• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crazy question

GaryO

NES Member
I was watching one of those videos with crazy neighbors yelling at each other and in one of them a neighbor was a Ham Radio operator. The neighbors were complaining that when he transmits it messes up their cell phones and wifi. The guy was upset because he was on a business call and he could pick up the radio conversations, is that something that can happen? Supposedly he was on a low power setting. I know nothing about Ham radios hence the question.

I was watching one of those videos with crazy neighbors yelling at each other and in one of them a neighbor was a Ham Radio operator. The neighbors were complaining that when he transmits it messes up their cell phones and wifi. The guy was upset because he was on a business call and he could pick up the radio conversations, is that something that can happen? Supposedly he was on a low power setting. I know nothing about Ham radios hence the question.
I know ham transmissions can drive nearby unpowered speakers. Had a couple big old standing speakers in my apartment in college in Vermont. They were not plugged in. One night a womans voice kept coming from them. My hippy roommates were tripping out and losing their shit over it.🤣

Neighbor had a big HAM antenna on the house that we'd pick up occasionally.

When I'm transmitting on my radio, which is only 100 watts on a wire antenna, I can hear my Donald Duck voice coming through my powered computer speakers upstairs but cellphones and Wifi? I doubt it...unless he's transmitting on frequencies above 1.2 GHz which be closer to the frequencies used on those other services.

"Back when" the 6M AM ham band was close to TV channel 2 and there would be some bitching about it. Jack.
Yeah, when I was a johnny novice in the 70's, I would wipe out the family TV when I transmitted. I had to work out a schedule with the rest of the family which sucked. If there was a good band opening but everyone was watching Lost in Space or Saturday morning cartoons, I was SOL.

Timbo it sounds as though you have ann RF problem. You need to install a RF Choke. If you are using an end fed wire antenna this is even a bigger problem. Contact me so we can discuss I can help you with this problem
John N1HM

Timbo it sounds as though you have ann RF problem. You need to install a RF Choke. If you are using an end fed wire antenna this is even a bigger problem. Contact me so we can discuss I can help you with this problem
Don't be a killjoy.

Stray RF is like Denorex dandruff shampoo.

When he grabs a metal object in his shack,
the tingle tells him it's working.

John N1HM
No, this was over 50 years ago with a home brew dirty transmitter made from old tv parts. I haven’t had those problems in decades. As far as the Donald Duck sound, it’s caused because my powered speakers are about 15 feet from one leg of my ocfd which is just a temporary situation until I have time to hang a better antenna further away.

Normally this doesn't get into stuff in the digital domain at all, that doesnt make sense.

Trashing computer speakers, soundbars, audio systems? you bet... with the right or wrong circumstances.

John N1HM

After a certain point there is literally nothing you can do, although you can often filter the afflicted devices pretty easy.

/rant....

These f***ing things.... these things were literally the worst. A 4W CB 200 yards away could blast over one of these shitboxes clear as day.... [rofl]

shitphone.jpg

When I'm transmitting on my radio, which is only 100 watts on a wire antenna, I can hear my Donald Duck voice coming through my powered computer speakers upstairs but cellphones and Wifi? I doubt it...unless he's transmitting on frequencies above 1.2 GHz which be closer to the frequencies used on those other services.
wifi and cell are digital, so even if their receiver picked up the signal there is no way they would process it into anything more than an error in the audio stream, which would give you clipped audio or blank spots, not static. What's more likely is the speaker of the device is picking up the signal and responding to that.

Speaker, or more likely the analog amplifier (e.g. for the speakerphone function).

FCC takes these things seriously, but if the ham is operating within spec, then it is not on him to solve the problem.

Speaker, or more likely the analog amplifier (e.g. for the speakerphone function).

FCC takes these things seriously, but if the ham is operating within spec, then it is not on him to solve the problem.
I'll see if i can find the video, the person was losing their mind over it. The operator was saying that he wasn't using the radio past 5pm and was using it on a low power setting.

No, they don't, unless it involves public safety, aviation, etc. They could give a shit less otherwise. Ask hams and CBers about "the war of the chinese grow lamps" that f***ing spray RFI everywhere. (Especially below 60 mhz)

No, they don't, unless it involves public safety, aviation, etc. They could give a shit less otherwise. Ask hams and CBers about "the war of the chinese grow lamps" that f***ing spray RFI everywhere. (Especially below 60 mhz)
So true!

No, this was over 50 years ago with a home brew dirty transmitter made from old tv parts. I haven’t had those problems in decades. As far as the Donald Duck sound, it’s caused because my powered speakers are about 15 feet from one leg of my ocfd which is just a temporary situation until I have time to hang a better antenna further away.
64l4ha.jpg

Normally this doesn't get into stuff in the digital domain at all, that doesnt make sense.

Trashing computer speakers, soundbars, audio systems? you bet... with the right or wrong circumstances.
This "digital" nonsense is getting so bad that
you can hardly screw with the neighbors any more
by sweeping a grid dip oscillator plumbed into your rabbit ears
while looking at their TV through their window with binoculars.

/rant....

These f***ing things.... these things were literally the worst. A 4W CB 200 yards away could blast over one of these shitboxes clear as day.... [rofl]
God is a CBer.
At least, we heard him say "10-4" to agree with a sermon during 11AM services once.

I'll see if i can find the video, the person was losing their mind over it. The operator was saying that he wasn't using the radio past 5pm and was using it on a low power setting.
Whenever operating operators erect a new antenna visible from the street,
they don't even cable it until the neighbors have all bitched
about how it's interfering with Their Stories. Because nothing beats
showing them a roll of shrink-wrapped coax at the base of the mast
not even wired to the antenna.
#ProTip

I had a neighbor with a antenna about 50’ tall. Every time I got a phone call I could hear that asswipe talking nonscence !

I had a neighbor with a antenna about 50’ tall. Every time I got a phone call I could hear that asswipe talking nonscence !
When my daughter was born in 93 I could hear my neighbors cordless phone conversations on the baby monitor, I never talked on a cordless phone after that.

When my daughter was born in 93 I could hear my neighbors cordless phone conversations on the baby monitor, I never talked on a cordless phone after that.
You'd be safe now on a modern phone...it's all digital. The only folks that could hear you now would be the FBI, CIA, NSA and any number of alphabet agencies. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom