Crow hunt!

I took my middle son and his new 20ga out Sunday morning. He took a few shots, but missed. He did do a great job at spotting solo flyers coming in. We were set up in the middle of a 40 acre field with my buddy Jeff. Lots of fun and I bagged 2.5 and Jeff, .5. The .5 was one sorry bird. After Jeff missed him it turned in towards us. We both fired 2 shots and it looked like the black bastard hit a brick wall. Jeff was using some #1 steel he wanted to burn and I was using #4,5,6 Extra long range high brass I've had since the 1960's. You could see that 2 pellets of #1 had hit him in the wing and ass, the rest were Mine. No Eyes, barely any feathers on its chest. It must have been looking strait at me. Great day. I guess we'll start hunting them locally. Around here some empty Micky D's bags would be great bait.

Good stuff. I'm waiting for my safety course certificate to come in this week. I meant to ask the instructor this but I'll just bring it up here. The abstract says no hunting on sundays yet it says you can hunt crow sat,sun, mon. Does the side note overide the top note?

I dunno. Crows clean the street of squirrel and possum corpses. I don't like hearing them but they do their job.

Good stuff. I'm waiting for my safety course certificate to come in this week. I meant to ask the instructor this but I'll just bring it up here. The abstract says no hunting on sundays yet it says you can hunt crow sat,sun, mon. Does the side note overide the top note?
no hunting on sunday period-- it sucks

crow season will be done apr 10 and will pick back up in june--

turkey season is coming though !![grin]

I remember hunting crow year round as a kid. It helped that we were surrounded by 100+ acres of farm land. The farmer also supplied us with a shotgun, ammo and paid us $0.25 for every bird we brought back. I don't think that would happen if I were a kid now.

I remember hunting crow year round as a kid. It helped that we were surrounded by 100+ acres of farm land. The farmer also supplied us with a shotgun, ammo and paid us $0.25 for every bird we brought back. I don't think that would happen if I were a kid now.

Yep, .25 a head in corn fields! Just west of Mass in NY when I was a kid. I supplied my rifle and ammo.
Ma**h***, Love the avatar!! I have a Mossberg 500a that seems to be an oddity. Mossberg sent me to an Expert. He states that at the time anyone could order what they wanted, including inards. All parkerized. My favorite shotgun, a 500a.
DSCF0001-2.jpg

I have no idea what Farmer Ray gave us aside from the fact the it was a single shot 20 gauge. To think only 15 years ago it was farmland and now it's all houses. [frown]

I have no idea what Farmer Ray gave us aside from the fact the it was a single shot 20 gauge. To think only 15 years ago it was farmland and now it's all houses. [frown]

Your Killing me< I could Break out the shotgun I used, some 1960's ammo And go back almost 30 years. Urban runoverer sucks.

Your Killing me< I could Break out the shotgun I used, some 1960's ammo And go back almost 30 years. Urban runoverer sucks.

I knew it would only be a matter of time before a Fudd would speak up![wink]

My point was that only a short while ago I was able to go outside and shoot in my yard. If I did that now, I know one of my neighbors would shit a brick! Funny story, one of my parents neighbors got my mail once by mistake. They came storming over to my parents house and demanded an explanation why I was part of the NRA. My mom smiled at the neighbor and shut the door in her face.

If you have a cornfield around here, though small compared to out west, they can still do damage. There are so friggin many of them.

Plus, have any of you had a crows nest in a tree in your back yard? It's one of the most annoying things in nature. Do I feel bad that I killed a family of them in my uncles back yard? Not at all. They are loud, VERY loud and caw all day and night. Did I feel bad and and cry myself to sleep that night? No. I actually had a nice quiet night and in the morning the dead birds were gone. I helped out nature.

I guess that I must be a mean horrible bird killer because I use pigeons to train my dog? I kill them, use them as a training aid, and leave their bodies to nature. They are always gone the next day.

Look at city pigeons. you can't even poison them anymore. They are terrible. Their crap is harmful to humans and they make HUGE messes. Too bad I can't shoot those types of pigeons because they are actually Rock Doves and you can't hunt doves in MA.

