covering a rifle rail with magpul XTM panels

sup /nes/,

i have a need to spend money, but i don't have a lot of money to spend. i want to cover my KAC rifle-length rail system with magpul XTM panels, but i have no idea how many to buy. each set covers one side of a carbine rail, so there's that. start with four sets, then add a bit to each--will six sets be enough? eight brings the total to about seventy bucks shipped and that's... excessive... for rail covers.

in return for your help i offer you this, a pretty lady milling an %80 AR lower.

kyee0.jpg

I wanted to do something similar, went with the the Larue rail clip set...they make the rail slippery as hell so I spent like 45 min installing them and then immediately took them off.

If you aren't stuck on the XTM panels, here's a much cheaper option: I ended up getting a few sets of magpul ladder rail covers on amazon for cheap (~$8ea IIRC) they're pretty grippy and have the look I was going for. They're soft plastic so you can easily cut them to fit around any rail accessories you have.

DGW1of1.jpg

Those are 7" I think? I bought a couple extras ad ended up cutting them to cover the entire rail, but went back to just having them in the middle of the rail because I thought it looked better.

Last edited:
that helps. i am not dead-set on the XTM, i just want something to cover it up, and don't want to pay through my anus for KAC covers. i am so cheap the rail is a factory second. all they screwed up was that they painted something wrong on the inside, on the outside it's all KAC, all the time, baby.

KAC M5 = 12" per rail, 48" total real estate to cover if i want to do so.

magpul panel @ midway = 6.5". therefore i ned 7.38 units. agree/disagree?

basically the same measurements were given for the XTMs as well.

the low profile ones will be $90+, XTMs will be $71.

basically... is this shit worth it? that's a lot of beer.

I can do 8 packages for 59$ on Amazon prime shipped. Your call if you want to go that way.

(Gay)I usually go bareback or the rubber ladders. I can't handle the extra circumference(/Gay)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some on amazon $8 that included shipping, put them on the ak, feel great and they didn't melt. You wouldn't tell the difference from those to larue.

they came in a pack of four

Last edited:
Hi Atilla,

Might be missing the point, so correct me if I am wrong.

I have XT panels on my rifle length AR - six panels on each of the three sides - so if one color should be total of 5 kits - I think I orders 2 each of 3 colors to get a mixed look

IMG_3430_zps18977c92.jpg

Instant karma!
I have a handful of XTM panels laying around, I don't use quad rails any more so you're welcome to them. Black and maybe a couple FDE, I'll check the parts bin and get a count, pm me an address and I'll send em your way.

edit - 7 black/3 fde

Last edited:
Instant karma!
I have a handful of XTM panels laying around, I don't use quad rails any more so you're welcome to them. Black and maybe a couple FDE, I'll check the parts bin and get a count, pm me an address and I'll send em your way.

If that is case Atilla, PM me if you want me to cut out a package before order ships.

You can play with my carbine, it is covered in those stupid covers. I am not a fan, I like a thinner profile to wrap my mitts around.

In fact, if you can hold your horses, I will likely give you all mine.

I had these in the past, and liked them much better.

Now I am looking at the Samson tube, since I was converted in the Boycott, or Die Troy thread, no need for any covers.

Last edited:
I went through the whole rail cover phase, but ultimately found the AFG2 which I love. Have you considered that? Or the ladder one that Roland has.

EVERYONE REP OILSPILL!

thanks, dude, got the covers you sent today and the rifle looks sharp, they actually match very nicely with the KAC covers i have. might do the top rail as well, not sure yet.

rifle? check.
...banana? check.
cat treats? check.

missing anything that's not an AK, gents?

IMG_20130910_174904_zps5848f1ef.jpg~original

Back
Top Bottom