• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Criminals and the Guns They Carry

Hiltonizer

Banned
if you ever watch those gang shows and or documentaries, you would already know this. They really have no idea what they are doing, they usually call the guns by the amount of ammo in them.

The very biggest criminals of all don't even carry any weapons, they have others that do it for them.

084E645F-FF7A-CE1B-0456EE8DC104693D_1.jpg

Last edited:
if you ever watch those gang shows and or documentaries, you would already know this. They really have no idea what they are doing, they usually call the guns by the amount of ammo in them.
The problem with this article, while it matches everything I've seen/read/experienced elsewhere, is that it might give you a false sense of security.

There are also skilled bad-guys out there as well. Knowing your enemy is important, underestimating him based on that knowledge is deadly.

Interesting article, good to know that most criminals are in fact so dumb they weapon they carry likely isn't functional. Also raises the point that we probably over think our CCW choice.

Out of 85 weapons seized:

24 are not loaded
2 are not loaded with the correct ammunition
9 are completely broken

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-columns/features/criminals-and-the-guns-they-carry/

If you read through the entire article you'll see that the majority of the seized guns were loaded and functional 9mm or larger caliber pistols. In other words, if a criminal pulls a gun on you the odds are that it's functional, loaded, and of sufficient caliber to kill you quickly.

And then there's this:
My police agency is relatively small and patrols a very affluent suburban community in the Midwest. The crime rate in our city is very low.

Seems unlikely that these are "hardened criminals" at all.

All in all it's a shitty article....

Last edited:
The problem with this article, while it matches everything I've seen/read/experienced elsewhere, is that it might give you a false sense of security.

There are also skilled bad-guys out there as well. Knowing your enemy is important, underestimating him based on that knowledge is deadly.

pretty much

These Gangstas should have to go qualify at the range . At least they'd shoot who they were aiming at,instead of Innocent bystanders

And these seized guns were taken from criminals who got caught, the smart criminals who got away probably have better firepower.

I strongly disagree with the statement that one is possibly overthinking the choice for a ccw.

Thugs get into fights and get into gunfights. It is well documented that thugs practice shooting. Thugs don't have as much to lose if they die and a lot of the time don't really care. Thugs pick the time and place to attack YOU. They've been shot at, stabbed, shot, beat up, etc.

The average Joe ccw who has never seen a gunfight is at a huge disadvantage. To play this off lightly and pretend like the thug who is going to attack you isn't as well armed or well prepared as you, is absolutely rediculous and you are severely lacking a proper grasp on reality.

The article is a waste of however long it takes you to read it. Its utter dribble.

If you read through the entire article you'll see that the majority of the seized guns were loaded and functional 9mm or larger caliber pistols. In other words, if a criminal pulls a gun on you the odds are that it's functional, loaded, and of sufficient caliber to kill you quickly.

And then there's this:

Seems unlikely that these are "hardened criminals" at all.

All in all it's a shitty article....

I did read through it entirely, apparently you didn't. A large percentage of the guns loaded and functional were often loaded with the wrong ammunition, under loaded, or experienced a failure of at least 1 in 3 shots. Towards the end of the article it even states "In total, 66 percent of the guns we took from criminals were unable to be fired or could be fired for fewer than three rounds before being empty or experiencing a malfunction!"

And I don't give a shit where the crime is, an armed criminal is an armed criminal. Using your logic I shouldn't carry at all because I live in a small rural, affluent community that might show up in the regional police logs once a month for a jaywalking squirrel.

In summary, I think all the article was trying to convey that if you have a well cared for, loaded ccw piece then you are better off than the majority of armed criminals and that's what's really important.

Hiltonizer said:
I did read through it entirely, apparently you didn't. A large percentage of the guns loaded and functional were often loaded with the wrong ammunition, under loaded, or experienced a failure of at least 1 in 3 shots. Towards the end of the article it even states "In total, 66 percent of the guns we took from criminals were unable to be fired or could be fired for fewer than three rounds before being empty or experiencing a malfunction!"

And I don't give a shit where the crime is, an armed criminal is an armed criminal. Using your logic I shouldn't carry at all because I live in a small rural, affluent community that might show up in the regional police logs once a month for a jaywalking squirrel.

In summary, I think all the article was trying to convey that if you have a well cared for, loaded ccw piece then you are better off than the majority of armed criminals and that's what's really important.

Oh, cool, the bad guy will probably only be able to shoot me three times. I feel so much better.

How many gun-turned-sideways "kill shots" are listed? I could not find that stat...

The criminals use whatever they can get, steal ect. My belief is shoot first don't wait to see if this criminal is the "dumb one". Live to fight another day no judge expects a person to be shot at first before defending ones self

Keith

THIS... That's what I got out of it too... You really never know. You don't let your guard down, you practice, and like "The Boy Scouts" always be prepared.

And if you're fully loaded you'll have him out gunned, that's the ****ing point.

You guys need to stop arguing about semantics about a shitty article. Basically you guys are fighting over a turd. [laugh]

Bad guys with guns need to be shot first, end of story. Who cares whether or not their gun has a 50% chance of being broken, or not.... I know I ain't counting on that. I don't care if it turns out its an effing airsoft gun, if it looks real to me I'm gonna respond appropriately.

-Mike

You guys need to stop arguing about semantics about a shitty article. Basically you guys are fighting over a turd. [laugh]

I'm in alignment with you 90+% of the time and value your opinion on a thread, but I just want to make clear I don't appreciate some dullard accusing me of not reading or understanding the meaning of an article I felt worth sharing here. Particularly when I've noticed said person exhibits similar and otherwise negative behavior with regularity. I will make that clear every time, regardless of how argumentative over semantics it may seem.

Bad guys with guns need to be shot first, end of story. Who cares whether or not their gun has a 50% chance of being broken, or not.... I know I ain't counting on that. I don't care if it turns out its an effing airsoft gun, if it looks real to me I'm gonna respond appropriately.

-Mike

Hey, we're back in agreement.

The criminals use whatever they can get, steal ect. My belief is shoot first don't wait to see if this criminal is the "dumb one". Live to fight another day no judge expects a person to be shot at first before defending ones self

Keith

Actually, given that that is what they expected of us in COMBAT, it would not surprise me if they expect exactly that.

Based on the rules of engagement from my friends recent tour of duty(returned 2011), here is the new CCW self-defense rules:

1)You may not fire until fired upon, and only after issuing no less than two(2) verbal warnings to cease the hostile action.
2)You may not draw your weapon and ready it unless there is hostile actions against you directly(Other party physically pointing a gun at you, the presence of a drawn weapon by the other party does not allow you to draw your own)
3)You may not use your weapon to protect those around you, you must be in imminent danger personally. (Buddy sat on a ridge and watched a convoy get ambushed and was told directly that they were not allowed to engage, as no shots had been fired at them.)

"Treat every firearm as if it is loaded"

IMO that applies to bad guys' gats, as well.....

And, referncing the Sun Tzu qoute at the start: It continues along the lines of, "....If you know yourself, but not your enemy, you will usually be victorious." The point being that self-kowledge is more important.

In this context, I'd say that "knowing youself" means more that the stats WRT wether a criminal's gun is properly loaded, and fully operational.

"Treat every firearm as if it is loaded"

IMO that applies to bad guys' gats, as well.....

And, referncing the Sun Tzu qoute at the start: It continues along the lines of, "....If you know yourself, but not your enemy, you will usually be victorious." The point being that self-kowledge is more important.

In this context, I'd say that "knowing youself" means more that the stats WRT wether a criminal's gun is properly loaded, and fully operational.

You said gat haha that is so gangster.

Back
Top Bottom