• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Couldn't stop laughing for awhile after reading this article

I was reading the sun chronicle and they had a story about an 83 year old man. Supposedly he wouldn't come out of his house after emt's came to his house for a call, and saw a rifle on his lap.

NORTH ATTLEBORO – An 83-year-old Bank Street man was hospitalized following a six-hour overnight standoff with police that ended this morning without incident when he fell asleep.
The incident started around 10:30 p.m. Sunday when firefighters responded to the home for a medical call.
Responding firefighters found the man in a chair with a rifle across his lap and left the house with the man's wife, police Capt. Joseph DiRenzo said.
Police responded and the man, whose name was not released, came to the front door armed with two rifles. Police talked with the man and evacuated four nearby homes, DiRenzo said.
Between 10 and 15 residents who had to leave their homes were allowed to stay at the police department's emergency operations center while the standoff continued.
After trying to convince the man to lay down the weapons and surrender without success, police shot him at least two times with a bean bag gun, but he ran back upstairs carrying one of the rifles and refused to surrender, DiRenzo said.
The state police SWAT team then responded with a K-9 unit and an armored vehicle police used to safely get close to the house to continue negotiating over a loud speaker, DiRenzo said.

All I can picture is the police acting like they have the next bin laden, and shutting down streets, evacuating the whole neighborhood. Only to have the guy fall asleep on them.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...11e3-8eb6-001a4bcf887a.html#user-comment-area

SIP

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

83 years old, they tagged him twice with beanbags then he ran upstairs (presumedly, yelling at them to get off his lawn - I hope). Didn't give it up until naptime.

I want to drink with this guy.

I was reading the sun chronicle and they had a story about an 83 year old man. Supposedly he wouldn't come out of his house after emt's came to his house for a call, and saw a rifle on his lap.

All I can picture is the police acting like they have the next bin laden, and shutting down streets, evacuating the whole neighborhood. Only to have the guy fall asleep on them.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...11e3-8eb6-001a4bcf887a.html#user-comment-area

anyone want to take a bet that he has a 'lifetime FID' and he gets jammed up on the firearm possession and loses them?

Its a good thing they evacuated the neighbors, because even the cops know bullets would be flying everywhere but at their target.

Hey, at least one of them was a .22 ... I have this mental image of an 83yo with a lifetime FID seeing an MRAP pull up on his lawn like it was something out of a jules verne novel...

...eventually they'll charge him with having a legal gun in his own home, and invoice him for the response-

If the police came to my house and told me to get out because my 83 year old neighbor was napping on his chair with a Mosin, I would promptly shoulder my AR and respond, "Seriously, you woke me up for that?". If his wife was shouting hysterically, I would call that just another day at my neighbor's and assume Paul was hoping for an accident while cleaning his gun.

Who the hell calls for help and then sits there with a rifle on his lap refusing to move when the help arrives?

I want to know who called EMS and what the emergency was. If it was the old guy who called 911 on himself and then sat there with a gun, I'd be thinking he was going the death-by-cop route, so I don't blame the firefighters for leaving. Maybe they could have walked out and told the wife to call them when the husband was being reasonable, but I don't they're the ones who overreacted. Also, do we know for a fact the old guy did "nothing wrong"? Maybe he was threatening the first responders.

If the story is complete as reported (which I often doubt with any news article), then I agree the cops over-reacted. If he made no threats and wasn't the one who called EMS, who cares if he's sitting in his house with his own guns.

I think at 83 you've earned a little bit of latitude with your behavior, regardless of who called and how he treated EMS/fire/cops.

The problem is police show up and treat everyone like Al Capone, rather than being the voice of reason and telling everyone the old guy wants to be left alone, the party is over and we're all going home.

Based on a few crusty old souls I have known, I'd guess it went something like this: Wife thought old hubby was in sudden and urgent need of medical care. Crusty old hubby thought otherwise. Wife called for ambulance anyway. Hubby says no way and sits himself firmly in favorite chair with .22 rifle in lap with no intention of letting anyone take him to the hospital. EMTs enter and see crusty old man in favorite chair with .22 rifle in lap. They back out door and shit hits the fan at FR until old hubby yawns, gets tired and dozes off.

End of story. Entire thing just plain silly non-story. Makes newspaper next day anyway. Gives us all a good laugh. [grin]

No respect for your elders… none.. Sheriff Andy would have had Barney sit out side until he fell asleep then go in and put the gun back in the gun cabinet and tuck him in. And then would have met him for coffee the next day to sit and listen to his stories to learn how to be a better person.

Now… 4 houses of people traumatized. LOADS of money wasted on overtime. And a poor old man blamed for all of it.

Back
Top Bottom