• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crossbow allowance in MA

So, I have some neuropathy in my strong hand that has limited my ability to shoot a bow (specifically to hold it at draw length and aim.) I have a PCP that is very supportive of shooting and hunting (we belong to the same club). I have reviewed the mass requirements for being issued a crossbow permit/stamp but find it vague (Its possible I'm misreading it). Can anyone help me figure out this process? My Dr. will write what is true and necessary about my condition but are there other hurdles to expect? Anyone been through this.

I haven't hunted in over 20 years due to a really bad day, loss of dog and nearly life. I took a safety course earlier in the year and was really hoping to get back into hunting.

THANKS!

PS If you know a good surgeon that can make the problem go away please forward contact info.

cant help with a surgeon...but sorry to hear about that bad day..sounds like something out of movie. I dont hunt but have had shoulder surgeries and cant really pull a bow back pain free. But cross bows def look fun for shooting.. have you tried physical therapy to strengthen your grip etc.

cant help with a surgeon...but sorry to hear about that bad day..sounds like something out of movie. I dont hunt but have had shoulder surgeries and cant really pull a bow back pain free. But cross bows def look fun for shooting.. have you tried physical therapy to strengthen your grip etc.

Yes, have had OT that helps but not in shooting a bow. Are you considering applying for the use of a crossbow? Any advise?

So, I have some neuropathy in my strong hand that has limited my ability to shoot a bow (specifically to hold it at draw length and aim.) I have a PCP that is very supportive of shooting and hunting (we belong to the same club). I have reviewed the mass requirements for being issued a crossbow permit/stamp but find it vague (Its possible I'm misreading it). Can anyone help me figure out this process? My Dr. will write what is true and necessary about my condition but are there other hurdles to expect? Anyone been through this.

I haven't hunted in over 20 years due to a really bad day, loss of dog and nearly life. I took a safety course earlier in the year and was really hoping to get back into hunting.

THANKS!

PS If you know a good surgeon that can make the problem go away please forward contact info.

I am sorry about your injury.

In Mass, and Connecticut, it is a very easy and straightforward process. All you need to do is have your doctor fill out the form certifying that you are permanently injured and cannot operate a bow Then just send it in. It is free and you should have your permit in a couple of weeks. In Mass I got a laminated card and in Connecticut they now print it on your license. Connecticut is talking about allowing crossbows for all in the archery season.

Here are the links to the forms

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/licensing/permits/pdf/crossbow_permit_application.pdf

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/hunting_trapping/forms_applications/crossbow.pdf

If you want to talk or have questions shoot me a PM and I will respond with my number.

A couple of things to consider buying a crossbow:

1. Go to Cabelas or BassPro and shoot every crossbow you can get your hands on to see what feels right.

2. You need to figure out how you are going to handle a cocked crossbow at the end of your hunt. Most shoot them off. I let mine down with the cocking rope.

I have an Excalibur crossbow which is a re-curve. It is wider than most if not all but it is built like a tank. I carry a spare string in the truck in the event that it gets damaged and can swap it out right there. It is easier than you might think to bump the string of a crossbow with a broadhead. I haven't been to a "pro" shop in years as I can do all of my own maintenance.

Bob

Very easy to get a crossbow permit especially if you have a sympathetic MD. HORIZONTALHUNTER has put up links that you can use to find your way thru the process. As as side not, R&R sporting goods in Belchertown has a wide selection of crossbows and you can actually try them out right there in the store. I did go to Cabalas’' and check out there selection but in the end I opted for the local shop and I feel I made out better. Good luck with the permit process.

So you only need the permit to hunt correct? I am assuming its ok to buy and use for personal target practice at the Gun club etc. Never investigated much into the crossbow dealings

Pretty much as Horizontal Hunter stated. After suffering torn rotator cuffs in my shoulders I could no longer draw my bow. My orthopedist made out the required form and I had my lifetime, laminated permit in about 7 days. I have a Parker crossbow that is kickass on deer.
Sorry about your injury, but this permit will get you back in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom