Cracked M14 stock. I THINK I AM FINISHED?

What finish

• Minwax tung oil finish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some sort of crazy color Dye. Choose below or add ideas in post

• Amber

• Total voters
Looks great. Really liking the TruOil finish.

Will be interesting to see what the rottenstone polish job looks like. I used to do business with the higher end furniture makers when they were still in North Carolina. They used oil and 0000 steel wool to get a satin polish on surfaces. That's what I use, so will be interesting to compare vs. rottenstone.

I need to get it in gear and do something with the fancy M1 stock I won at Vermont but promised myself I'd get off my ass and list some crap for sale before doing that. I have a couple M1 stocks to unload, misc parts, and I may just sell the USGI stock that came with my DuPage M14 kit.
Im getting ready to do the rotten stone pumice polish..

As usual I never seem to get to do things when I want to. Was all set to wake up this AM and take some Nice out door pictures. Well I went full snowflake over the snow and only ventured out long enough to replace the Flywheel Key on my on going RotoTiller project from hell.

I used the stock all last season so it has a few dings and scratches. I will not make any attempt to fix or repair any of the dings or scratches. Im just going to get rid of the glossy look and give it a nice satin luster. The Tru Oil should be well cured by now

What I plan to do
600 grit wet sand with a sponge for a backer. Then I will do rotten stone 1st and them pumice. I will be using those make up remover pads with water.

the DOD stamp was hardly isible when I first received the stock. Not until I did a first Dye of black to try and bring out some grain did it show its face well.
100_4377.JPG100_4379.JPG100_4380.JPG100_4383.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, that's red! Red is rad?

Just do this and bring it to Old Colony:

IMG_9602.JPG

Plus I want to see that posted on the M14 forum, LOL.
well hot pink may be a reality soon!
back in my early posts I talked about some contamination issues with the Dye and Tru Oil.
Well it showed its ugly face when doing the buff out. Some high spots also created some issues.
While doing the quick 600 wet sand I could feel the difference in finish in spots. Then when buffing those spots basically gave up the dye.
Against my better judgement I should have stripped off the finish at first sign of trouble back when I started this. So looks like this stock will get a glass bed job and bright pink paint.
Im to frustrated to bother with pic s right now.
im sure I could fix it but its the same chance of problems with the dye and tru oil

well hot pink may be a reality soon!
back in my early posts I talked about some contamination issues with the Dye and Tru Oil.
Well it showed its ugly face when doing the buff out. Some high spots also created some issues.
While doing the quick 600 wet sand I could feel the difference in finish in spots. Then when buffing those spots basically gave up the dye.
Against my better judgement I should have stripped off the finish at first sign of trouble back when I started this. So looks like this stock will get a glass bed job and bright pink paint.
Im to frustrated to bother with pic s right now.
im sure I could fix it but its the same chance of problems with the dye and tru oil

Good project for your daughter's splatter paint? Bummer it turned on you. Looked pretty good in the above posts.

Back
Top Bottom