• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Couldn't stop laughing for awhile after reading this article

All that cool, tactical equipment isn't just going to gather dust you know.

MA police have to qualify once a year. It ain't pretty. I'm not just speculating. I've spoken with several cops, one of whom was the training officer in his city about this.

Yea, I suspect that's who puts all the shots into the ceiling baffles at one of my clubs since the local PD uses it.

I was reading the sun chronicle and they had a story about an 83 year old man. Supposedly he wouldn't come out of his house after emt's came to his house for a call, and saw a rifle on his lap.

Nobody asked yet.... NES user name?

Let me see if i understand this... Someone called EMS for an 83 year old man, who then answered the door, talked to police, took two bean bag rounds, and ran up stairs. Six hours later, he gives up and they take him to the hospital.

Sounds like EMS wasn't really needed here.

I was reading the sun chronicle and they had a story about an 83 year old man. Supposedly he wouldn't come out of his house after emt's came to his house for a call, and saw a rifle on his lap.

All I can picture is the police acting like they have the next bin laden, and shutting down streets, evacuating the whole neighborhood. Only to have the guy fall asleep on them.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...11e3-8eb6-001a4bcf887a.html#user-comment-area

Is that a lawful order? Swat next door and they tell you to leave your home? I'd refuse. If I felt unsafe from stray bullets I'd just go in the basement since bullets don't travel at right angles. My beer is in the basement, so twist my arm to make me go down there...!!!!!

Unfortunately, the cops CAN'T leave... if they leave and the old guy offs himself, or hurts someone else, it's a ready made lawsuit. Like it or not, even though the ol' buzzard appears to have done nothing illegal, sitting in the house with a rifle across your lap is out of the ordinary and is going to draw attention.

...and we don't live in the same society that Andy and Barney did.

Have you seen the police marksmanship skills? Ask the boat owner during the marathon bombers saga.

Or better yet, ask the guy that lives downrange from the boat that now has a boat shaped tattoo on the side of his house.

I love me a good nap too!

Unfortunately, the cops CAN'T leave... if they leave and the old guy offs himself, or hurts someone else, it's a ready made lawsuit. Like it or not, even though the ol' buzzard appears to have done nothing illegal, sitting in the house with a rifle across your lap is out of the ordinary and is going to draw attention.

...and we don't live in the same society that Andy and Barney did.

Sitting outside with a rifle across your lap is not at all out of the ordinary in many places. Neither is walking around with one.

In any case "out of the ordinary" does not equal police get to shoot you.

How hard is this ?
Cop to old timer: What's up guy?"
Old Timer : Well, they want to take me to the hospital ,but I don't want to go."
Cop: Tell you what, you put that gun back in the cabinet and we're all out of here and you don't have to go if you don't want to.
Old timer: Ok fair enough, it's almost time for my nap anyway.
And everyone went home safe and sound.
The End.

How hard is this ?
Cop to old timer: What's up guy?"
Old Timer : Well, they want to take me to the hospital ,but I don't want to go."
Cop: Tell you what, you put that gun back in the cabinet and we're all out of here and you don't have to go if you don't want to.
Old timer: Ok fair enough, it's almost time for my nap anyway.
And everyone went home safe and sound.
The End.

where is the part of the story where the SWAT guys get to get dressed up?

Who the hell calls for help and then sits there with a rifle on his lap refusing to move when the help arrives?

I want to know who called EMS and what the emergency was. If it was the old guy who called 911 on himself and then sat there with a gun, I'd be thinking he was going the death-by-cop route, so I don't blame the firefighters for leaving. Maybe they could have walked out and told the wife to call them when the husband was being reasonable, but I don't they're the ones who overreacted. Also, do we know for a fact the old guy did "nothing wrong"? Maybe he was threatening the first responders.

If the story is complete as reported (which I often doubt with any news article), then I agree the cops over-reacted. If he made no threats and wasn't the one who called EMS, who cares if he's sitting in his house with his own guns.
Maybe the guy wanted to go shooting and couldn't find any 22lr for that rifle. Maybe he demanded someone bring him some 22lr and he was just gonna sit there and wait.

Back
Top Bottom