Cost to start reloading.

Recently picked up a 44 magnum carbine. And had sticker shock when I went to purchase ammo. Decided this might be the caliber that causes me to learn to reload. Trying to figure out what a basic reloading set will cost me and what can I realistically expect to pay if I reload my own 44 magnum. Unfortunately I'm unable to use cast bullets so I'm stuck with JHP or semi jacketed soft points or fmj

You can get into for as little as 200$ for equipment.
You can go real cheap also

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies everyone I really appreciate it. I think a single stage is the way to go for me. 50 rounds will give me a weeks worth of shooting.

As of right now I have around 250 rounds so the brass would be free. Around 100 of which is wadcutters which I have to load 1 at a time because they will not fit in the rotary magazine. Iv heard that with my particular rifle (Ruger Deerfield semi carbine) lead cast tends to clog the gas system up so I'd prefer to avoid that situation. If I can keep the cost under .50 a round I'd be happy

within the next few weeks I'll be buying my first press and on Labor Day weekend I'll be headed to Hampton beach and will be making the trip to kittery so I will pick up some supplies. Again thanks everyone for the advice.

When I started a couple of years ago I bought a Lee turret press and dies for 45 acp and 9mm. I bought enough brass to get me started then started using range brass. I figured that I broke even at 1000 rounds. I'll work up to a progressive eventually, but I'm able to make 200 rounds/hour which is fine for now. Rifle rounds take a lot longer due to case prep.

I buy my bullets from a company (pm me if you want info) that allows you to ship back brass for credit. Currently its $1.45/lb, but its been in the $2.70 range not that long ago. So I'll collect brass at the range which allows me to get the projectiles relatively cheaply.

They also sell primed .223 brass, which don't need to be prepped, just loaded.

Overall, I shoot more and I'm saving a ton of money. And I enjoy it.

Good luck.

I'll second the Lee Turret press. a kit like this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-classic-4-hole-turret-press-deluxe-kit has pretty much everything you'll need minus dies, powder, primers and bullets. I can easily crank out 200 rounds/hour also.

You can also get copper plated bullets for less than jacketed bullets, search around the web and you'll find the suppliers.

Thanks for all the replies everyone I really appreciate it. I think a single stage is the way to go for me. 50 rounds will give me a weeks worth of shooting.

As of right now I have around 250 rounds so the brass would be free. Around 100 of which is wadcutters which I have to load 1 at a time because they will not fit in the rotary magazine. Iv heard that with my particular rifle (Ruger Deerfield semi carbine) lead cast tends to clog the gas system up so I'd prefer to avoid that situation. If I can keep the cost under .50 a round I'd be happy

within the next few weeks I'll be buying my first press and on Labor Day weekend I'll be headed to Hampton beach and will be making the trip to kittery so I will pick up some supplies. Again thanks everyone for the advice.

You'll get a lot of bad vibes regarding cast bullets. That's your call entirely.
It wouldn't hurt to avoid unnecessary exposure to lead, but I shoot mostly reduced cast loads in my m96 (Lyman #266469 with/without GC) and K31 (Lyman 311410) and I've rarely run a brush down the bore; they look just fine to me. Even ran gas-checked cast bullets in the Hakim (gas-operated) without issue, but not in great numbers.
Now that I get the coated bullets at decent prices, I've reduced my cast bullet making considerably.
Try various bullet styles, if available. You may find some guns just don't function 100% with certain sizes and shapes. I always liked the Lee 430-310 RF, but not all guns will digest these.

Locally, Guns N Gear in Agawam has a pretty good selection of large pistol primers and powders (usually H110, W296 and Unique are in stock). I live pretty close to you and also belong to Granby Bow and Gun Club, if you ever want to meet up or need help just let me know.

Also, it's real short notice, but Eddie Coyle is having a reloading class on Saturday, it is highly recommended:

http://www.massreloading.com/schedule.html

Locally, Guns N Gear in Agawam has a pretty good selection of large pistol primers and powders (usually H110, W296 and Unique are in stock)
This is run by Judith and Chris who are long time shooters and all around good people.

I have been reloading for 2+ years now and started with the Lee Classic Turret. If i were loading 300 or less round a month it would be great, but i am up to about 1k a month so have moved onto a Dillon 550.
I tend to get alot of my reloading supplies at Cabelas and just time it with their promos (i.e. get 20 off next 150) to get the costs down.

good luck it is alot of fun and helps in times of drought.

I second the Lee Classic Turret kit. That's what I use and it's more than enough for my needs. I think a single stage would be a waste of time when the Classic Turret is so cheap.

I use the lee classic loader aka mallet loading for my 8mm mauser. Since the only store that carries it around here wants a markup of like 6 dollars... cough cough sportsman's den..

TSUSA is a great place to buy bulk, but i wanted to see if there was a way to get mauser ammo for cheaper. Found a used loader by luck since they do not make them anymore. It is fun andncost effective. I have not worked out how much i am saving but i am sure with the little amount i shoot it is something

Try out the classic loader in 44 mag. I do not know how many boxes of ammo you go through in 44 mag but if it is less than 100 a month it could be worth it to you.

Not to be fascetious, but the biggest cost of "starting" to reload is that you won't stop there. You'll eventually "need" or want (is there a difference?) more die sets, an auto priming tool, dial calipers and micrometers, case chamber gauges, a trimming tool (eventually powered), chamfering tools (ditto), primer pocket swages, at least one tumbler, bulk supplies of powder, primers and slugs -- and the list goes on.

I usually tell people to forget going to reloading to save money. Yes, for some rounds, your cost per round may be less than retail (at least as long as you value your labor at zero). The real benefit of reloading is that you get to make something with your own hands, you get to really learn about shooting, you get to tailor rounds for your specific guns, and you get a whole new, eminanly satisfying hobby.

Not to be fascetious, but the biggest cost of "starting" to reload is that you won't stop there. You'll eventually "need" or want (is there a difference?) more die sets, an auto priming tool, dial calipers and micrometers, case chamber gauges, a trimming tool (eventually powered), chamfering tools (ditto), primer pocket swages, at least one tumbler, bulk supplies of powder, primers and slugs -- and the list goes on.

I usually tell people to forget going to reloading to save money. Yes, for some rounds, your cost per round may be less than retail (at least as long as you value your labor at zero). The real benefit of reloading is that you get to make something with your own hands, you get to really learn about shooting, you get to tailor rounds for your specific guns, and you get a whole new, eminanly satisfying hobby.

Well said, it's not for everyone.

Yep. Being able to make your own ammo when everyone else is scrounging to buy ammo during a drought is very satisfying. I do save money reloading but that's not the main reason why I do it.

Well, it also allows you shoot more for the same money. While I spend as much or more than I did before I started reloading, I know shoot many more rounds than I used to.

Several years ago I started with a NIB RCBS Rock Chucker master kit I bought on ebay. I was only doing .45acp and in the beginning I told myself "This is all I need to do for reloading. I'm good."
Fast forward to today and I home-roll eight different calibers, and I have two Dillon Square Deal B's (one for 9x19 and one for .45acp). I use the Rock Chucker for everything else. At some point in the future I'll start loading up .223/ 5.56 but as of now the only rifle rounds I'm making are .30carbine and .308.

Like others have said, the cost of getting yourself set up is nothing compared to how much you'll spend on components once you really get into it and start cranking out volume. I wish I had started reloading before starting a family, when I had all the friggin' free time and spare cash in the world. ;)

Several years ago I started with a NIB RCBS Rock Chucker master kit I bought on ebay. I was only doing .45acp and in the beginning I told myself "This is all I need to do for reloading. I'm good."
Fast forward to today and I home-roll eight different calibers, and I have two Dillon Square Deal B's (one for 9x19 and one for .45acp). I use the Rock Chucker for everything else. At some point in the future I'll start loading up .223/ 5.56 but as of now the only rifle rounds I'm making are .30carbine and .308.

Like others have said, the cost of getting yourself set up is nothing compared to how much you'll spend on components once you really get into it and start cranking out volume. I wish I had started reloading before starting a family, when I had all the friggin' free time and spare cash in the world. ;)

I've been reloading 9mm for about two years now, (I shoot a lot of it), and just started reloading 357Sig about six months ago in much smaller quantities.

I shot two steel matches this summer in .38, had my GP100 cut for moon clips and signed up for two more steel matches => The dies, shell plate and conversion kit to load .38/.357 were just delivered to my house. :)

I've been reloading 9mm for about two years now, (I shoot a lot of it), and just started reloading 357Sig about six months ago in much smaller quantities.

I shot two steel matches this summer in .38, had my GP100 cut for moon clips and signed up for two more steel matches => The dies, shell plate and conversion kit to load .38/.357 were just delivered to my house. :)

I compete with 1911's for everything. .45 for IDPA and bowling pins, and 9mm for steel challenge/ Walls of steel. I shoot a shit-ton of those two calibers throughout the year, which is why I went with the two progressive press setup. I'm actually heading to steel challenge @ Bass River in about half an hour! :D

ETA and regarding .38spl: I'm not much of a wheelgun guy but I have a Rossi M92 lever action in .357/ .38. That gun is the reason I started reloading .38spl, I enjoy shooting it so much. One of my .38 revolvers is the Colt Official Police my father carried as a LEO in the 1960's. He gave it to me before he passed away. I use the same mild load to plink with that old sentimental piece as I do in the lever gun.

I compete with 1911's for everything. .45 for IDPA and bowling pins, and 9mm for steel challenge/ Walls of steel. I shoot a shit-ton of those two calibers throughout the year, which is why I went with the two progressive press setup. I'm actually heading to steel challenge @ Bass River in about half an hour! :D

ETA and regarding .38spl: I'm not much of a wheelgun guy but I have a Rossi M92 lever action in .357/ .38. That gun is the reason I started reloading .38spl, I enjoy shooting it so much. One of my .38 revolvers is the Colt Official Police my father carried as a LEO in the 1960's. He gave it to me before he passed away. I use the same mild load to plink with that old sentimental piece as I do in the lever gun.
I love the ability to load up some nice soft target loads for my 38spl and 45acp wadcutters. You just dont find those on a shelf

I love the ability to load up some nice soft target loads for my 38spl and 45acp wadcutters. You just dont find those on a shelf
And where can you buy powder puff rifle ammo? I’ll never forget the day I let my grandfather (currently 89 yo) shoot my trail boss 30-06 loads from my A3. He wouldn’t believe me that it was 30-06[laugh]

It's, for the lack of a better word, addictive or at least to me. I like to do the best that I am capable of and my budget allows. Took an equipment included class for reloading a while back , figured I'd re-load a few round each week before shooting 2x's a month. HA! Like that will ever be true. I found that searching out the best bargains for brass and components is almost as satisfying as actually re-loading. I was really never much of a shopper b4 this either. I started re-loading one caliber 9MM now I load 3 and 12 guage shot shells also . It's therapeutic to load them, then shoot them, then load and shoot several more times.

And where can you buy powder puff rifle ammo? I’ll never forget the day I let my grandfather (currently 89 yo) shoot my trail boss 30-06 loads from my A3. He wouldn’t believe me that it was 30-06[laugh]
If you could it would cost 3x as much.
Same with 45 acp wad cutter factory stuff generally runs 60 cents plus per rnd

Just my 2 cents.... If you start with a single stage press at some point you'll get comfortable enough you'll want to go progressive... If you start with a progressive, you can still use it as a single stage until your ready, then switch it to progressive....can't do that with a single stage press.... ;-)

Just my 2 cents.... If you start with a single stage press at some point you'll get comfortable enough you'll want to go progressive... If you start with a progressive, you can still use it as a single stage until your ready, then switch it to progressive....can't do that with a single stage press.... ;-)
Yup! My thoughts exactly.

Is it a Ruger semi auto? My son has one and likes it for it's small size and light weight but there a couple of things to keep in mind. Accuracy is not great but good enough for deer hunting. It's not as strong as a lever action. It doesn't function well with bullets of less than 240 grains(my son's does well with 300 grain bullets). It will be a pleasure to carry through the woods. It's just not a tack driver.

But if you don't want to invest a lot of money up front, then a single stage is the way to go and you can always use the single stage for other stuff if you decide to upgrade to progressive. I do all my rifle loads on single stage and pistol load development as well since I may only load 10 at a time. Your progressive can also break and put you out of business but you could always use your single stage while waiting for parts/repair. Its hard to break a single stage!

I picked up a single stage Lee for $65 last summer. Add in the other necessities like scale, dies, powder scoops, calipers, tumbler, plastic cases to hold finished cartridges, tray to hold in process shells etc, Lyman manual......all in I'd say $250.

Paid for itself in about a month of shooting twice a week pins and plates. I make 45acp for about $10 for 50 rounds using plates swc, 38 special for about $7 for 50 rounds using cast rnfp, and 357 for about $15 for 50 rounds using jacketed soft points and h110 powder. The savings adds up quick.

reloading 357 38 and 45acp. Worth every penny.....makes quality ammo.....and is simple and fun to operate.

I can make 50 rounds in about 30 minutes now that I have my dies set up. When changing bullet type it takes a little longer because you have to reset the seating and crimping die.

Last edited:
I started reloading a couple of years ago when I got my first .45 and didn't want to pay retail prices. I wanted to dip my toe in, and picked up a used lee hand press. I reloaded that way for a year, until I got sick of only being able to load 50 an hour. So I upgraded to the lee classic turret kit, and couldn't be happier. I now reload .45, .357, and .380. It's still a process that I have to think about...no autopilot here...but the speed improvement over a single stage is so worth it IMO. It's basically the same steps as a single stage, but with a turret that spins, so you spend far less time changing out dies. Going slow and steady, and making sure I manually measure the powder every 5 rounds or so, I can crank out more than 100 an hour. That's plenty fast enough for me. The Lee Classic Turret kit comes with everything you need including a scale and reloading manual for $200 online. Add a set of dies for $50, and you are good to go.
I started reloading 2 summers ago loading 38/357 with the old whack a mole Lee loader! THAT was tedious! But it worked and got me started. Took 45 minuted to an hour to make 50 rounds and my hands got tires from swinging the hammer!!!! Went single stage Lee now and it's very nice.

But if you don't want to invest a lot of money up front, then a single stage is the way to go and you can always use the single stage for other stuff if you decide to upgrade to progressive. I do all my rifle loads on single stage and pistol load development as well since I may only load 10 at a time. Your progressive can also break and put you out of business but you could always use your single stage while waiting for parts/repair. Its hard to break a single stage!
So true.... I myself use my Lee single stage for a lot of my rifle cartridges and my Lee Turret for some steps of pistol and rifle reloads. My Lee Loadmaster is for pistol ammo only as it cranks out rounds faster than I can shoot them once I get going.... But I agree, a single stage will get the job done if money is an issue.... Happy shooting!!

I picked up a single stage Lee for $65 last summer. Add in the other necessities like scale, dies, powder scoops, calipers, tumbler, plastic cases to hold finished cartridges, tray to hold in process shells etc, Lyman manual......all in I'd say $250.

Paid for itself in about a month of shooting twice a week pins and plates. I make 45acp for about $10 for 50 rounds using plates swc, 38 special for about $7 for 50 rounds using cast rnfp, and 357 for about $15 for 50 rounds using jacketed soft points and h110 powder. The savings adds up quick.

reloading 357 38 and 45acp. Worth every penny.....makes quality ammo.....and is simple and fun to operate.

I can make 50 rounds in about 30 minutes now that I have my dies set up. When changing bullet type it takes a little longer because you have to reset the seating and crimping die.
I really enjoy reloading and the pride of knowing that I put that together, as dangerous as it is, and it worked as expected if not better than factory ammo is truly rewarding. Changing from caliber to caliber is a PITA, but then I bought more turrets and extra dies and I just change out the turrets from one caliber to the next...easy peasy.... Switching from .380 to 45acp is as simple as changing out the shell plate and turret to the next one... Happy and safe reloading...

Back
Top Bottom