Couple with homes in Mass. and NH facing felonies for voting in both states in 2016 presidential ele

Couple with homes in Mass. and NH facing felonies for voting in both states in 2016 presidential election | New Hampshire

CONCORD — A woman facing felony voter fraud charges said she was on powerful painkillers and recovering from surgery when she and her husband voted in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire in the 2016 presidential election.

Grace Fleming, 70, said she and her husband, John S. Fleming Jr., 71, made a simple mistake when they voted in both Hampton and Belchertown, Mass. On Wednesday, Attorney General Gordon MacDonald announced that a Rockingham County grand jury indicted the couple on two felony voting fraud charges each.

“Somehow it slipped through the cracks and we messed up,” said Fleming, speaking to a reporter by telephone from the couple’s Belchertown home. “We made a mistake, we’re 70 years old.”

However, a key statement that Fleming told a reporter — that she voted absentee in both Hampton and Belchertown — was contradicted by the Belchertown clerk.

According to the Belchertown clerk’s office, both Flemings voted in person in 2016. They had registered to vote through the Registry of Motor Vehicles on Aug. 18, 2016. Both registered Republican.

Lawmakers have tightened voting laws in New Hampshire each of the last two years as some national party leaders allege widespread voter fraud.

President Trump complained that out-of-state voters were “bused” into New Hampshire from Massachusetts to sway the 2016 general election, though no credible evidence has surfaced to support the allegation.

According to MacDonald’s office, the Flemings cast absentee ballots in Hampton and voted in Belchertown, Mass., but the statement did not specify whether the Belchertown votes were in person or absentee.

The Flemings were flagged by the Voter Crosscheck Program, a multi-state database that compares voter information from state-to-state to find voters registering to vote in more than one state, MacDonald’s office said.

The Secretary of State investigates individuals identified by the Crosscheck database and forwards findings to the Attorney General.

Fleming said she and her husband have been New Hampshire residents since the early 1980s and have voted here since then. She would not disclose who she and her husband voted for; both are registered independents, according to the Hampton town clerk.

Fleming said her husband went online in Massachusetts to register to vote when she was recovering from surgery and thought they would not be able to vote in New Hampshire. She said a friend had long ago told them they could register in two different places as long as they voted in only one.

She said they sent in ballots probably a week apart. That statement is contradicted by the voting record released by the Belchertown clerk.

Fleming said the two drove to the Attorney General’s office in Concord to speak with an investigator and a lawyer. Dick Tracy, an investigator, twice asked if they had intentionally cast ballots in two places and they denied doing so, she said.

“He said he thought we were honest people and thanked us for coming in,” Fleming said.

Fleming expected to receive a copy of a report, but never did.

MacDonald’s office would not answer questions or provide information beyond what was in the official statement Wednesday morning.

The first Fleming learned she’d been charged with voter fraud was when contacted by a Union Leader reporter.

She said the couple had recently visited national parks out west and returned to Belchertown. By Wednesday afternoon they were planning to travel to Hampton to check mail, where she expected to find the indictment.

“We tried to tell him it was an honest mistake, but I guess they didn’t believe us,” she said.

Before retiring, she worked in procurement for Hewlett-Packard for years and her husband worked in information technology at an insurance company.

Fleming said they will now be hiring a criminal defense attorney.

“We’re just blown away and so totally stressed out about this,” she said. Her husband has heart problems and she has issues related to arthritis.

The two are scheduled to be arraigned Oct. 5 at 1 p.m. in Rockingham County Superior Court.

The Flemings are each facing two charges: knowingly checking in at the checklist and casting a ballot in New Hampshire while doing so in another state, and knowingly voting more than once for any office or measure. Each charge carries a potential sentence of up to seven years in prison.

According to the Belchertown clerk’s office, both Flemings voted in person in 2016. They had registered to vote through the Registry of Motor Vehicles on Aug. 18, 2016. Both registered Republican.

Fleming said she and her husband have been New Hampshire residents since the early 1980s and have voted here since then. She would not disclose who she and her husband voted for; both are registered independents, according to the Hampton town clerk.

a**h*** liberals. We're 70, don't hurt us! I am sick of it.

a**h*** liberals. We're 70, don't hurt us! I am sick of it.

shocker

this is why they were targeted

Thousands do this and never get prosecuted, so I was wondering why this couple was singled out while reading the article... until I got to the part that said they're republican.

I didn't realize there was a database that cross checks who voted in what state. I moved to NH in 2012 but I am still registered in MA (I checked)... what if someone voted as me, since they don't check for ID there?

shocker

this is why they were targeted

Lol in MA that's completely meaningless there's tons of people that registered as Republicans Or Democrats for the purpose of urinating in the well. In a lot of primaries it's a better strategy for "salting the fields... "

Even that possibility aside this should be happening with more greater regularity there's just too much slippery shit going on with voting...

"Someone" was caught with a "TRUMP" sign in their yard.

There is no way these people are Democrats.

I could not care less if they were both registered Rastafarians.
If they broke voting laws, they need to be PROSECUTED.
"Elections have consequences". There were GIANT terrible consequences when obama won, and GIANT positive consequences when Trump won.

So the actual voting process has to be protected as a sacred institution. There should be NO leniency for anyone caught double voting...none at all. Jail time at the least

One weeknight in Apr'15 we took the 66 bus from Harvard Sq. to Allston to participate in the finals of a trivia contest in the late Sunset Grill's annex Patrón. We sat behind a dutiful pajama boy and his grandmother, who systematically discussed the logistics of how one of them planned to vote in both Brookline, MA and Hampton (Beach?), NH.

They would have made epic stars on YoutUbe.

... the actual voting process has to be protected as a sacred institution. There should be NO leniency for anyone caught double voting...none at all. Jail time at the least

Someone on talk radio (Mark Davis?) once went through the math on-air that someone casting an extra vote (crimalien registered illegally, or someone double-voting) has the same effect as suppressing that person's political opposite.

If the MSM weren't all Donk Operatives with a Byline™, one of them would ask the Flemings how they differed from a pair of Klansmen Black Panthers holding clubs at a poll's front door.

One weeknight in Apr'15 we took the 66 bus from Harvard Sq. to Allston to participate in the finals of a trivia contest in the late Sunset Grill's annex Patrón. We sat behind a dutiful pajama boy and his grandmother, who systematically discussed the logistics of how one of them planned to vote in both Brookline, MA and Hampton (Beach?), NH.

They would have made epic stars on YoutUbe.
You should have made them famous.

I'm missing something. If they were registered as both republican and independent, who the f*ck are they moonbats? Sounds like they are criminals more than anything else.

Total bullshit. This would not happen if you needed a state ID to prove residency in order to vote.

My wife had surgery last week and needed an ID to be admitted. Have you ever heard of someone volunteering to have major surgery?

That's likely a matter of preventing insurance fraud. Someone who doesn't have insurance could present someone else's insurance card in order to get care that their insurance doesn't cover (elective procedures) or pay a lower co-pay/deductible, if they even have insurance at all.

I'm missing something. If they were registered as both republican and independent, who the f*ck are they moonbats? Sounds like they are criminals more than anything else.

What you're 'missing' is IDGAF which side someone votes on, what I DO care about is if they vote twice.

And, election shenanigans are the usual tactics of the left. Other wise Roy Moore would be a Senator and Al Franken would never have been, and the 3000 people who swung NH blue in 2016 and then disappeared would be in a cell.

Back
Top Bottom