple of ham operators the other day, one being from Idaho...he was incensed at all the commies from cali moving to Wyoming, Idaho and Montana...he was saying you can't get away from them. He was talking to a guy from AZ. The guy from AZ was telling him, just wait until they get into government. Nowhere is safe anymore.
This.
It isn’t about you moving and then voting in a state.. it is about making sure the other side does not beat you to it

You can shoot on your land in Richmond. Foster, gloster, and be about half an hour from providence.

Backwoods RI is loosing out to suburban sprawl and "Fake Rednecks." I could write pages about this because its exactly why I want out of RI, currently.

Lol, machine guns, SBR, etc, too. All off limits. Not sure if there is a dealer exemption or not but I sort of doubt it....

There isn't a ban on AOWs or DDs, though no one really knows about how owning one would shake out. There may be a way for dealers' FFLs to sell NFA items to police, but I'm by no means clear on the details and I'm not interested in exploring these rabbit holes too deeply.

yeah i was just more referring to shooting on your land and not being completely in the boonies. and not having some of the mass restrictions
I do that in NH and I am less than 15 minutes from a Whole Foods and a Trader Joes. Mostly suppressed 22 because I don't have THAT much land and I am courteous to my neighbors but there are people with more land that can set up proper ranges and shoot whatever. A guy a mile or so away supposedly has a 100 yard range and shoots .50 BMG rumor has it.

There isn't a ban on AOWs or DDs, though no one really knows about how owning one would shake out. There may be a way for dealers' FFLs to sell NFA items to police, but I'm by no means clear on the details and I'm not interested in exploring these rabbit holes too deeply.

The question is this, "will the ATF NFA Branch cockblock a stamp application or not?" that's really the only thing that matters where the rubber meets the road, in most states.

The question is this, "will the ATF NFA Branch cockblock a stamp application or not?" that's really the only thing that matters where the rubber meets the road, in most states.

That's unknown, to my knowledge at least. The texts of RI's ban on MGs, SBRs, and SBSs lacks any reference to AOWs or DDs. So, maybe?

That's unknown, to my knowledge at least. The texts of RI's ban on MGs, SBRs, and SBSs lacks any reference to AOWs or DDs. So, maybe?

If it's silent, then it might be allowed. Depending on whether or not the RI AGs office (or similar?) likes to blow smoke up the ass of the NFA branch or not.

EOPS and or the AG in mass have done that on random odd intervals, usually until some mass NFA collector guy hires an NFA attorney to issue a "professional informational session" to folks at the NFA branch.

That's a clear sign ones state is garbage, when they don't even act in good faith with other government entities when it comes to the manner f***ing people out of their rights...... /micro rant.

If it's silent, then it might be allowed. Depending on whether or not the RI AGs office (or similar?) likes to blow smoke up the ass of the NFA branch or not.

EOPS and or the AG in mass have done that on random odd intervals, usually until some mass NFA collector guy hires an NFA attorney to issue a "professional informational session" to folks at the NFA branch.

That's a clear sign ones state is garbage, when they don't even act in good faith with other government entities when it comes to the manner f***ing people out of their rights...... /micro rant.

The issue isn't touched on by anyone, not the RI 2A community, not the RI AG, and not the courts to my knowledge. I think most people just assume there's a total NFA ban and that's that.

There's also the practical problem of owning DDs or AOWs. There just aren't many say grenade launchers out and about.

Back
Top Bottom