• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Cottonwood Heights[, Utah] Police support Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense"

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Not at all surprising. My guess is every PD in MA would openly support any firearm prohibition group if put on the spot.
Cottonwood Heights Police support Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense
“The Cottonwood Heights Police Department will support our friends at Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America by wearing ‘orange’ shirts under their uniforms as visual affirmation of the right of every American to live a life free from gun violence,” Chief E. Robby Russo wrote in a special order to the department.

“Gun violence is an epidemic in the United States, with 88 people killed by gun violence every day,” the order stated. “Police Officers deal with the constant threats and are called upon to deliver tragic news to families touched by gun violence.”
What Chief Russo calls "gun violence" is not an epidemic in the US, and his statement is from Everytown/MDA talking points.
Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a movement for “public safety measures that can protect people from gun violence,” according to its website.
It would be nice if their "public safety measures" did not include support for every restriction on the ownership or use of firearms proposed at the state or federal level.

I suspect that the chief just gave everyone that they may charge with any sort of violation of law wrt RKBA a legal gift in court that demonstrates PD bias and a possible willingness to try to enforce feels over law
Unless the judge chooses to buy into the myth that MDA simply supports safety.

Admittedly I have not read the story yet, but is this the entirety of the PD speaking, or is this a reporters title to a story after speaking solely with another political hack of a CoP?

Lot of people, reporters especially, seem to think all officers feel the same way as their Chief does or supports things that he alone supports, which in reality is usually the furthest thing from the truth.

I’d venture a guess this CoP has some type of personal ties to MDA.

Everytown for Gun Safety, a larger gun violence prevention organization that Moms Demand Action is part of, has declared June 7-9 as Wear Orange Weekend, selling t-shirts and other items branded with “we can end gun violence.”

Excuse me, but that weekend's taken:

View attachment 286863

+ five points (or whatever) in your match, if you wear orange to spite the demanding moms.

"the right of every American to live a life free from gun violence." Where is that spelled out in the Constitution or any of its Amendments, exactly?

Oh, right, it's not.

The Right you're looking for, chief, is the one guaranteeing you the right to fight back against (any) violence, with your OWN gun.

I wonder if the actual officers will be required to wear the orange shirt, or if they can resist, and choose not to?

Admittedly I have not read the story yet, but is this the entirety of the PD speaking, or is this a reporters title to a story after speaking solely with another political hack of a CoP?

Lot of people, reporters especially, seem to think all officers feel the same way as their Chief does or supports things that he alone supports, which in reality is usually the furthest thing from the truth.

I’d venture a guess this CoP has some type of personal ties to MDA.
His officers have to wear the orange shirts in support of a firearm prohibition group.

Respectfully, the dept memo states that white or black T-shirt’s may be worn under the uniform shirt, leaving it open to the officers discretion what they would choose to wear during that time period.

It also states that the orange shirts are available in support services for the officers, appearing to be still be optional, and some kind of f***ed up policy the chief has concocted along with the city council members.

If it turns out I’m wrong I’ll apologize, I’m on you guys’ side in this, but the devil is also in the details and matter.

Respectfully, the dept memo states that white or black T-shirt’s may be worn under the uniform shirt, leaving it open to the officers discretion what they would choose to wear during that time period.

It also states that the orange shirts are available in support services for the officers, appearing to be still be optional, and some kind of f***ed up policy the chief has concocted along with the city council members.

If it turns out I’m wrong I’ll apologize, I’m on you guys’ side in this, but the devil is also in the details and matter.
Does not appear to be optional.
The memo states that the officers of the PD "WILL" wear orange shirts and that the shirts are avail in support services yada yada

I dont see anything that indicates the orange shirts are optional literally or in spirit..
This^.

Here is the order I saw:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7rwNgNV4AAyGZO?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

I read the entire short memo, no where does it state that officers “shall” wear these orange shirts or are hereby ordered to during the allotted time period.

The memo (written by the chief or his assistant) states that the dept will support this cause (as f***ed up as it is).

Two key words in dept memos and written law to look for are “Shall” and “May”.

Shall means it is a requirement and not an option.
May gives the officer discretion to make his/her own decision in regards to whatever subject is at hand.

Again, the devil is in the details. I’m still not ready to shit talk an entire dept because they have a political hack for a chief. Change my mind.

Shall means it is a requirement and not an option.
May gives the officer discretion to make his/her own decision in regards to whatever subject is at hand.

Again, the devil is in the details. I’m still not ready to shit talk an entire dept because they have a political hack for a chief. Change my mind.
You forgot to look for the word "will", as in "CHPD will support our friends in Moms Demand Action by wearing orange shirts..."

You forgot to look for the word "will", as in "CHPD will support our friends in Moms Demand Action by wearing orange shirts..."

No I didn’t. It’s part of the short memo and clearly visible, that said and IMO those are the chiefs words stating his support for this nonsense, no where does it state the dept shall support this, which would then make it a dept requirement.

VD7nu5gy_400x400.jpg
Anyone else remember this debacle?

No I didn’t. It’s part of the short memo and clearly visible, that said and IMO those are the chiefs words stating his support for this nonsense, no where does it state the dept shall support this, which would then make it a dept requirement.
...except where he says the Department will support it, and will wear orange shirts in support.

There is no opt-out in that memo. "The desires of the commander constitute an order", and all that.

...except where he says the Department will support it, and will wear orange shirts in support.

There is no opt-out in that memo. "The desires of the commander constitute an order", and all that.

He says the dept supports it, his words, his support as the chief, nowhere does it say they will or are ordered to wear orange.

There is certainly an opt out from what I see in that memo, and that is that is does not say that officers shall support it. I have some experience in this area, and from what I see it’s simply a press quote, IE supportive dept memo for political points and not an order or an admission of 100% support. Smoke and mirrors, I’m sure you know the term.

This is not a new thing with a chief making statements or showing a memo to some shitbum reporter that actually carries no weight or discipline if it’s not followed.

Again, if it’s supported by the entirety of the dept, I’ll apologize here publicly and lick my wounds, my knowledge of the arena and experience tells me differently.

He says the dept supports it, his words, his support as the chief, nowhere does it say they will or are ordered to wear orange.

There is certainly an opt out from what I see in that memo, and that is that is does not say that officers shall support it. I have some experience in this area, and from what I see it’s simply a press quote, IE supportive dept memo for political points and not an order or an admission of 100% support. Smoke and mirrors, I’m sure you know the term.
It's not a memo. It's not a press release. It is a "Special Order" from the Chief of Cottonwood Heights Police Department, addressed to "all members". It says, "...the Cottonwood Heights Police Department will support our friends ( . . . ) by wearing 'orange' shirts under their uniforms..."

I don't know why you're arguing so fervently that it's something else. It's an order from the chief to the entire PD, saying the PD will wear orange shirts in support of this political cause.

Previously posted in this thread, in case you missed it:

D7rwNgNV4AAyGZO.jpg

Not at all surprising. My guess is every PD in MA would openly support any firearm prohibition group if put on the spot.
Cottonwood Heights Police support Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense

What Chief Russo calls "gun violence" is not an epidemic in the US, and his statement is from Everytown/MDA talking points.

It would be nice if their "public safety measures" did not include support for every restriction on the ownership or use of firearms proposed at the state or federal level.
It should work both ways, then. Each officer gets issued body armor, baton, and OC only. For threats involving firearms, each department should have SUVs manned by two specially trained Authorized Firearms Officers and equipped with a locked and sealed gun locker containing two handguns, two semiauto carbines and 3 magazines of ammo for each weapon. The AFOs would need permission from a supervisor to break the seal and access the weapons. Breaking seal without permission leads to immediate separation from the department.
Liberals like to cite the UK example. Well, this is how the British police do things.

It's not a memo. It's not a press release. It is a "Special Order" from the Chief of Cottonwood Heights Police Department, addressed to "all members". It says, "...the Cottonwood Heights Police Department will support our friends ( . . . ) by wearing 'orange' shirts under their uniforms..."

I don't know why you're arguing so fervently that it's something else. It's an order from the chief to the entire PD, saying the PD will wear orange shirts in support of this political cause.

Previously posted in this thread, in case you missed it:

D7rwNgNV4AAyGZO.jpg

I’m not arguing, I’m making a point that doesn’t agree with yours, we are in fact on a discussion board my friend.

So let me put this in better context, as backing to what I was saying about it being optional, and my reading and understanding of the dept memo, I just got off the phone with a Sgt from Cottonwood Heights.

He laughed and said this is Utah, everybody has guns out here, they’re a part of our lives.

He went on to explain that in no way is the entire dept required or ordered to wear orange shirts for this months ‘awareness’ event. It is completely optional and if an officer so chooses, then the orange shirt is authorized for wear during the allotted time period.

He also said that nobody wants to wear it because it’s a perfect aiming point with bright orange on your neck area. In regards to that I agree and I also switched from wearing a bright white T-shirt years ago during summer months because it stuck out so much from the dark uniform and I switched to wearing only black T-shirt’s.

In short, this is completely optional for the dept, much like breast cancer awareness month when one ‘may’ wear pink in support of that.

I was also told that you can go to www.cottonwoodheights.utah.gov and all of their city council meetings are recorded, there you can watch and listen to everything that was said about this subject.

They aren’t a bunch of anti’s, they simply work in yet another police dept with a hack chief trying to keep the city council and the local libs happy at the expense of his officers.

No arguing, no caps used, no exclamation points, just facts and a better understanding of certain subjects from experience.

Back
Top Bottom