Cross Eye Dominance Advice?

I have the same as you (left eye dominant right handed). I do find myself subconsciously tilting my head and half closing my right eye when I use pistol irons. I do try to train both eyes open, but often fall back on "tilt/squint" for longer shots or when I'm trying really hard for accuracy. Sucks. I've had no luck training my weak eye, but then again, I don't have the time to commit to doing it right. Been to the range like once in the past 4 weeks.

One quick answer is to get a parallax-free red dot and shoot both eyes open. Works on all platforms. But even then I have an astigmatism, so then there's that as well. God doesn't want me being accurate, I guess.

Same here, right handed, left eye dominant. I went to sig academy a few weeks back and the instructor suggested squinting my left eye instead of turning my head. I did for most of the class, and it was fine, but I prefer turning my head because there is less eye fatigue involved. I wish I had just started off by shooting lefty, but that ship has sailed. Plus sometimes I feel like I have no dominance and I just see double no matter what. The only thing I’m sure of is that it sucks and I envy those who just have a regular sight picture. I’ve also tried red dots and while I like them, I still find myself having to tilt my head a bit.

Eye dominance is one of the least important things in shooting, and I wish the NRA basic safety curriculum would drop it altogether.

If you shoot both eyes open (which you probably should for any practical pistol stuff), you are only ever using one eye to aim, no matter what. So 1 vs 2 eyes open has nothing to do with eye dominance.

If you shoot the correct isosceles stance with noticeably bent elbows, it is easy to position the gun to whichever eye comes naturally, and you shouldn't give it too much thought. It's literally just a matter of moving your hands left or right a little and you should never cant your gun or cock your head like a movie star.

Any change to the bullet impact when you switch aiming eyes is due to you flinching in a slightly different way. If when the shot breaks you see an acceptable sight picture with either eye (dominant or non-dominant, doesn't matter), that's where the bullet will go.

Photons tell the same story no matter which retina they land on.

I'm right handed, right eye dominant. My right eye is fairly useless (not getting into why) So I shoot handguns left eye by twisting my head a bit. For rifles I need an optic with an adjustable ocular. So far its working.

Back
Top Bottom