Covid Relief Check

What are you going to spend your $1400 Covid relief check on?

• Guns

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Ammunition

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Optics

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Reloading equipment/supplies

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other firearm accessories

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Worthless things like food or rent

Votes: 22 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll be putting it the same place I put the other ones: towards student loans. I believe the majority of stimulus money has gone towards paying off debt, a great reason as to why these checks are very poor idea.
I saw a news item last week, that said the consumer savings rate is the highest it has ever been. People aren spending on much (no vacations, etc).
instead what they are doing is paying off debt. Face it, a vary large amount of people are working from home and don’t have the expenses of commuting and all. The means testing for these checks is a gift to most. My daughter is 27 and wont get one because she is working...she is just over the limit.
My wife and I qualify and we’re retired. We don’t need it, so may give it to the kids.

I'll give it back to them in the form of paying property taxes.

In fact I'm tired of all the free hand outs where I never got them so I'm joining the free shit army. Sign me up.

Haven’t qualified since the first one which went to charity. Wife and I haven’t missed a day of work so it’s absurd that they would send a check.

If your truly in need of a check then it should be going to essentials or into savings. If the wife and I had debt it would have gone towards that. Quite frankly if someone is still working they shouldn’t get a check but that’s too sensible for government policy.
I’ve worked straight through this bullshit from day 1 and haven’t received a dime in extra money for showing up to work during these “Unprecedented Times” ( Major Eye Roll ) I’m happy to not receive a check since I don’t need it, I’m also happy for the people that legit need the check to help them if they are actually working and struggling to make ends meet. What I’m disgusted by is this money going to inmates, shitbag illegals who are here to suck off the system and have their hands out, and the people that are capable but refuse to go back to work because they would rather sit home and drink/drug and or sit on their ass and get the extra money added on to their unemployment.

I’ve worked straight through this bullshit from day 1 and haven’t received a dime in extra money for showing up to work during these “Unprecedented Times” ( Major Eye Roll ) I’m happy to not receive a check since I don’t need it, I’m also happy for the people that legit need the check to help them if they are actually working and struggling to make ends meet. What I’m disgusted by is this money going to inmates, shitbag illegals who are here to suck off the system and have their hands out, and the people that are capable but refuse to go back to work because they would rather sit home and drink/drug and or sit on their ass and get the extra money added on to their unemployment.
Same boat. Have worked non-stop at work, not from home, throughout this whole thing. Not eligible, and I'm fine with that because it means I must be doing something right. And just like you, I'm weary of those who might be getting and cashing checks who don't deserve it, as while I don't get one myself, the expense is our collective burden for the long run. Yet I feel that this burden isn't as evenly distributed as the checks, with some of us having to cover the dept for others.

When the tax refund comes in, we are giving each kid $600 from last years round (we are getting it now - not a dime last year). Nothing on this round to split.

I saw an article that out of all the Kung-Flu spending (or should I say bills as gender studies in Afghanistan ain’t) they have done; they could have handed every man, woman and child >$18K

Some of the money went to testing, vaccines, and the like. I don't begrudge not getting the cash for those. The PPP technically I did get because that floated work for a while.

I saw a news item last week, that said the consumer savings rate is the highest it has ever been. People aren spending on much (no vacations, etc).
instead what they are doing is paying off debt. Face it, a vary large amount of people are working from home and don’t have the expenses of commuting and all. The means testing for these checks is a gift to most. My daughter is 27 and wont get one because she is working...she is just over the limit.
My wife and I qualify and we’re retired. We don’t need it, so may give it to the kids.

Yes, lots of people using the opportunity to improve their liquidity. It was a wake up call for some, their expenses got slashed but so did salaries. You can be net positive on savings at 80% salary if you were spending more than 20% on eating out, visiting people, and other stuff.

A lot of people plowed money into investing, which if they can is a good idea. Theoretically everyone should be taking a mid and long term view of their financial health. I think most of my buddies are coming out in a better situation than they were in a year ago. Of course most are not getting checks due to being single in their 30s in a career in a city so salaries over the limit.

A certain amount of the checks for my family went into reserve "just in case" someone in the extended family ran into issues. Though at this point we will probably just plow it into repairs and other things, probably some to charity.

Like the last relief checks I’ll be getting nothing, but my two somewhat grown up kids will get theirs.

At least I can see where my tax dollars are going.

Like the last relief checks I’ll be getting nothing, but my two somewhat grown up kids will get theirs.

At least I can see where my tax dollars are going.

It will be interesting to see how much "limited" inflation occurs in the next few years. Some people have made out very well this past year, and some are going to be digging themselves out for a while. If it wasn't for a cut for a few months at the end of 2020, I would have made out very well. I am sure my tax rate will ramp back up precipitously once we are no longer a family of 3 living on one salary.

I can't imagine having a job where I didn't qualify for a stimulus. We're on mandatory overtime plus Saturday mornings and I would still need another full time job and a half to reach the cutoff point. Factories in my general area don't pay very well. My old job of 26 years payed pretty well compared to where I'm at now. Unfortunately my old job went to China 10 years back.

Haven’t qualified since the first one which went to charity. Wife and I haven’t missed a day of work so it’s absurd that they would send a check.

If your truly in need of a check then it should be going to essentials or into savings. If the wife and I had debt it would have gone towards that. Quite frankly if someone is still working they shouldn’t get a check but that’s too sensible for government policy.
Giving money to only those who lost wages doesn't buy enough votes.

Not a dime again. I guess enlisted slobs are rich f***s.

Of course my paycheck last year came from federal sources and my pension this year from the same. All of which I pay taxes on, so not only am I contributing to other's free money, I am also (along with my fellow taxpayers) paying my own paycheck.

No huge sour grapes here. I'm loosely of the opinion that federal employees(which include the military) shouldn't have qualified for the wealth redistribution as most saw little change to their paycheck or employment status.

Not a dime again. I guess enlisted slobs are rich f***s.

Of course my paycheck last year came from federal sources and my pension this year from the same. All of which I pay taxes on, so not only am I contributing to other's free money, I am also (along with my fellow taxpayers) paying my own paycheck.

No huge sour grapes here. I'm loosely of the opinion that federal employees(which include the military) shouldn't have qualified for the wealth redistribution as most saw little change to their paycheck or employment status.
I would add most retired folks to the list of people who didn’t see any change in their income from Covid. My wife and I actually reduced our expenditures while our income stayed the same. In the past we would eat out at least three times a week. Since Covid we’ve eating at a sit-down restaurant exactly zero times, saving us about $200 a week. That’s why my wife insisted we give our relief money to folks whose livelihood depends on the restaurant business. Not only are we saving money, we aren’t giving any tips to all those restaurant workers that we used to support. Seems only fair to give that money back to them.

Yup, not getting shit thanks to them reducing the ceiling for capping payments. I didn't exactly get much out of the last two rounds, either.

Just more proof that the democrats don't give a shit for the middle class.

Yup, not getting shit thanks to them reducing the ceiling for capping payments. I didn't exactly get much out of the last two rounds, either.

Just more proof that the democrats don't give a shit for the middle class.
It's really more of a MA/Northeast/California issue:

"People who make $75,000 or less a year are eligible for the full $1,400 payment. Couples earning $150,000 or less will receive a $2,800 check, with $1,400 incoming for each dependent child. It is estimated that 85% of Americans will be eligible for the payments."

The US median family income is barely higher than the requirement for individual earnings.

Precisely zero states have a median household income of even $100,000, let alone $150,000.

"Pew Research defines middle-income Americans as those whose annual household income is two-thirds to double the national median (adjusted for local cost of living and household size). For a family of three, that ranges from $40,100 to $120,400 for 2018 incomes."

So even accounting from some inflation, the entire middle class, as well as a chunk of the upper middle class, qualifies.

It's really more of a MA/Northeast/California issue:

"People who make $75,000 or less a year are eligible for the full $1,400 payment. Couples earning $150,000 or less will receive a $2,800 check, with $1,400 incoming for each dependent child. It is estimated that 85% of Americans will be eligible for the payments."

The US median family income is barely higher than the requirement for individual earnings.

Precisely zero states have a median household income of even $100,000, let alone $150,000.

"Pew Research defines middle-income Americans as those whose annual household income is two-thirds to double the national median (adjusted for local cost of living and household size). For a family of three, that ranges from $40,100 to $120,400 for 2018 incomes."

So even accounting from some inflation, the entire middle class, as well as a chunk of the upper middle class, qualifies.

Yeah regional salary really skews things.

Making over 75-80K is a different world in Midwest town vs. Northeast City. Of course the shoe is on the other foot if you retire and move to another cheaper place. I don't know many people who are retiring in Iowa and moving to Boston for retirement. Most people I know around MA at retirement age are multi-millionaires due to property value plus reasonable retirement savings.

Yeah regional salary really skews things.

Making over 75-80K is a different world in Midwest town vs. Northeast City. Of course the shoe is on the other foot if you retire and move to another cheaper place. I don't know many people who are retiring in Iowa and moving to Boston for retirement. Most people I know around MA at retirement age are multi-millionaires due to property value plus reasonable retirement savings.
Yup, this just shows the folly of the Federal government setting nation wide rules relating to income. Mass ranks third in per capita income by state at $74,967, it also ranks third highest in cost of living with a “living wage” of $66,376. So while an average person in Michigan (per capita income $50,320, living wage $53,281) will easily qualify under the $75,000/$150,000 rule many folks in Mass, even though technically middle income, will not.

And I thought each dependent was only 600 - but I guess its 1400 per dependent! Sweet!

No gun related purchases. Planning on paying off the Mustang and maybe installing a new dual exhaust. :)

I was going to get a Gibson Les Paul - Hmmm... Maybe

Let's be realistic here.

No one in this thread is paying for this "free money".

Its our children who will have the bill, or children's children. Which is insane to me.
With the one exception of when the pols realized that the kids have smartened up and won’t stand for it. Then the gov will just monetize the debit (printing money to pay it off), which will set off an inflationary spiral which will impoverish all the elderly retired folks who are on relatively fixed incomes and hurt all the young folks who have saved for a raining day. Never underestimate the government’s ability to screw the people who were trying to do the right thing

I used my first two to pay for a couple of guns, a P365XL and a Ruger MKIV, the rest went into the bank. I told the dealer I was going to send Biden a thank you letter for the money and what I used it for. This next one is going to pay a plumber to re-pipe a bathroom remodel project.

Let's be realistic here.

No one in this thread is paying for this "free money".

Its our children who will have the bill, or children's children. Which is insane to me.

Plenty may pay if they get taxed for "over saving" and "hoarding investments". Any money you keep is a aggression on consumption. If you have more money than you need to buy things you can obviously afford to give your money to those who need things.

My 2 year old has a better investment account balence than I did when I graduated college.

I used mine for this Kimber (sorry, I have not taken my own picture yet, this is from listing):

1615853546605.png

I used my wife's for this Ruger RSI in 308 (picture is from listing, supposed to arrive at my dealer this week):

1615853797245.png

THANK YOU JOE FOR MY NEW GUNS! BUT YOU CAN STILL GO f*** YOURSELF!

Back
Top Bottom