CRS Firearms Matthew Hoover arrested for selling auto keycards

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Arrested for the auto keycard, I guess. 8 counts of conspiracy, distributing, selling, and causing to be sold, flat cards with auto sears drawn on them. Like auto sears, bumpstocks, and apparently Rare Breed FRT-15 triggers, these flat metal cards that are not even firearms are considered machine guns by the ATF.

Last year they arrested the guy who made the cards.

Last edited:
He makes videos almost daily calling out the ATF
They are not going to let that fly
I do not think he actually sold them but he had them as a advertiser
I was always pretty mixed on his channel

Imagine going to jail or getting arrested for a picture

NFA regs define these parts as a machine gun. PSGWSP for this guy.
The cards are not "parts". They're cards. The ATF defines these cards as machine guns, per their interesting interpretation of the NFA:

§5845. Definitions​

(b) Machinegun​

The term "machinegun" means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
AutoKeyCards are flat metal cards with depictions of auto sears on them. "NFA regs" do not mention cards with images on them.

NFA regs define these parts as a machine gun. PSGWSP for this guy.

How is that item any different from, for example, a STEN MK3 tube with a printed template attached to it? Which is also just piece of metal with a drawing on it. And for sale by a few different companies (that don't get arrested for it). If I recall, there are even some sellers drawing assorted SMG tube gun temples directly onto the tube - also not in violation of any regulations.

The original ATF search warrant used the word "etched", while some articles say "printed".

I wonder if the ATF would classify a 0% block of aluminum with a drawing of the outline of an AR lower that had that third hole drawn on it as a machine gun
I suspect they might if the third hole was drilled, maybe even if it were merely dimpled with a punch.

How is that item any different from, for example, a STEN MK3 tube with a printed template attached to it? Which is also just piece of metal with a drawing on it. And for sale by a few different companies (that don't get arrested for it).
Apparently the AutoKeyCard has the outline cut a few microns into the metal.

He'd have gotten away with it if only he had sprung for a process which deposited the template on top (e.g. with screen printed ink) instead of cutting into the metal. Same reason the STEN folk attach a paper template instead of scribing the tube.

Regardless of how we all feel about this guy, he has a wife and kids and was the sole provider for them. These charges are BS, this guy is one of us and a pro 2A activist. We need to stand behind him. If they lose this case and the one for the auto keycard guy it sets the precedent of the ATF being able to call anything they want a machine gun or some other prohibited item to jam people up. This is no different than the fight on 80% receivers and the ATF changing definitions. They are persecuting these guys.

There is a gofundme set up to help his wife and kids and start his legal defense fund. Has been setup by the wife so it is legit, She did a livestream with John Crump.

They are going to try him in FL and he lives in WI so that is going to be really hard on his family.

View: https://youtu.be/EJMHrge7Zrc

I was store a year or two ago, and the fine gentleman who ran the business gave me a bottle opener along with my purchase for the day. Said bottle opener was a novelty trinket, fashioned to appear like an AR pattern safety selector. It has 3 pin holes. Am I in the possession of a machine gun? It does rapid fire open bottles...

Regardless of how we all feel about this guy, he has a wife and kids and was the sole provider for them. These charges are BS, this guy is one of us and a pro 2A activist. We need to stand behind him. If they lose this case and the one for the auto keycard guy it sets the precedent of the ATF being able to call anything they want a machine gun or some other prohibited item to jam people up. This is no different than the fight on 80% receivers and the ATF changing definitions. They are persecuting these guys.

There is a gofundme set up to help his wife and kids and start his legal defense fund. Has been setup by the wife so it is legit, She did a livestream with John Crump.

They are going to try him in FL and he lives in WI so that is going to be really hard on his family.

View: https://youtu.be/EJMHrge7Zrc

I just tossed some money on that gofundme. Almost 20k in a couple hours is pretty good
The good thing about him is I doubt he is going to plead out.
So if you want to set some possibly positive case law he is probably it.

I'm not smart enough to have an educated opinion on all this, but, after viewing the video, it looks like a pile of horseshit to me.
So you can be arrested for any chunk of metal you have with this outline drawn on it? Not even cut.
That's pretty lame.

I don’t like any of his video content but he doesn’t deserve any of this. i will continue to donate until he is acquitted. Please donate.

I was store a year or two ago, and the fine gentleman who ran the business gave me a bottle opener along with my purchase for the day. Said bottle opener was a novelty trinket, fashioned to appear like an AR pattern safety selector. It has 3 pin holes. Am I in the possession of a machine gun? It does rapid fire open bottles...
I’ll miss you and your dog…

I think I've seen those before. I don't believe that "any" of the holes are in correct position. Close, but off a bit.

I cant imagine the guy going to prison for this.

It's absurd.

I think this is what he wanted though.

Maybe he wanted to be get arrested just to become a cause celeb.

I wish the folks on Fox News would cover this so people know what is going on.

It reminds me of the 1990's when 2600 printed T-Shirts with the computer code to decode DVD's.

Some people like to push the envelope of what is legal.

As a result they go to jail but when they get out they are heroes.

This isn't a fight it is an execution. Federal prosecutors win like 98% of the cases that go to trial by judgement or plea. This guy is going to jail one way or the other.

His only hope is for someone high up to have them drop the charges.

Back
Top Bottom