• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crossbreed leather conditioner?

blindndead

NES Member
Got my crossbreed holster in and it is now well broken in, I love this holster. I want to keep this thing nice, nice for a long time. What are you applying for leather conditioner? It is recommended to use a cream type product on the leather what do you got?

Good question had not thought of this, I guess I could look at their website to see what they recommend. HAHA but I got more pages to browse here :)

Got my crossbreed holster in and it is now well broken in, I love this holster. I want to keep this thing nice, nice for a long time. What are you applying for leather conditioner? It is recommended to use a cream type product on the leather what do you got?

I use mink oil. Picked up a small jar of it on amazon and apply occasionally

Mink Oil is a good water-proofer. Better yet is Horseman's One step. Holsters have a stiffness put in them when they are made. They are shaped wet and worked over to get these properties (tannins)activated. Once they are shaped they are usually low heat dried or left to dry naturally. This drying causes these chemical properties to get stiff and even harden to some extent. The one thing you dont want to do is let the holster get too damp from anything you put on it. If it gets too wet it will start to get soft and loose its shape.

Mink Oil is a good water-proofer. Better yet is Horseman's One step. Holsters have a stiffness put in them when they are made. They are shaped wet and worked over to get these properties (tannins)activated. Once they are shaped they are usually low heat dried or left to dry naturally. This drying causes these chemical properties to get stiff and even harden to some extent. The one thing you dont want to do is let the holster get too damp from anything you put on it. If it gets too wet it will start to get soft and loose its shape.

The holster on the Crossbreeds is kydex so no worry about it losing its shape from dampness although excessive heat could mess it up.
I have some leather lotion by Kiwi that I use and I have also used Mink oil. I use the mink oil on the rough back side and the leather lotion on the front/dyed side.
It may be listed on the Crossbreed site or you can email Mark and he will give his reccomendations.

I've used Ballistol on my Comp-Tac with good results. I even used it on some old dried up dog collars for my Mosin sling and they softened right up. If you buy the marketing, you can pretty much put that sh*t on everything.

Back
Top Bottom