• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyotes In Revere

This my response in a letter to the editor in the Boston Globe.

Hi, I have been made aware of the coyotes in Revere, Well folks you can't say that you weren't warned.
During the contentious campaign on the 1996 ballot question that outlawed trapping in Massachusetts the public was made aware that this would be the result of ignoring practiced and proven wildlife management.
Now you folks are reaping the results of emotion and ignorance. You were told by the likes of the MSPCA, HSUS (Humane Society United States) and The Massachusetts Audubon Society that this would not happen. Well it has.
So where are these groups now? Are they there spending their money to resolve this problem? NO! You folks want Fish and Wildlife to spend the dedicated funds of the Sportsmen and Women to solve a problem that through your ignorance, emotions and stupidity, that you folks created.
Folks the only way that this problem can be corrected, and will take years to start to correct this, Is you folks demand that your state representative and senator pass legislation totally repealing the anti trapping, anti wildlife management laws to where they were prior to the 1996 Ballot Question.
Though I am now in New Hampshire I was a longline trapper in Massachusetts until 1996.
So until then, Enjoy those Coyotes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.

It's an easy problem to resolve. This was on the nightly news a bit ago, and one of the locals was like, "yeah, I know what to do. Kill 'em."
This my response in a letter to the editor in the Boston Globe.

Joxxxx x. xxxxxxxx Jr.
Swanzey, NH
9xx-xxx-xxxx

Not sure it's worth doxxing yourself over...

Talked to a mailman in Chelsea last week who sees them regularly on his route. Between the marsh and 3 or 4 large cemeteries in the Revere/Chelsea/Everett area there's no shortage of coyotes. Turkeys as well

For years I've let coyotes walk during hunting season......my brain has always been "don't shoot what your not going to consume". Well I've come to the light in the last couple days. My son had a coyote come out while he was deer hunting last weekend.....yesterday he was tracking a deer he had just shot and he had to chase a coyote off the downed deer when he found it.....20 minutes from gunshot to coyote chewing on it. f*** these things I'm shooting every one I see from now on.

For years I've let coyotes walk during hunting season......my brain has always been "don't shoot what your not going to consume". Well I've come to the light in the last couple days. My son had a coyote come out while he was deer hunting last weekend.....yesterday he was tracking a deer he had just shot and he had to chase a coyote off the downed deer when he found it.....20 minutes from gunshot to coyote chewing on it. f*** these things I'm shooting every one I see from now on.
I was surprised when you said he chased it off rather than shooting it. I grok the "I'm not going to eat it" angle, but I'd be hard pressed to not say "looks like I'm getting a coyote rug/ruff to go with my venison."

Of course, I'm pretty adventurous, and would totally try eating it once...

I was surprised when you said he chased it off rather than shooting it. I grok the "I'm not going to eat it" angle, but I'd be hard pressed to not say "looks like I'm getting a coyote rug/ruff to go with my venison."

I use the term "consume" more in the sense of "utilize"......"consumption" doesn't need to be synonymous with "eat". I'm fine with hunting for furr and hyde.

I just don't know how to skin one and prepare it so I've always let them walk. At this point after our weekend experience with them I'll just shoot it and hang it from a tree to warn the others. 😂

I use the term "consume" more in the sense of "utilize"......"consumption" doesn't need to be synonymous with "eat". I'm fine with hunting for furr and hyde.

I just don't know how to skin one and prepare it so I've always let them walk. At this point after our weekend experience with them I'll just shoot it and hang it from a tree to warn the others. 😂
I'd start with "how hard can it be?" Two Several hours of cursing, and a hot shower later, I would have "enjoyed" a "teachable moment." I bet your solution works too.

Im pretty adventurous.....but not sure I could eat coyote.....

Here's my deer heart fajitas in progress.....just finished eating this for lunch. Best part of the deer besides the tenderloins imo. We always cook the heart and liver after we take one. The second photo is the heart meat after cleaning and trimming.....you'd swear it was flank steak if you didn't know it was heart. 20211114_125541.jpg 20211113_130747.jpg

I'm still rooting for the coyotes. lol

When I lived in Mass, I figured there was about a 70% chance that if the coyote I let walk bit someone, it would be a liberal, so I've always let them walk.

I get chastised here in NH, with the adage that every coyote you let walk kills 4 deer. I'm ok with that, too.

They'll have to really get bad before I want to shoot coyotes. And in big dump cities - no contest who I prefer.

Funniest part is I'm not a dog lover, either. lol

Would see them almost every night when I worked 11p-7am shift in East Boston. One of the news articles they interviewed some moon bat lady and she said I don't want them hurt but I don't want them in my neighborhood ok lady :rolleyes:

I know that we have no use for the Globe, but if there are some that do get that rag, would you please look for my LTE and copy and paste the rebuttals so that I my see them and who they are.

Im pretty adventurous.....but not sure I could eat coyote.....

Here's my deer heart fajitas in progress.....just finished eating this for lunch. Best part of the deer besides the tenderloins imo. We always cook the heart and liver after we take one. The second photo is the heart meat after cleaning and trimming.....you'd swear it was flank steak if you didn't know it was heart.View attachment 542469View attachment 542470
Coyote smell like wet dog when skinning them. And smell is one of those senses that the memory is very good at. So I suggest you disassociate that task as best you can prior to consumption.

Coyote smell like wet dog when skinning them. And smell is one of those senses that the memory is very good at. So I suggest you disassociate that task as best you can prior to consumption.
Some one with a weak stomach? LOL If you think they stink, You never skinned out a mink.

Last edited:
I am working in Everett currently next to the produce terminal in the middle of downtown. We have some HEALTHY looking coyotes wondering the site in the morning. It’s pretty wild to see that in the middle of the city. My little first year apprentice is terrified walking the site alone lol.

ACME catalogs being stolen off my porch, having to avoid bowls of free birdseed in the middle of the travel lane, having to look up every time you walk under a cliff face... they really are a nuisance animal.

Do the ones in Revere drive IROCs?

A few years ago, there was a coyote in Back Bay, that the PD gunned down, like, well....a dog.

A month or two later, a Coyote fell through the ice in the Charles, and Ice Rescue people went in to rescue it from the ice.

People are conflicted. The more city they are, the more conflicted.

I have a snackdog, that's stupid enough to think he's a real dog. He gives wolfhounds and Newfies crap. If a yote wanted to eat him, he'd bark, then make crunching noises on the way down. I look out, before I let him out. But, they are wily, or so I've heard.

When I walk him, I have a stick, and other things with me, as we have fox, coyote, and bobcat here (I've seen Bobby once, my son twice), and will go Dawn of Man Ape, like in 2001, if I have to, but otherwise....meh. They don't bother me, so I'll live and let live.

I used to work with a guy in Saugus? Everett? that had a den in a neighbor's yard, under a garage. They're everywhere. I'd say they're everywhere you want to be but, well......Everett....[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom