Cruz submits term limit amendment for Congress

this is my problem with Cruz, he speaks the right things, I agree with it, most sane people do, but it has no chance succeeding. It's like throwing snoballs at a TigerII ... I a applaud his boyish enthusiasm but I laugh at his naivete. We need real Gd damned leaders who can get the job done!

Its not naivete. Its a calculated tactic designed to let people know that he sorta wants this, but will only submit when he knows it will go nowhere. He could have tried when he had a R house and R senate and R president, but he didn't. This is virtue signaling at its worst and most people will see right through it.

The constitution is supposed to be able to be updated as its flaws and shortcomings (relative to the then-current society) make themselves known. And of course getting an amendment through is no small feat, for good reason.

I think we’ve had enough McCains, and Bidens, and Kennedys, and other scumbags with zero real world experience parking their ass at the trough of power for 40+ years.

I don't disagree. I also believe in the law of unintended consequences. You aren't going to stop corruption or self-dealing or power. You're going to change it. Think about how a Senator might vote if he knows, "F it. In 9 years, I'm out either way. I don't care about the future!"

I think a lot of what the original framers did was very right. And this is one of them. We consistently hang our hats on this magic-bullet solution to our problems. And it creates massive consequences and the problems continue.

Its not naivete. Its a calculated tactic designed to let people know that he sorta wants this, but will only submit when he knows it will go nowhere. He could have tried when he had a R house and R senate and R president, but he didn't. This is virtue signaling at its worst and most people will see right through it.
When did we have 60 votes in the senate? I can't quite remember. Oh that's right we NEVER did.

It’s like uncle joe wearing an American flag pin. Just for show.
You write that like it's some piece of jewelry.
It's a specific design that lets the Secret Service realize
that he's not some senile old coot
that oughta be put back on the bus to the dog track.

Can't wait until he misplaces it...

what a f***ing buffoon. he could do it all 2 years ago. back then it could have been passed, theoretically. to submit it now is just a stupid theatrics, an act with no consequences.
Really, You need to brush up on your U. S. Constitution, This bill that he submitted is for an "Amendment" which means that after it goes through the U. S. Legislature it must go back to the states for ratification. Will this happen? No. I would like to think that what he is doing by submitting this, is to force a vote and then show everyone who it is that is screwing us.

To be honest I don't think 6 years is long enough, but I think there should be term limits.

It's a catch 22, leave them in forever and you get career politicians. Don't let anyone stay long enough and you end up with 1. no oversight of unelected bureaucrats and 2. no continuity between congresses.
It's long enough for them to earn a pension. And pensions can be as much as 80% of what they were earning. Wouldn't that be nice for the rest of us.

I'd rather see lobbying outlawed. You take away that funding source and being a politician becomes far less attractive to these scumbags.

I'd rather see lobbying outlawed. You take away that funding source and being a politician becomes far less attractive to these scumbags.

I agree. We should elect our Congresscritters and then lock them away in the Capitol for 2-6 years. They cannot come out and cannot interact with anyone. No email. No phones. Nothing. Outlaw it all.

Because where do you draw the line??? You go to see your Congresshuman and donate to their campaign. Lobbying?? You and I go together. Loybbing?? A dozen of us on NES do it together. Lobbying????

Everyone wants to give lobbying a bad name like they give GMO a bad name or red meat. Yet no one really KNOWS how or why it's bad. Just that it's bad. "they give them money." Actually, that's illegal.

Long gone are the days of lobbyist funded trips and lavish gifts. I also wonder if things were more or less corrupt back then. LOL

I agree. We should elect our Congresscritters and then lock them away in the Capitol for 2-6 years. They cannot come out and cannot interact with anyone. No email. No phones. Nothing. Outlaw it all.

Because where do you draw the line??? You go to see your Congresshuman and donate to their campaign. Lobbying?? You and I go together. Loybbing?? A dozen of us on NES do it together. Lobbying????

Everyone wants to give lobbying a bad name like they give GMO a bad name or red meat. Yet no one really KNOWS how or why it's bad. Just that it's bad. "they give them money." Actually, that's illegal.

Long gone are the days of lobbyist funded trips and lavish gifts. I also wonder if things were more or less corrupt back then. LOL

How much legislation is written by congress? I'll tell you....0! Literally none since 1996. All written by lobbying firms that produce the legislation and then the bargaining begins.

It's long enough for them to earn a pension. And pensions can be as much as 80% of what they were earning. Wouldn't that be nice for the rest of us.

As much as I hate using wikipedia, it's probably closer to reality to thinking they get 80% after only 5 or 6 years. The only federal retirement available now is FERS, it's 1% per year for most people and caps naturally due to age. Some of the longer served members might still be under CSRS (Clearly Superior Retirement System) and they can get pretty high up percentage wise. There is no way to get to 80% of your base pay under FERS unless you live to be over 100 and still work.

It's all there. If you're bored enough to read it. Just be sure to separate the CSRS from the FERS. Because some people are still under CSRS they have the information in there.

Don't forget kickbacks.
We don't really think that a good part of that 25 million grant to Pakistan for gender studies isn't already in someone's offshore account ?
Obama's net worth before entering office was 1.4 million dollars.
It's now around 30 million.
Pretty good for holding a job that paid 400 thousand a year.

Effing scary, and somewhat liberating, to see congressmen and senators who are afraid of the absolute power that is coming to be within our government.

Back
Top Bottom