I don't feel bad killing Crows, Pigeons, or even those coyotes. I hope no one feels too bad about hunting coyote? They are 10 times worse than crows!

I Too bad I can't shoot those types of pigeons because they are actually Rock Doves and you can't hunt doves in MA.

You can shoot pigeons all day long. In mass we are not allowed to shoot morning doves but since the rock dove or pigeon is a pest from England it's wide open. My feeling if it's not supposed to be here it dies.

I used to whack crows. Have decoys, calls, etc... They get really smart after a few of their friends get killed so you need to setup at different locations all the time. Like most other birds, flight paths are almost the same.

When I worked for Agway years ago, we sold corn that was poisoned. Killed 'em good.
Shooting them would definitely be more fun.

So what's the verdict on pigeons. Can we legally hunt them or not? There are a few animals not in the abstract that I'd love to take out. Norway rats are one. Are pests considered legal to hunt year-round and what constitutes a "pest"?

If you have a cornfield around here, though small compared to out west, they can still do damage. There are so friggin many of them.

Plus, have any of you had a crows nest in a tree in your back yard? It's one of the most annoying things in nature. Do I feel bad that I killed a family of them in my uncles back yard? Not at all. They are loud, VERY loud and caw all day and night. Did I feel bad and and cry myself to sleep that night? No. I actually had a nice quiet night and in the morning the dead birds were gone. I helped out nature.

I guess that I must be a mean horrible bird killer because I use pigeons to train my dog? I kill them, use them as a training aid, and leave their bodies to nature. They are always gone the next day.

Look at city pigeons. you can't even poison them anymore. They are terrible. Their crap is harmful to humans and they make HUGE messes. Too bad I can't shoot those types of pigeons because they are actually Rock Doves and you can't hunt doves in MA.

I don't feel bad killing Crows, Pigeons, or even those coyotes. I hope no one feels too bad about hunting coyote? They are 10 times worse than crows!

So what's the verdict on pigeons. Can we legally hunt them or not? There are a few animals not in the abstract that I'd love to take out. Norway rats are one. Are pests considered legal to hunt year-round and what constitutes a "pest"?

The guy i hunt with has been popping pigeons for 40 years and no one has ever said a word to him. If there not in the abstract and not protected as a migratory bird or bird of prey, i say shoot man shoot.

Last summer, I called the Mass. Dept. of Fish & Game and asked them about shooting pigeons that I trapped in Lynn. They told me to call Mass. Environmental Police because they enforce laws. The DEP guy I spoke with told me that if I trap "pigeons" in Lynn, I am actually trapping a Rock Dove. If I shoot them while training my dog, I am shooting a dove, which is against the law. He said no one would probably bother me, but an officer may call me on it and I could lose my license. He said to train with homing pigeons to be safe.
e good thing is that the main reason I called was to see if I could train my dog and shoot pigeons-not Rock Doves-at Martin Burns in the Summer and he said absolutley. He said just notify the DEP. When I asked "What about the hikers and bikers and stuff" He said screw them, you guys pay hunting license fees and they don't. Because of you guys, we have this land. I though that was cool.

The guy i hunt with has been popping pigeons for 40 years and no one has ever said a word to him. If there not in the abstract and not protected as a migratory bird or bird of prey, i say shoot man shoot.

Last summer, I called the Mass. Dept. of Fish & Game and asked them about shooting pigeons that I trapped in Lynn. They told me to call Mass. Environmental Police because they enforce laws. The DEP guy I spoke with told me that if I trap "pigeons" in Lynn, I am actually trapping a Rock Dove. If I shoot them while training my dog, I am shooting a dove, which is against the law. He said no one would probably bother me, but an officer may call me on it and I could lose my license. He said to train with homing pigeons to be safe.
e good thing is that the main reason I called was to see if I could train my dog and shoot pigeons-not Rock Doves-at Martin Burns in the Summer and he said absolutley. He said just notify the DEP. When I asked "What about the hikers and bikers and stuff" He said screw them, you guys pay hunting license fees and they don't. Because of you guys, we have this land. I though that was cool.

Awesome, looks like i'll be training my dog there.

Back
Top Bottom