• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote behavior?

I have a dual sport motorcycle, and ride the power lines frequently in my area, the amount of dear kills I ride up on in is eye opening. I suspect a good amount are wounded from car strikes, most seem to be less than a couple hundred yards from a road crossing, Mainly see a 20-30 foot circle of hair and maybe a random bone, everything else is gone. Haven't had a bad winter in several years, but i think it was 2015 a lot of deer got run down in the deep snow, coyotes can run on top after it freezes over a bit and the deer hooves go to the bottom. A kill in the snow looks like a blood bath

They don't generally take down full size deer unless on the ice, or weak, or in deep snow. Its more about the fawn crop losses.

Bears and coyotes out here absolutely hammer does that are dropping fawns, follow the mother doe til they drop, then eat the fawn basically right after it drops.

MA Fxcks and Wankers will never say that, but I've talked to people that have done den studies with cams on the den, a fawn is killed and brought to the den every two days is average. So figure that coyote takes out 15-20 fawns or more during fawning seasons. That's just one coyote. Bears are worse, but not as many of them as compared to coyotes.
Damn! Makes perfect sense. Friends back home had to watch cows very closely when they were due.

They don't generally take down full size deer unless on the ice, or weak, or in deep snow. Its more about the fawn crop losses.

Bears and coyotes out here absolutely hammer does that are dropping fawns, follow the mother doe til they drop, then eat the fawn basically right after it drops.

MA Fxcks and Wankers will never say that, but I've talked to people that have done den studies with cams on the den, a fawn is killed and brought to the den every two days is average. So figure that coyote takes out 15-20 fawns or more during fawning seasons. That's just one coyote. Bears are worse, but not as many of them as compared to coyotes.
Bear & Bobcat hold the #1 & #2 slots for most fawns taken. Coyotes are #3. There was a study done on this in NW Connecticut awhile back. I'll see of I can find it.

The consequence is that they eat deer, small game animals like rabbits and squirrels and grouse. ALL on the decline since they showed up in the 90's, especially grouse. Now you can't blame only them, there are fisher cats, bobcats, hawks, owls, foxes. Of which I see way more of the latter now when hunting, than I see small game animals and deer.
If it was up to me it would be open season on all predators including hawks and owls.....I see a shit ton of them. But try to shoot a squirrel or rabbit in my back woods....might take you 2 days to find one. A deer.....even longer. A grouse......in the 70's -90's you couldn't walk in the woods without seeing one, now, i bird hunt all year long and rarely even see one. I don't shoot them anymore, to me they are nearly fxcking extinct.
No offense...but the beauty of the 50's thru 70's and why we had leftover pheasants, lots of grouse, and rabbits and small game, was because DDT eradicated the fxcking birds of prey, we didn't have coyotes yet, the deer population in the western half was starting to really come up, then coyotes came in the 90's and its been in the shitter ever since. Small game populations, down. A lot of you guys may not have hunted in the 80's and 90's yet...but small game and birds.........was awesome back then compared to what it is now.
Are ya SURE about that, Mark????
The MA herd has DOUBLED since the 90's.
(that was just one cite of the population. In fact, it was the one where the data was easily in the 1st paragraph so I picked that one.)
BOTH of these are true. Game birds are much more hard to find. Lots of bunnies and deer though. Also, we have turkeys now, which we never had back then. Things have changed.

If taking down deer becomes their primary go-to, perhaps we'll see them evolve to become even bigger.
They don't generally take down full size deer
The packs of coyotes will chase deer over the cliffs down the hill from me. Then they run around to the bottom and eat the broken-legged deer.

Copied
Breeding season peaks in mid-February. They give birth in a den to 4–8 pups in April or May. Coyotes maintain seasonal social units that consist of the adult pair and the pups until the pups disperse on their own in late autumn.

Great reading.....I'm sure its directly fed from the insurance companies.... Im not talking at all about population in the eastern half where you can't hunt, that is going up because you can't hunt.

Did they mention the last three winters have been easy, did they mention that they put out UNLIMITED doe permits this year? Record year??? with UNLIMTED doe permits not even mentioned???? Really. They open up more time and more doe permits and its amazing! They kill more deer!!

In the east for sure more than doubled, no question. Not in the Central/West.

You also need to take in the account we've at least doubled the amount of hunting time allowed since the 90's, and increased doe permits which will increase kill rates.

Their Deer Per Square mile estimates are total bullshit. They don't do flyover surveys in the winter. There is nowhere in MA that has 80 deer per square mile. Except maybe some state park around Boston that can't be hunted and holds ten deer in total, and you see the same deer every day and that's what they count.

I've hunted states with 30 deer per square mile and you see deer every day in the fields. In my area they say 15 per square mile yet I barely see a deer driving around in a year.
Hunt a week, and your lucky to see one.

I just went down to my sons place in PA and saw about 10 deer driving around on a weekend, and their estimate is 25 deer per square mile in that area. Yet I'm seeing deer everywhere.

MA has no fxcking clue.

So is it coyotes or F&G? Is it other hunters or coyotes??? Lying insurance companies or surveying the wrong part of the state? It sounds like you're just generally pissed that you can't hunt the same as you did 30 or 40 years ago. Stuff changes. I get that it sucks. I haven't pulled in a 5#+ bass in 4 years. Not a one in my lake. Areas that were great are now terrible and vice versa. Stuff changes. You can't stop that. Unless you are Joe Biden. ;)

Bear & Bobcat hold the #1 & #2 slots for most fawns taken. Coyotes are #3. There was a study done on this in NW Connecticut awhile back. I'll see of I can find it.

Now you're just going to piss him off. LOL

And as far as deer herds and coyotes and such:

1. I see more and more deer every year. I live in a rural area of Eastern Ma. We have plenty of coyotes and still have more deer. We moved in in 94 and NO coyotes and RARELY a deer.

2. I HAVE seen a pack take down a healthy adult doe. It was a lot of work, but yes they can.

3. It might be just me, but the coyote/wolf things we have around here SEEM to be getting bigger in the last year or three. They were always "big" compared to their Southern counterparts, but they are larger-than-dog sized in many cases now.

Study is on pages 10 & 11 of the 2015 CT Wildlife Magazine for anyone interested.

Attachments

• CT Fawn Mortality Study.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 4
the coyote/wolf things we have around here SEEM to be getting bigger in the last year or three. They were always "big" compared to their Southern counterparts, but they are larger-than-dog sized in many cases now

1669168080968-png.689703
1669168153586-png.689705
1669168299186-png.689707

1669168369268.png

1669168493160.png

1669168080968-png.689703

Last edited:
IMG-7955.jpg
A random coyote outside my window about a month ago. Behavior seems normal, he's looking at the window every time my phone makes that stupid camera click sound. I need to shut that off ha ha.

Because they eat a fxck load of deer and I like to hunt deer, and since they came in its been nothing but population decline since the 1990's

They are shot on sight in my neighborhood.
They also do a number on Turkey, quail etc.. Stocked pheasant often don't last their arrival night. Outside cats are toast even in the city.

They also do a number on Turkey, quail etc.. Stocked pheasant often don't last their arrival night. Outside cats are toast even in the city.
Turkeys have the advantage of roosting high in trees, so they might get hit by hawks or owls, but the ground predators generally can't get them at night. This is the reason that they have thrived. Turkeys are thick around me....if you can't shoot a turkey in my neck of the woods your not trying too hard.

Last camera grab below. I have about 9 cameras to check from January until now. Lots of tracks yesterday with a roving group of 4-5. 271C1178-80BD-46BE-A912-002A300B8547.jpeg

Turkeys have the advantage of roosting high in trees, so they might get hit by hawks or owls, but the ground predators generally can't get them at night. This is the reason that they have thrived. Turkeys are thick around me....if you can't shoot a turkey in my neck of the woods your not trying too hard.
That does not explain the how turkeys can successfully raise so many chicks to the age that they can become airborne, my guess about 8 weeks or more , I see flocks of turkeys with dozens of chicks, Also monitor a game camera in the area and there is no shortage of coyotes afoot,

Turkeys can be pretty aggressive and suspect they do well defending themselves and their young

there are so many turkeys In my area you could harvest one with a pair of lopping shears if your quick on your feet

Back
Top Bottom