• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cruz submits term limit amendment for Congress

what a f***ing buffoon. he could do it all 2 years ago. back then it could have been passed, theoretically. to submit it now is just a stupid theatrics, an act with no consequences.

This is a resubmission. His previous submission was in 2019 and it did not get passed. I haven't checked but I suspect it wasn't even close.

To be honest I don't think 6 years is long enough, but I think there should be term limits.

It's a catch 22, leave them in forever and you get career politicians. Don't let anyone stay long enough and you end up with 1. no oversight of unelected bureaucrats and 2. no continuity between congresses.

To be honest I don't think 6 years is long enough, but I think there should be term limits.

It's a catch 22, leave them in forever and you get career politicians. Don't let anyone stay long enough and you end up with 1. no oversight of unelected bureaucrats and 2. no continuity between congresses.
I'm ok with that.

The less congress is able to accomplish the better off we are.

Yeah I was thinking 8 years on Congress but I'd rather have them out than in for life

what a f***ing buffoon. he could do it all 2 years ago. back then it could have been passed, theoretically. to submit it now is just a stupid theatrics, an act with no consequences.
McChicken made it very clear that wasn’t happening while he was the majority leader in the Senate. Now he is not

I'm ok with that.

The less congress is able to accomplish the better off we are.
When career bureaucrats are running rampant with no accountability because they only have to outlast a max of 6 years of a thorn in their side, people will be questioning term limits. Needs to be more like 8-10 IMO.

I still think we need to make congress a part time job. Make em like NFL refs. Go home, work a real job that pays the bills, and show up a few times a year to handle business. And cut their f***ing salaries.

If only...

View attachment 441420

ETA: The median household income for a US household is $78,500. So our wonderful "leaders" make more than double your median household for a part-time job.
A lot more. Think of all the paid stuff they get.

For example in DC, do they have to pay for their apartments?

What about the flights back and forth from their States?

How many meals do they get to expense because "work" or maybe others pay for?

What about their health insurance, is it deducted from that pay?

Gym memberships?

Do they pay for their cars or do they get govt provided cars to drive around DC?

Those $174K are probably equivalent to something closer to $250K. That's without including all the insider trading and backdoor deals or taking into account their pension and other benefits elected officials have.

When career bureaucrats are running rampant with no accountability because they only have to outlast a max of 6 years of a thorn in their side, people will be questioning term limits. Needs to be more like 8-10 IMO.

I still think we need to make congress a part time job. Make em like NFL refs. Go home, work a real job that pays the bills, and show up a few times a year to handle business. And cut their f***ing salaries.
I agree.

I used to be all pro term limits. But term limits can have disadvantages. A politician is on his/her second term. What is stopping him/her from going full retard with unconstitutional laws?

My guess is the only thing that could stop them is turning people off from the party and costing the future D or R the seat. But, since when do politicians care about the next guy?

I am torn on this one. It is like there is no good middle ground.

Of course, this could be taken care of with a strong Supreme Court that was impartial. But we don't seem to have one of those.

I agree.

I used to be all pro term limits. But term limits can have disadvantages. A politician is on his/her second term. What is stopping him/her from going full retard with unconstitutional laws?

My guess is the only thing thst could stop them is turning people off from the party and costing the future D or R the seat. But, since when do politicians care about the next guy?

In the last term, they can't introduce new bills. Make a "lame duck act." Voting only.

If only...

View attachment 441420

ETA: The median household income for a US household is $78,500. So our wonderful "leaders" make more than double your median household for a part-time job.

this is not how most of them make money. Most of them become millionaires and NOT from their salary while in the office. Lobby jobs, access, consulting ... .gov has been a revolving door for corp jobs, just look at Google and how many execs go back and forth.

I'd rather see an amendment that .gov budget can't be higher than % of GDP and no unbalanced budgets. Cut off the money and the beast dies. (... or turns into an actual servant)

this is not how most of them make money. Most of them become millionaires and NOT from their salary while in the office. Lobby jobs, access, consulting ... .gov has been a revolving door for corp jobs, just look at Google and how many execs go back and forth.

