• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Costco Manager Shows Just How Ridiculous New Seattle Sugar Tax Is

The retailers need to boycott. When bars/ theaters, convenient stores and markets stop selling the products the distributors and coca colas of the world will get that tax slapped down double quick.

10.5c per J&C.

Yep. Corn subsidies were almost eliminated. But my friend (guffaw at this point) Joni Ernst likes Big Corn despite being a small-government Senator.

We need corn subsidies.
We need ethanol mandates.
We need to give money to farmers (read: big corporations and co-ops) so they can pay lobbyists to woo senators to keep giving money to farmers. See my car/bag-of-money idea above.
The ethanol atrocity needs to stop, but nobody want to lose Iowa in the primaries.

What about diet soda and energy drinks? They are "sweetened" but it's not sugar and has no calories. :rolleyes:

It's okay if the bottle contains actual poison such as aspartame, so that of course won't be taxed. It's the sugar, a substance that occurs in nature and your body produces on its own, that's evil.

Not that I'm for drinking any soda or so-called "juices" (sugar water flavored like fruits). But the people sucking down 2L bottle after 2L bottle of sodas have already made their obviously bad health decision and not much is going to persuade them, not even taxes.

yikes. first of all I would never live in that state let alone that city. But if I did I would be doing all my shopping outside of the city. But it is good to see that this liberal stupidity isn't going to get a free pass. My guess is most of the sheep in seattle will comply...lol

Just wondering how long ago you visited Wa. or Seattle in particular?

never been. no desire to go there. that state can drop with California for all I care. lots of political stupidity from that state. make mass look almost normal in some instances.

Time for a party!

b2529c2d9d4e2ba8e308b3532b4453ae--american-war-american-history.jpg
Boston%20Tea%20party%202.jpg

Seattle will then take Costco to court, subpoena credit card purchase records of Seattle residents who avoided the tax buy purchasing these drinks in other cities, then send the offenders a tax bill with penalties on top of it.....just like MA already does when people go to NH to buy things.

Seattle will then take Costco to court, subpoena credit card purchase records of Seattle residents who avoided the tax buy purchasing these drinks in other cities, then send the offenders a tax bill with penalties on top of it.....just like MA already does when people go to NH to buy things.

The only reason Massatwoshits (and the Constipation State likewise) can get away with this is cuz "use tax" is due when the item is used, stored or consumed in state.

Supposedly the tax is collected by the distributor, who would then pass it along to the bar when they buy their pre- or post-mix. Since it would only amount to a few cents in the amount of Coke in a Jack and Coke, the bar may or may not bother marking up for it.

Sweetened beverage tax - Business License Tax | seattle.gov

Gotta love:
That logic! To imagine that some people actually believe such an insane statement. Although, I bet some people on here think that corporate taxes somehow magically don't get passed to consumers...

That logic! To imagine that some people actually believe such an insane statement. Although, I bet some people on here think that corporate taxes somehow magically don't get passed to consumers...

Wait, what? I heard on the news that they just cover it out of their humongous profits, just like giant spikes in minimum wage.

The ethanol atrocity needs to stop, but nobody want to lose Iowa in the primaries.

Yeah. I sent her $ in her bid to get elected. Because she seemed to have integrity. Turns out she doesn't. :( Well, not as much as I thought. Like all politicians, it's about maintaining your seat.

Liquid or powder?

"Jake for my coke, please."

"Certainly, sir. Do you want a glass and ice or a mirror and rolled up dollar bill?"

It's okay if the bottle contains actual poison such as aspartame, so that of course won't be taxed. It's the sugar, a substance that occurs in nature and your body produces on its own, that's evil.

Not that I'm for drinking any soda or so-called "juices" (sugar water flavored like fruits). But the people sucking down 2L bottle after 2L bottle of sodas have already made their obviously bad health decision and not much is going to persuade them, not even taxes.

I'd argue that sugar is as poisoning as aspartame.

I did a few years ago for a Baseball trip. HEre's what I remember:

- They had this really good donut shop. Gourmet donuts, but not those fru-fru ones.
- They had some Asian guy sitting on the sidewalk for days playing some sort of Oriental string instrument. . . . poorly. Like REALLY bad. And people gave him money, presumably out of sympathy.
- My brother really really really really really really liked going to the ORIGINAL Starbucks store. He might need an intervention. LOL

Otherwise, it was hard to tell how liberal they really were. I mean, the center of the city seemed like a college town. Like Caahhhhmbridge. Lots of skater-types and such. But nothing special.

Time for a party!

b2529c2d9d4e2ba8e308b3532b4453ae--american-war-american-history.jpg
Boston%20Tea%20party%202.jpg

The Seattle Sweet Tea Party. LOL

So they will tax the crap out of you for buying soda but you can still pay the regular price for cookies, twinkies, hard candy and actual sugar by the bag?

Soda is already a stupid tax. You pay it with your health. Then we all pitch in paying for fatties healthcare. Obesity is the cornerstone of all modern medical ailments. Consumption of soda and vegetables won't change but I bet the eat the food we want you to program will soon cost more than the soda tax delivers.

Got it, if you drink a soda you are fat an unhealthy. Therefore it is our governments duty to impose a tax on only a fraction of the finished products that contain sugar. Why stop at soda? Why not tax every food that has sugar as an added ingredient.
I drink soda occasionally. I am 5'9" and weigh 165lbs. I have low blood pressure. I jog about 15 miles per week, hike and live a very healthy and active lifestyle. I do not drink alcohol, never use drugs, and never drink coffee I guess you and the government know what is best for me. Maybe you can get the government to start taxing ammo. After all bullets do cause injuries and death. How about tires, they are on cars and cars cause injuries every day. We should tax them too. I will sleep so much better tonight because I got you and the government deciding my lifestyle choices for me. By the way, when should I go and see my doctor again for a check up?

Got it, if you drink a soda you are fat an unhealthy. Therefore it is our governments duty to impose a tax on only a fraction of the finished products that contain sugar. Why stop at soda? Why not tax every food that has sugar as an added ingredient.
I drink soda occasionally. I am 5'9" and weigh 165lbs. I have low blood pressure. I jog about 15 miles per week, hike and live a very healthy and active lifestyle. I do not drink alcohol, never use drugs, and never drink coffee I guess you and the government know what is best for me. Maybe you can get the government to start taxing ammo. After all bullets do cause injuries and death. How about tires, they are on cars and cars cause injuries every day. We should tax them too. I will sleep so much better tonight because I got you and the government deciding my lifestyle choices for me. By the way, when should I go and see my doctor again for a check up?
Guessing the correlation between soda consumption and obesity is pretty darn good. Outliers are nice, we can keep eating things that are likely bad for us because we might be one. Alcohol and tobacco are taxed to the hilt because they are bad for you, throwing soda on the pile isn't far fetched. New taxes suck, and sin taxes in whole are morally questionable, but we gots them and they ain't going anywhere. Taxing ammo is a great idea cause then the gov't would have an incentive for people to shoot more. lolz

Guessing the correlation between soda consumption and obesity is pretty darn good. Outliers are nice, we can keep eating things that are likely bad for us because we might be one. Alcohol and tobacco are taxed to the hilt because they are bad for you, throwing soda on the pile isn't far fetched. New taxes suck, and sin taxes in whole are morally questionable, but we gots them and they ain't going anywhere. Taxing ammo is a great idea cause then the gov't would have an incentive for people to shoot more. lolz

It's not because they're bad for you. Alcohol and tobacco are taxed because people aren't going to give them up and will pay the taxes. The only reason weed is being permitted in some states is because they found that they could make it rain with taxing every aspect of it. Notice they didn't legalize weed like they do every other law; they did it by binding referendum so lawmakers didn't have to look bad. Soda is the new devil so they're taxing it because devil. People will still buy soda.

1. Find something people really want.
2. Demonize it.
3. Tax the bad people who want the bad thing.

Hell, in MA we voted on it based on a 12% rate but before anyone is even selling it they've already gotten greedier and increased it to 20%. That's a 67% tax increase on something that's not even available for sale yet.

Massachusetts voters approved recreational marijuana in November 2016 and now lawmakers in the state, regardless of their support or opposition for recreational marijuana, are taking up the challenge of creating a new taxing and regulatory framework for the market.

The ballot measure, Question 4, outlined the taxation of recreational marijuana: the state sales tax rate of 6.25 percent, a state excise tax of 3.75 percent, and localities would be permitted to levy a separate tax of up to 2 percent. Altogether, marijuana would have faced a maximum tax rate of 12 percent, the lowest of the eight states that currently tax recreational marijuana.

However, policymakers, concerned that the original tax rate was too low, have revised the tax rates so they now total a maximum rate of 20 percent. The new law still subjects recreational marijuana to the state sales tax rate of 6.25 percent, but increases the state excise tax rate to 10.75 percent and permits localities to levy a rate of up to 3 percent. Governor Baker (R) signed the bill July 28th.

Even at a rate of 20 percent, Massachusetts will levy a relatively low rate on recreational marijuana compared to other states.

Massachusetts Increases Marijuana Tax Rate - Tax Foundation

Agreed. I see a parallel to the whole "guns kill people". Is it sugar that makes people obese or is it their choices?
So the government says that sugar causes obesity and their answer is to tax just soft drinks. .Gov says we can go and order 5 bacon double cheesburgers and have a dozen donuts so long as I order a water with it. Interestingly, ounce for ounce orange juice has more calories than coke.
This is .gov overreach to the max and it drives me crazy on multiple levels. It is illogical, impractical, extortion and flat out overreach into personal choices.

I just did some crazy math about this tax.
A can of coke has 150 calories/12 ounces
That is ~ 12 calories per ounce.
A gram of sugar has 4 calories.
There is ~3 grams of sugar per ounce.
You can buy a 5lb bag of sugar for ~ $2
There is ~2300 grams of sugar in 5lbs
The cost of 1 gram of sugar is ~ .09 cents
The cost of 3 grams of sugar is ~.3 cents
The tax for those 3 grams of sugar is 1.75 cents.
There is approximately a 600% tax on the sugar.
Yeah, I know I got problems

Here's what the news reports didn't tell you, there's a legal way to avoid paying it, simply make those purchases with an EBT card, which are exempt from the tax.
I see a big spike in EBT fraud coming soon in Seattle.

Back
Top Bottom