• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crossbow fever

I picked up a crossbow when my gun range closed for Covid. Nice to have something to shoot right in the backyard.

They are OK. I like my Excalibur its short and small. When I hunted CT I used it, but really not as much as I thought I would. I carried the regular bow 50% of the time.

I still prefer the bow. Quicker follow up shots and easier to carry around. And I can use it more places. MA and NH are a pain to use the Xbow unless your medically approved.

Ill be using the excalibur in PA, but will still take my regular bow along too.

Off the ground though, all day long I'd use the Xbow......not having to draw is like using a gun.

They are OK. I like my Excalibur its short and small. When I hunted CT I used it, but really not as much as I thought I would. I carried the regular bow 50% of the time.

I still prefer the bow. Quicker follow up shots and easier to carry around. And I can use it more places. MA and NH are a pain to use the Xbow unless your medically approved.

Ill be using the excalibur in PA, but will still take my regular bow along too.

Off the ground though, all day long I'd use the Xbow......not having to draw is like using a gun.

I have an Excalibur as well. I have been hunting with it for 12 years or so In both MA and CT. It is hard to beat a recurve crossbow. They are bullet proof.

If you’ve never used or owned a crosssbow, do it.

Popped my cherry today, invented another dozen ways to hurt myself.

A Crossbows way more deadly than a firearm…

These are my first two shots ruined my bolts.

49BCDDA5-7A67-4405-AF18-E4702D4984B5.jpeg B177BF10-45C4-47A1-8DC2-8D2C403FD667.jpeg

If you’ve never used or owned a crosssbow, do it.

Popped my cherry today, invented another dozen ways to hurt myself.

A Crossbows way more deadly than a firearm…

These are my first two shots ruined my bolts.

View attachment 685635View attachment 685636

Shooting at the same spot gets expensive real fast with a crossbow.

Any archery shop can refletch them for you as long as the arrows aren’t cracked. I refletch my own with the Arizona EZ fletch.

It’s just plain stupid, what if your shoulder heals and you want to hunt with your recurve or compound again? Doesn’t make much sense.

Is it still the case in MA where if you go to crossbow for deer hunting, you cant go back to bow...?
Yes, as @chuckules said, you can’t go back. When I got mine they used to give you a laminate card to carry on your person. Now they print it right on your licens.

There is usually a reason for everything. What the hell is the reason for this stupid regulation? Jack.

Who knows in this state. It really screws bowhunters with a temporary issue like rotator cuff surgery. They end up missing the season As technically they aren’t eligible for a crossbow permit as it isn’t a “permanent” injury.

In practice they really don’t scrutinize the applications so they are easy to get but you can’t go back.

Bob

If anyone is interested in an Excalibur matrix 330 all set up for a good price let me know, I’m looking to sell it.
Sorry for the hijack Jack.

Is it still the case in MA where if you go to crossbow for deer hunting, you cant go back to bow...?

There is usually a reason for everything. What the hell is the reason for this stupid regulation? Jack.

It’s just plain stupid, what if your shoulder heals and you want to hunt with your recurve or compound again? Doesn’t make much sense.

It’s the first I’ve heard about this I still have to go down to my doctor for a doctors note and hopefully I’ll get a handicap placard as well..

I never heard about them not being able to go back thing….

It’s the first I’ve heard about this I still have to go down to my doctor for a doctors note and hopefully I’ll get a handicap placard as well..

I never heard about them not being able to go back thing….

You probably know this but just in case you don’t; there is a specific form for the crossbow permit like the handicapped placard.
https://www.mass.gov/doc/crossbow-permit-application/download

So now what’s required for crossbow purchase, just a pistol permit or pistol permit and a hunting license?

Nothing. It is archery. Don’t give them any ideas 😆

There has to be a friggin democrat involved somewhere in the system. Jack.
I guess its a thing........

What is the purpose of not being able to go back into a regular bow? Most people probably wouldn't go back anyway.

And really what would the warden write you up for????.....switching back to something harder to hunt with???? Its full retard.

I guess its a thing........

What is the purpose of not being able to go back into a regular bow? Most people probably wouldn't go back anyway.

And really what would the warden write you up for????.....switching back to something harder to hunt with???? Its full retard.
While it’s the first I’m hearing about it, I assume it’s because you’re supposed to be disable to use a crossbow so they don’t want you going back-and-forth? It’s not that I can’t pull the back it’s that I can’t do it enough times to get any practice in..
I put down my bow about 15 years ago..

I’m pretty happy with the free crossbow I got but I definitely gotta get one with one of the crank/winches on it

I’m telling you I really don’t like the idea of them telling me what I can and can’t do what I’m asking for help. I’m pretty sure I’m allowed to use any means necessary. You just got a call the game warden like 12 times to be friends.

The sad thing is my shoulders are never gonna get any better. You see what happened when I pulled the f***ing string back and it hit the safety that I punch myself in the face five times. And I remember that that crossbow will go right through my body armor..

By law I don’t think I actually even need permission but come on can’t we all just get along

I’m telling you I really don’t like the idea of them telling me what I can and can’t do what I’m asking for help. I’m pretty sure I’m allowed to use any means necessary. You just got a call the game warden like 12 times to be friends.

The sad thing is my shoulders are never gonna get any better. You see what happened when I pulled the f***ing string back and it hit the safety that I punch myself in the face five times. And I remember that that crossbow will go right through my body armor..

By law I don’t think I actually even need permission but come on can’t we all just get along

7BC834B3-95E4-4E9B-A0EB-37BA47D01CA9.gif

Back
Top Bottom