• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Corroded brushes

Of all the metal bore brushes I have, only 2 have become corroded green. The others are copper colored after years of use. Got any ideas why? Were they cheapies? I want to replace them with new ones. [?]

Corroded green, sounds like copper patina. So I would assume that the older brushes were copper, where as the newer brushes are bronze.

BTW, I think this question would be better served in the Equipment forum.

Adam

Some cleaning solvents, especially ones containing ammonia will eat copper and bronze brushes. What solvent are you using? You're better off using a nylon brush if your solvent has high ammonia content like Sweets.

A good thing to do(I do it) is to wash off your brushes with brake cleaner spray after you use them. But make sure they're good and dry before you let them touch anything plastic (plastic storage tubes). Wet brake cleaner 'll eat plastic.

Jarhead

Only use Hoppes #9 on them. I think Adam_MA might be onto something. See if I can get some all bronze. There's a guy at all the local gun shows that has a load of them in all calibers and gauges. They're cheap and top quality, no corrosion.

I thought I did post this in equipment. Must be losing it. Thanks much, guys. :eek:

Another thought too...

If the brush wasn't cleaned off after scrubbing a barrel that was copper fouled, the copper that was left on the brush could be what's corroded.

Like jarhead said, clean them when you are done, break cleaner or barrel scrubber (basically the same thing) should work just fine.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom