• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote sighting

Boghog1

NES Member
So driving in to work today I saw the largest coyote I have ever seen, nose to tail it had to be close to 6ft, and yes it was a coyote and not a pet. this was at 42.83686,-71.55859 this thing looked to be all of at least 80 lbs and well fed. has anyone seen coyote that big?

wow that's big I used to live in Barre and had 100+ acres of MDC in my back yard and saw them all the time. The biggest i saw was never bigger than and average sized dog. Certainly not bigger than my German Shepherd

wow that's big I used to live in Barre and had 100+ acres of MDC in my back yard and saw them all the time. The biggest i saw was never bigger than and average sized dog. Certainly not bigger than my German Shepherd

Barre Ma. or Barre VT?

I have one that size living in my neighborhood and see him every now and again. The first time I saw him I thought it was a small deer. It is definately a coyote as I have seem him(or her) fairly close several times now...Not sure what it's been eating......

Saw one that must have been 60-70lbs last spring while I was out turkey hunting.

About here: 42.88155,-71.75433.

Thing was coming in to me clucking. He came in from behind me.
He took off too fast when I turned to try and take a shot at him.

Biggest yote I’ve ever seen.

One of my neighbors kids took one a couple of years ago that weighed in at 75lbs.

I hear them a lot but seldom see them.I haven't seen one that big yet but I'm sure the wolf crossbreeds are making their way down from the north country. Joe Pustizzi sees them in the fields frequently,I'll ask him when I see him next.

So driving in to work today I saw the largest coyote I have ever seen, nose to tail it had to be close to 6ft, and yes it was a coyote and not a pet. this was at 42.83686,-71.55859 this thing looked to be all of at least 80 lbs and well fed. has anyone seen coyote that big?

Good Lord! 80 pounds?

I saw a good sized yote on my commute into work recently. It was just past the Sunapee traffic circle.

He was probably 50 pounds or so.

I am guestimating the weight based on shepards I have seen close to the size this god wasI wish I had my camera at the ready and wasn't running late to get into work

Saw one that must have been 60-70lbs last spring while I was out turkey hunting.
I saw one about that size a number of years back. It was just about dusk and I was driving from Wellesley to Weston on Wellesley Rd, maybe 1/2 mile south of the Pike. The coyote was standing in the middle of the road. I approached within about a car length of him and stopped, as he was in my lane. He slowly sauntered into the other lane, giving me the evil eye the whole time. He wasn't afraid of my 4600 lb SUV or of me.

I have a few game cam shots of a very healthy, large 'yote maybe 5 miles from there, so yeah. They got big last year and they probably had a real good winter. Probably not as heavy as it looks, tho. Winter coat and 12 straight months of good living'll make them look large.

A 'Wolf Guy' came and gave a talk for the Boy Scouts and talked about a Wild Wolf Den in NH and a DNA test on a large coyote, seems that it was 15% domestic dog, 25% Wolf and the rest Coyote.

His hope is that the Wolf trait to avoid humans and self limit the numbers will keep them out of trouble - of course it could always keep the Coyote 'screw you' attitude and just get larger with the strength increase too.

A 'Wolf Guy' came and gave a talk for the Boy Scouts and talked about a Wild Wolf Den in NH and a DNA test on a large coyote, seems that it was 15% domestic dog, 25% Wolf and the rest Coyote.

His hope is that the Wolf trait to avoid humans and self limit the numbers will keep them out of trouble - of course it could always keep the Coyote 'screw you' attitude and just get larger with the strength increase too.

So what are you saying, we need bigger guns?[laugh]

you know I didn't even think wolf because they are not around here but it looked very simlar to this
http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_AMAJA01030.aspx (the last one with the brown fur)
similar to these guys
200992321.jpg

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2009/09/23-02.html
Thicker neck than most coyotes I have seen

I had one in the back yard last fall that was eating the frogs off my lower lawn, he had to be 80 to 90 Lb's.

He was a biggie and in very good health.

One thing to remember with yotes is their fur is long and makes them "appear" to be heavier than they look.

I've seen a few yote road kills in the past month or so on 290 in Westboro.

I saw one about that size a number of years back. It was just about dusk and I was driving from Wellesley to Weston on Wellesley Rd, maybe 1/2 mile south of the Pike. The coyote was standing in the middle of the road. I approached within about a car length of him and stopped, as he was in my lane. He slowly sauntered into the other lane, giving me the evil eye the whole time. He wasn't afraid of my 4600 lb SUV or of me.

I think you and I have seen the same coyote........but I saw my coyote last year........in the wellsley/weston town line off of weston road Manor Ave a side street. He was at the edge of the road drove up on him. I actually stopped and rolled the window down and he was within 10 feet of my window and just stared at me. Did not have my phone on at the time. Went to get it to take a picture and he bolted. Pretty crazy.

I think you and I have seen the same coyote........but I saw my coyote last year........in the wellsley/weston town line off of weston road Manor Ave a side street. He was at the edge of the road drove up on him. I actually stopped and rolled the window down and he was within 10 feet of my window and just stared at me. Did not have my phone on at the time. Went to get it to take a picture and he bolted. Pretty crazy.

It was a summer night for me as well and I had the window rolled down. As you said, he just stared me down. Cheeky bastard.

In days gone by, a coyote that bold would have been shot, skinned, and tanned. Today, boldness is an advantage for coyotes, so the bold coyotes succeed. Darwin was right -- selection (whether natural or artificial) works.

Back
Top Bottom