• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cracked Stock Repair: Salvaging an SKS

So, there are still a few of these very early Type 56 SKS's floating around on the whole sale market. I picked one up on sale before Christmas. It came slathered in cosmoline (as expected) but the metal looked excellent. The stock however, had a pretty giant crack in it. Two cracks in fact. One diagonal down the right side above the trigger and one vertically in the wrist at the back edge of the receiver. My first inclination was to just toss it and find a decent replacement. I realize that would be the sensible thing to do, cheap, fast and easy. After cleaning it up though, I decided I really liked the "battle worn" look. Im a sucker for a project, and being the dead of winter I figured why not dive in. This would be a great "low risk" opportunity to teach myself some stock repair techniques. This thread on NES gave me a good start. https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...ack-Repair-Step-by-Step?highlight=stock+crack

This is how she arrived. Coated in cosmoline....nice big crack. The crack is actually worse than it looks. This crack and the second crack at the rear of the receiver actually intersect inside the stock at some compound angles.

I got everything cleaned up as good as possible. Then I ground back the surfaces that mate with the rear of the receiver and drilled several holes directly down into the cracks. I used a 2" long needle of similar diameter to inject epoxy to the deepest point in the cracks. I spread the cracks open and forces epoxy in until it was oozing out everywhere. I also cross drilled the rear crack and installed a brass screw to reinforce and pull it together.

After letting the epoxy dry I came in and tried my hand at "bedding" the rear portion of the stock. I did this partially to tighten the action but more so to tie the rear of the stock together and add reinforcement. It worked great. The stock is probably stronger than ever.

Next step. I drilled one shallow hole in addition to the hole for the brass screw. The large side crack split into two smaller cracks at this point. My thought was to epoxy a plug in to prevent the crack from continuing.

Last step. I applied a couple light coats of reddish-brown stain, couple coats of boil linseed and.....DONE. Im totally proud of how it came out. The cracks closed up nicely and it is incredibly strong. I think visually this fits much better than a new glossy looking replacement stock. Its a solid, functional shooter that looks good too.

Cheers

looks like mine did. I used a heat gun on low to pull out the cosmo, if you didn't do this and just cleaned the surface it will come out through the wood after shooting or in the summer for sure.
I used gorilla glue on a buds and has worked great actually.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 25
I have 2 sks with arsenal repairs with pins. I will say the repairs are better than what I have seen by mondern smiths.
I like what you did and that should hold and will blend in nice. Maybe hit the handquard with a heat gun a wipe up some of the ooze to apply to the repaired are to really blend in?

Did that come from J&G Sales? I bought one last year that was a gunsmith special cracked stock for 199.00. My stock was too cracked to repair. Numrich has stocks for these for 35.00. They sell fast so you need to check their site often.
My type 56 is my favorite shooter sks.

looks like mine did. I used a heat gun on low to pull out the cosmo, if you didn't do this and just cleaned the surface it will come out through the wood after shooting or in the summer for sure.
I used gorilla glue on a buds and has worked great actually.

Oh.....I know it. Believe it or not I sucked about 99.9% of the cosmoline out of this stock. It took several cycles through the oven and tooth brush with citrus cleaner.

Did that come from J&G Sales? I bought one last year that was a gunsmith special cracked stock for 199.00. My stock was too cracked to repair. Numrich has stocks for these for 35.00. They sell fast so you need to check their site often.
My type 56 is my favorite shooter sks.

This one came from SOG. I thought this stock was too far gone to repair. I only gave it a shot since I figured I had nothing to lose. This is my first SKS and I love it. There's something awesome about jamming a stripper clip in and slinging the bolt home.

Great save! I think you will be pleased, knowing that it is the original matching stock. Some collectibility has been retained.

That was part of my motivation. I figure, who knows what this rifle has been through in the last 60 years. It arrived on my door with all matching numbers. Id hate to toss the stock now.

Back
Top Bottom