I'd rather see an amendment that .gov budget can't be higher than % of GDP and no unbalanced budgets. Cut off the money and the beast dies. (... or turns into an actual servant)

this is my problem with Cruz, he speaks the right things, I agree with it, most sane people do, but it has no chance succeeding. It's like throwing snoballs at a TigerII ... I a applaud his boyish enthusiasm but I laugh at his naivete. We need real Gd damned leaders who can get the job done!

Amendment has a snowball's chance in hell of getting done

I'm gonna get flamed by the "I wants what I wants" contingent here, but GOOD!

Term limits were never part of the Constitution until the 1940's (50's?). Original founders didn't see a purpose in usurping the will of the people in the states. Hence, representative government.

Heck, we wouldn't have presidential term limits today if it wasn't for FDR. That toolbag decided he was better than Washington and ran a 3rd time. The point of a presidential term limit is to stop us from having a dictator. (Keep in mind that people were SHOCKED that Washington stepped down after 8 years - many fully expected the government to morph over the next several years into a monarchy with him as king.)

Term limits for Congress means the state of mASS has control over the decisions of the people of the state of Tennessee and vice versa.

Flame on! ;)

How about removing any and all financial incentives for being in politics. Everything on the table. Campaign finance, lobbying, legal insider trading etc...
How about opening up the books to each candidates family as well, that would shed light and hopefully eliminate the pass-thru gains that Joe got from Biden.
None of them are in it for the good of the country or moving things forward, they're all in it for the multiple profit streams.

I'm gonna get flamed by the "I wants what I wants" contingent here, but GOOD!

Term limits were never part of the Constitution until the 1940's (50's?). Original founders didn't see a purpose in usurping the will of the people in the states. Hence, representative government.

Heck, we wouldn't have presidential term limits today if it wasn't for FDR. That toolbag decided he was better than Washington and ran a 3rd time. The point of a presidential term limit is to stop us from having a dictator. (Keep in mind that people were SHOCKED that Washington stepped down after 8 years - many fully expected the government to morph over the next several years into a monarchy with him as king.)

Term limits for Congress means the state of mASS has control over the decisions of the people of the state of Tennessee and vice versa.

Flame on! ;)

The constitution is supposed to be able to be updated as its flaws and shortcomings (relative to the then-current society) make themselves known. And of course getting an amendment through is no small feat, for good reason.

I think we’ve had enough McCains, and Bidens, and Kennedys, and other scumbags with zero real world experience parking their ass at the trough of power for 40+ years.

I agree.

My guess is the only thing that could stop them is turning people off from the party and costing the future D or R the seat. But, since when do politicians care about the next guy?

Of course, this could be taken care of with a strong Supreme Court that was impartial. But we don't seem to have one of those.

Term limits aren't a problem if you have a good politician. Of course, this depends on your version of "good"...

The problem with a career politician is the unchecked accumulation of power. The longer they are in office, the more it becomes "their" office and the harder it is to get them out. It becomes "brand recognition" and they just dig in for decades.

It is easy to overturn an incumbent city council member, harder to do it to the mayor, Harder yet with a state rep, state senator, governor, House rep, or Senator. The higher you go, the more your name is known and that translates to people voting for the name they recognize even if they don't know why.

So introduce consecutive term limits. You can serve two consecutive terms then you have to take a term off before you run again.

This most likely eliminates some uncontested races. Every two terms the new guy has a shot since the universally known incumbent has to sit one out.
It will cut down on career politicians. They will still exist, probably two or three in rotation, but when they have to sit out a term they are more likely to be scrutinized when they run again.
It breaks using their power to cover up their dealings. When they are sitting out a term, they can't pull the plug on reports of their dealings while in office. This might affect their ability to run again.
It reduces leverage of the "senior" politicians over the "new guys".

Back
Top Bottom