• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crossing boarders with your firearm.

After recently going on vacation to Florida and feeling WEIRD without my firearm, I was told... " you know you can get an LTC in Florida and not have to leave your gun at home, right?" How true is this? I live in Massachusetts and although I have a non-resident NH ltc, if I wanted to go to Maine... can I still bring my firearm and leave it locked in a trunk? What CAN you do if you are visiting a near by state but don't have an LTC for that specific state? Can I apply for LTC in other states even if I live here (from here)?

I also meant BORDERS, LOL!

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can get a non resident permit or take the class at AFS for I believe is Ohio that includes 38 states or something...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Yes you can transport via commercial air. Check with individual carriers as policies might be different. Ammunition I believe is actually harder than firearms (locked case checked in as such). If I was doing it I would either buy ammo where I was going (out of state match) or ship it to myself if it was for my carry gun or I was using reloads at a match.

FOPA is what covers interstate transportation of firearms. If your firearms are legal at the point of origin and destination, you can transport between/through states, so long you follow the requirements set forth. Both NH and Maine are far less restrictive than MA also, so really, traveling to those states you have less requirements.

FOPA also applies to commercial air travel. Follow the specific airlines guidance. They list it on their site. I've traveled with firearms on flights multiple times without issue.

Last edited:
FOPA is what covers interstate transportation of firearms. If your firearms are legal at the point of origin and destination, you can transport between/through states, so long you follow the requirements set forth. Both NH and Maine are far less restrictive than MA also, so really, traveling to those states you have less requirements.

Not to mention you can open carry in NH without any license (P&R).

The gun laws for Maine...

You can do a LOT via open carry in the better states, without needing to get licenses.

Personally, you won't catch me in FL ever again. Just like you won't catch me [willingly] going anywhere near CA for any reason, or for any length of time (MAYBE for work, IF I'd lose my job if I don't go).

I live in Massachusetts and although I have a non-resident NH ltc, if I wanted to go to Maine... can I still bring my firearm and leave it locked in a trunk? What CAN you do if you are visiting a near by state but don't have an LTC for that specific state? Can I apply for LTC in other states even if I live here (from here)?

Thanks!

You can OPEN carry in Maine, no permit needed for that. Just can't conceled carry with no permit. Regarding Maine here's this snippet:
"CARRYING

It is unlawful to carry any firearm concealed about the person without having a concealed carrying permit. This includes carrying in an automobile glove compartment, or other area where the firearm is under the person's control. It is not unlawful to carry a firearm openly. State employees can lock firearms in their vehicle as long as the firearm is out of sight and the employee has a concealed carry permit...."

I got this from:
NRA-ILA | Maine

What do you guys know about transporting a firearm on a commercial airline? Is that even possible?

it's possible and many members here do it all the time. use the search function to see what people here say. you can also follow this link:
NRA-ILA | Airline Transportation of Firearms

You can OPEN carry in Maine, no permit needed for that. Just can't conceled carry with no permit. Regarding Maine here's this snippet:
"CARRYING

It is unlawful to carry any firearm concealed about the person without having a concealed carrying permit. This includes carrying in an automobile glove compartment, or other area where the firearm is under the person's control. It is not unlawful to carry a firearm openly. State employees can lock firearms in their vehicle as long as the firearm is out of sight and the employee has a concealed carry permit...."

I got this from:
NRA-ILA | Maine

it's possible and many members here do it all the time. use the search function to see what people here say. you can also follow this link:
NRA-ILA | Airline Transportation of Firearms

I don't like open-carry but I always thought you needed to be a resident to open-carry!? So, if I didn't have a non-resident NH LTC, and I was driving into Salem, NH... I can just put the shirt under my firearm and carry it openly, legally?? I did NOT know that!

I don't like open-carry but I always thought you needed to be a resident to open-carry!? So, if I didn't have a non-resident NH LTC, and I was driving into Salem, NH... I can just put the shirt under my firearm and carry it openly, legally?? I did NOT know that!

Not actually while in a vehicle. If a non res in NH and in a vehicle- the gun must be unloaded - mag removed or ammo taken out of a revolver.

That I am pretty sure of. Others will chime in if I am wrong on that.

Not actually while in a vehicle. If a non res in NH and in a vehicle- the gun must be unloaded - mag removed or ammo taken out of a revolver.

That I am pretty sure of. Others will chime in if I am wrong on that.

That's my understating. Without an NH P&R Permit, the firearm must be unloaded in a vehicle. If I am not mistaken, no requirements are set for whether it has to be visible or concealed. But open carry is permitted as long as you're 21? years old.
At least I hope that's the law - because those are the rules I follow...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That's my understating. Without an NH P&R Permit, the firearm must be unloaded in a vehicle. If I am not mistaken, no requirements are set for whether it has to be visible or concealed. But open carry is permitted as long as you're 21? years old.
At least I hope that's the law - because those are the rules I follow...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

in a vehicle, the firearm is "concealed" therefore you can't carry it without a P/R license. it must also be unloaded.

outside of a vehicle you can open carry a loaded firearm. nbd.

in your own home or place of business you can carry concealed without a permit.

Go to www.usacarry.com they have good resources on carry/travel issues. I travel regularly with my two favorite pistols M&P 45 and an M&P 9c. If you have pistols locked in a hard case out of the passenger compartment you are able to make what is called peaceable journey to your destination. However, you must be able to legally own the firearms in the state that you live in. Paperwork helps if you have it but it is no nessecary. It will help speed up the process if you are stopped as in a lot of states you must declare without delay that you have a fire arm in the vehicle.
I fly often with my pistols and just remember to keep them in a locked case in your CHECKED luggage. Also, allow more time to go through the luggage check in process. The check in process is not bad but the first time you do it you will not know what to expect. Allow plenty of time at the airport and always make sure to check the local laws of the city and state that you will be visiting.
For example I am in West Virginia on business and I flew from NJ to WV without inciden. Once in WV I am not able to concealed carry as I don't have a WV CCW. But I can carry openly as a non resident, non licensed individual.

Back
Top Bottom