• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cool Video of Catastrophic AR Failure

Notice the head protection he wears when firing the H&K, and then the different head protection when firing the Colt.

Basically there is no head protection when firing the H&K, and he is wearing a very hard helmet for the Colt.

Why did he choose to use no head protection on one, and significant on the other.

Is it possible it is a setup? Did they do something to the Colt to make sure it failed, and thus made sure the tester wore much better safety equipment.

Something does not smell right...

Rich

Believe me I wish could agree that this was a setup (I own two Colt AR's), but I think it's the difference in the way the guns are designed. From what I've learned from sources that have no ax to grind for H&K, the H&K 416's are specifically designed to fire reliably under those conditions. This test was obviously sponsored/put on by H&K, I think the men in the video knew exactly what was going to happen with the conventional AR-15 and that's why they had the extra safety gear on. Like I said, I wish I could call BS on this video as I own some of the "failed" product, but I do think the H&K 416 is just a more advanced design. Having said that, I do not wish to sell my Colts, so no offers to take them off my hands [wink]

Note to self: Do NOT fire AR after swimming with it for at least one hour.

Or was that, don't go swimming after eating.[thinking]

I noticed when he fired the HK you could see a stream of water jet out of the back of the stock. It continued with subsequent shots. Is it possible the water stayed in the buffer and caused the gun to fail?

I would imagine they tried the experiment previously, before doing it again for the camera.

They fired the AR much quicker (comparatively) after it came out of the water in test A. Don't know if would have made a difference but....

It would have have been more watchable without that damnable European Techno-crap music in the background.

From the comments section:

Qte:
"the 416 has specially placed holes to drain water out water fast while the colt doesnt so i wasnt supprised at all"
:UNQte

It would have have been more watchable without that damnable European Techno-crap music in the background.

LOL...totally agree with you there!!! [rofl] Kinda sounds like that AT&T cell phone ad...you know, the one with Slad & Vidor, the techno twins...LOL.

HK has been running an ad campaign against the AR for a while now. They want to be the next US battle rifle. I think they should lobby the German army to go out and fight instead. Funny that thy do water testing in a garden pond.

I noticed when he fired the HK you could see a stream of water jet out of the back of the stock. It continued with subsequent shots. Is it possible the water stayed in the buffer and caused the gun to fail?

IMO.... Missing the buttstock extension tube bolt.... Hence, the water jet out the back... Now, I would like to see what happens to the H&K when that is jammed up.... [thinking]

Anyone watch until the end?

It ends with a screen showing "Leading trough [sic] technology" (at 4:25)!

Totally legit.

Now we can add the waterlogged AR deathtrap to the "all glocks will explode on you" and "all beretta 92s will imbed its slide into your forehead" gun mythos, along with "plastic framed guns will melt in your holster" and other undisputed facts that fanboys/haters like to quote when engaged in the ever-popular "my gun can beat up your gun" debates.

Back
Top Bottom