Coronavirus shutdown doesn’t close Springfield Smith & Wesson plant

Reptile

NES Member
SPRINGFIELD — Saying it is “critical infrastructure for the United States and the Commonwealth,” gunmaker Smith & Wesson is keeping its manufacturing plants, including the Springfield factory, operational during Gov. Charlie Baker’s order closing “nonessential” businesses across the state.

“We provide firearms, restraints, parts, training, maintenance, and services to law enforcement agencies and the businesses that serve them throughout our great country,” Elizabeth A. Sharp, vice president of investor relations for parent company American Outdoor Brands Corp., said in a statement.

Smith & Wesson is also identifying resources it can offer to state and local governments, including an offsite employee medical clinic, food preparation facilities, a forge and the largest collection of computer numerical control (CNC) machines in Western Massachusetts.

I have toured the plant 4 times.

They told me that they planned to operate in the event of a regional or national disaster.

The probably never planned for a virus, but they are dealing with it quite well.

One of the big hallways under ground and within the plant serves as a bomb shelter.
It was valued during WW2 but never really used.

An interesting observation was that the plant had a very distinct smell.
It smelled sort of like machine oil or even maybe the smell a vacuum cleaner that was running for a long time.
When I asked the origin of the odor - nobody who worked there could comment.
They just don't smell it anymore because they got used to it.
Sort of like the baker stops smelling the bakery because he is used to it.

I can't either, but I had to teach it. I'm one of the smarter teachers, so my advice is : Vote Charter School whenever possible!!! I got in trouble for not teaching Leninism several times, and the teachers' union, while a great concept, embraces social education at the expense of such things as facts.

Good. Now start making M&P-15's for the huddled masses in Mass. Politicians be damned...

An interesting observation was that the plant had a very distinct smell.
It smelled sort of like machine oil or even maybe the smell a vacuum cleaner that was running for a long time.
When I asked the origin of the odor - nobody who worked there could comment.
They just don't smell it anymore because they got used to it.
Sort of like the baker stops smelling the bakery because he is used to it.

Talked to my former co-workers at Sig, they are staying open in the event of major shut down. Some people are rotating working from home, but they are building. Parts will be the next problem if this keeps up for long.

This is why it is critically important to build redundancy into your Dedicated Defensive Platforms, as well as common wear parts and springs/mags.

A shitload of ammo and a broken firearm is no bueno...

Funny how Baker agrees that gun manufacturing is an "essential" business, but retailers that actually sell those products are not, and thus shut down.

The fedex guy that delivers to my work also runs to smith. His package count for them has reduced but still has Plenty to bring them

Back
Top Bottom