Cracked leather sling

OldNorth

NES Member
How do you guys deal with a crack like this? Just got this piece and haven't touched it up with any dressing yet. It doesn't go all the way thru, but it's working its way there.

Am I wrong in the assumption that something like this really cannot be repaired?

Is there something I can do to make sure it doesn't get any worse? Special tape?

I did my best using the google and didn't come up with much, so any help you can lay on me is highly appreciated. Thanks fellas

nsdosdfnsdoinc.jpg

Not much you can do. If a display sling, I have glued a few like that to stabilize it. When they finally broke, I have the sling repaired. I use a little place in Raynham.

T

I make slings, lots of them. Your sling is pretty dry and this will continue. A bit of Lexol might help a bit for the rest of the sling. Perhaps glue and stitch a bit of leather on the backside of that crack to reinforce it.

Andy
www.andysleather.com for my slings

On my svwMB sling that was already in two pieces, they shaved the ends at a 45 degree angle and then glued and stitched them.

Before and After.

T

I make slings, lots of them. Your sling is pretty dry and this will continue. A bit of Lexol might help a bit for the rest of the sling. Perhaps glue and stitch a bit of leather on the backside of that crack to reinforce it.

Andy
www.andysleather.com for my slings

Thanks a lot for your reply, Andy. I've been using KO-CHO-LINE to restore leather goods. Would you recommend using a leather cleaner before using a conditioner? I usually just use the K-C-L but you got me thinking with the Lexol recommendation. Never heard of Lexol before.

Last edited:
Some cleaners can be harsh on the leather and strip any remaining emollients out. If the leather is fairly clean, start applying whatever potion you like that has oils/fats in it to re-feed the leather. You might find that lexol absorbs faster into the leather than your KoCho.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom