• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT governor wants "grandfather clause" eliminated and existing "assault weapons" confiscated

Yes, because every cop out there "knows" they can get away with targeting people based on race...
It’s not every cop and I don’t think he was implying that. But it also isn’t every cop who would make up a bullshit line about my license plate being obscured by my plate surround and then spend 15 minutes questioning me trying to find justification for a search. I think most cops try to do the right thing, but there are some who will make up shit and break the rules.

I’ve been stopped on a number of occasions, almost always justifiably and most often the cop cut me a break (probably because I didn’t behave like a Richard). This was only the second time in 40+ years of driving that I’ve been stopped when I did nothing wrong. The first time was in NY State when a trooper going the other way pulled a u-turn and stopped me. He walked up to my window, checked my inspection sticker, and said “sorry, I thought your inspection sticker was expired” and let me go without checking my drivers license or registration — he had clearly made a mistake and had no justification for the stop so he ended it Immediately.

In this case, though, it was clearly a pretext stop. He was absolutely abusing his authority, which makes it stand out so much. I suspect the trooper would not have been as polite if I was young and a minority. I realize that I have no proof of that. But when you think that the trooper spent 15 minutes on the side of the road even though I did not fit any profile, think about what he would be willing to do if you did fit the profile.

Last edited:
This is what you call "damned if you do and damned if you don't"!

Here are your choices:

1) Register your MSR and wait for the confiscation police to come and take it away from you, or,
2) Don't register your MSR and open yourself up to instant confiscation with added Felon/PP status.

Great choices, eh? :mad:
Choice #3. Move!

Yup. And if you have a post ban large cap magazine in the car, then you are well and truly effed.

Edited to add: I've mentioned this previously on the forum. Some years back I was driving back to MA from Denver, through Kansas on I-70. I had a radar detector and Waze. Both alerted me to a cop ahead, so I slowed to exactly the speed limit. I was driving my 200 Series Land Cruiser. The Kansas Highway Patrol cruiser pulled out of the median, paced me, and pulled me over.

The trooper told me that he pulled me over because my license plate surround obscured the plate. Which was baloney -- that was a pretext for a fishing expedition. He was bored, saw an out of state plate, and was assuming that I was smuggling the devil's lettuce out of CO. He spent the next 15 minutes asking me questions and chatting. I was polite and played the game. He eventually decided that he could find no justification for searching my vehicle and let me go.

If I wasn't a 60-year-old, clean cut white guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he would have fabricated probable cause for a search.
I notice a lot of people with bike racks and racks for those electric mobility scooters on the back of their SUVs. I recently helped an elderly lady with an injured leg remove her scooter from the rack on her minivan. When mounted with a bike or scooter, many of them do block the plate; some partially and some almost completely. If you mount them in the front, you obstruct driver's view of the road as well as the front plate.

Who says anything about 'every cop'? Can you guarantee every cop you encounter will treat you with respect? Can you guarantee when you leave the house, you won't encounter a violent criminal? Isn't that why we carry?
But your comment was blatantly racist and you didn't qualify it as certain cops just cops in general...
Lucky to be a 60 year old clean cut white guy. As a black guy in my late 30s, the choice is either step aside and let the cop search my car or wait for the K9 to scuff up my clear coat as the K9 cop puts his finger all over wherever he wants the dog to 'alert', then search my car. Just gotta drive like a grandma around some parts and don't make any eye contact with a parked cop.

Maybe your issue isn't your skin color but attitude and presentation...

Bolded - Agree, when I didn't abide by this I found myself on the wrong side of quite a few fishing expeditions. It wasn't the color of my skin that got me into or out of the issue, it was my car, my attire and my actions.

I recently attended a MA gun law class given by Jon Green at GOAL. He said they've been contacted by over 100 people who have been charged with possession of post-ban large capacity magazines. Many of those charges were not in conjunction with other charges. Most of them were discovered pursuant to traffic stops.

Over 100 have contacted GOAL. I've known Jon Green for many years. He isn't lying.
I was thinking about this claim last night. My question: Why aren't we reading about these MA AWB "busts" at least weekly in the leftist press? If they are happening so often, why isn't the Boston Globe DimocRAT exploiting them? I can only remember a small handful and I thought I was paying attention... and all the ones I remember involved other serious crimes. :oops:

I'd really like to know more about Jon's claim. How many of these 100 folks had valid MA LTC's? How many of them were prosecuted? How many were charged with other crimes at the same time? Can we possibly get Jon to break it down for us? 🤔

I was thinking about this claim last night. My question: Why aren't we reading about these MA AWB "busts" at least weekly in the leftist press? If they are happening so often, why isn't the Boston Globe DimocRAT exploiting them? I can only remember a small handful and I thought I was paying attention... and all the ones I remember involved other serious crimes. :oops:

I'd really like to know more about Jon's claim. How many of these 100 folks had valid MA LTC's? How many of them were prosecuted? How many were charged with other crimes at the same time? Can we possibly get Jon to break it down for us? 🤔

I'm curious too.

I'd imagine almost none of them was prosecuted to trial. I suspect most were either dismissed or pled down.

100 arrests sounds like a lot, but over a couple decades? Maybe not, especially if none or few of them have led to convictions.

Lucky to be a 60 year old clean cut white guy. As a black guy in my late 30s, the choice is either step aside and let the cop search my car or wait for the K9 to scuff up my clear coat as the K9 cop puts his finger all over wherever he wants the dog to 'alert', then search my car. Just gotta drive like a grandma around some parts and don't make any eye contact with a parked cop.
Being in my position, I have seen many instances where I cannot conclusively say race was a factor, but I cannot conclusively say it wasn’t. What was a factor is the officer’s lack of respect for the public’s rights.

I'll let you call up Jon and ask him. It was my impression that most or all had a valid MA LTC, they were being prosecuted (which is why they called up GOAL), and most were not charged with other crimes. You didn't read about it in the Globe because these were average folks jammed up on a single charge -- nothing newsworthy like a murder suspect captured who was also illegally carrying a gun and had a post-ban large capacity magazine.

It seems like many folks are whistling past the graveyard on this. Basically folks are thinking "I'm a law-abiding citizen, so I'm not going to get jammed up on this. Only bad guys get jammed up on this." That's simply not true.

Last edited:
But your comment was blatantly racist and you didn't qualify it as certain cops just cops in general...

Maybe your issue isn't your skin color but attitude and presentation...

Bolded - Agree, when I didn't abide by this I found myself on the wrong side of quite a few fishing expeditions. It wasn't the color of my skin that got me into or out of the issue, it was my car, my attire and my actions.
Whoooooooaa buddy. Personal accountability and acting civil in public spaces is top tier white supremacy.
Please repent, youre welcome

As a black guy in my late 30s, the choice is either step aside and let the cop search my car or wait for the K9 to scuff up my clear coat as the K9 cop puts his finger all over wherever he wants the dog to 'alert', then search my car. Just gotta drive like a grandma around some parts and don't make any eye contact with a parked cop.
Your experience sounds exactly like mine as a clean cut white guy in my 20s. Multiple times pulled over within 5 mph of the speed limit. Told I “looked nervous” as a fishing attempt to gain probable cause for a search. Multiple times had my car gone through and shit left everywhere for me to put it all back where it belongs on the side of the road while the good old boys moved onto their next abuse of authority.

Nope but it certainly helps to not draw attention to yourself

Your experience sounds exactly like mine as a clean cut white guy in my 20s. Multiple times pulled over within 5 mph of the speed limit. Told I “looked nervous” as a fishing attempt to gain probable cause for a search. Multiple times had my car gone through and shit left everywhere for me to put it all back where it belongs on the side of the road while the good old boys moved onto their next abuse of authority.
Right here^

Drawing attention to yourself isn't always a choice that you have made. When an officer "has their Spidy sense tingling" (don't ask), there is little that you can do to dispel their suspicions. Just hope they have bodycam and aren't covering it/muting it (or not even turning it on until after the encounter is over).

I'll let you call up Jon and ask him. It was my impression that most or all had a valid MA LTC, they were being prosecuted (which is why they called up GOAL), and most were not charged with other crimes. You didn't read about it in the Globe because these were average folks jammed up on a single charge -- nothing newsworthy like a murder suspect captured who was also illegally carrying a gun and had a post-ban large capacity magazine.

It seems like many folks are whistling past the graveyard on this. Basically folks are thinking "I'm a law-abiding citizen, so I'm not going to get jammed up on this. Only bad guys get jammed up on this." That's simply not true.
I may do just that. Something is a little fishy here. I base that on knowing the leftist Boston Globe DimocRAT rag and how much they would love to jam up actual MA LTC holders (100 of them!) for violation of the MA AWB. 🤔

For the record, I have no personal concern on this as I have never carried a pistol that held more than 10+1 rounds. It has nothing to do with the MA AWB. It has everything to do with the physical size of what I prefer to carry. :cool:

100 arrests sounds like a lot, but over a couple decades? Maybe not, especially if none or few of them have led to convictions.
If that's 100 calls spread over 20 years (about how long Jon has been there I think), I suppose it's possible. Five calls per year? Yep, certainly possible. 🤔

I may do just that. Something is a little fishy here. I base that on knowing the leftist Boston Globe DimocRAT rag and how much they would love to jam up actual MA LTC holders (100 of them!) for violation of the MA AWB. 🤔
I disagree with you. It’s just not news. An uneventful arrest of Mr. Smith on a charge for a post-ban large capacity magazine pursuant to a traffic stop isn’t going to get a reporter to head to a police station for details. It’s not worth their time because it won’t generate clicks.

An arrest of three felons after a car chase that resulted in a crash, seized drugs and guns? Yeah, that’s different.

The news media motto “if it bleeds, it leads” isn’t recent.

A lot of people get charged with things but that doesn't necessarily mean they actually go to full trial or get convicted. A lot of stuff gets cwofed out etc.

The news is very poor about picking up on low level gun arrests that don't involve anything "exciting". A guy getting rapped on a 209a or safe storage violation almost doesn't make the news even though that stuff is extremely common.

For the record, I have no personal concern on this as I have never carried a pistol that held more than 10+1 rounds. It has nothing to do with the MA AWB. It has everything to do with the physical size of what I prefer to carry. :cool:

My G43X carries 15+1 in a very concealable form.

A lot of people get charged with things but that doesn't necessarily mean they actually go to full trial or get convicted. A lot of stuff gets cwofed out etc.

The news is very poor about picking up on low level gun arrests that don't involve anything "exciting". A guy getting rapped on a 209a or safe storage violation almost doesn't make the news even though that stuff is extremely common.
I agree and I hope each and every one of these folks beats the bogus charges. They will still be out thousands in legal fees, court costs, bail, etc. The arrest might also cost them their job if word gets back to their employer. Then, of course, at renewal time they have to disclose the arrest. After Bruen, licensing authorities will focus on "suitability" more than ever. Which will mean another court battle and more legal expenses to fight the LTC renewal denial in court. Even if they win they still lose. Damn this state!

When I first joined, I thought there would be way more participation from VT, ME, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA and even Quebec and Nova Scotia.

Nope. LOL.
There's a thread someplace around here started by, iirc, a Canadian gal with "big guns" of which she shared many photos in a "hi, I'm so and so" thread, just barely covered enough to not get moderated.

I suspect she was looking for subscribers or sugar daddies, though I think it was before Only Fans became so wildly popular.

There's a thread someplace around here started by, iirc, a Canadian gal with "big guns" of which she shared many photos in a "hi, I'm so and so" thread, just barely covered enough to not get moderated.

I suspect she was looking for subscribers or sugar daddies, though I think it was before Only Fans became so wildly popular.

I'll wait for Zappa to link or bump it.

I get what you're saying. The Boston Globe DimocRAT can't cover everything. But that woman who came up with a spotlight story on The Mill... you'd think she'd be interested. I would be if I were her. Could earn her another Pulitzer! [laugh]

Close enough:
Doesn't say what "firearms charges"... but do you want to do some betting? I'll bet that none of them had licenses... and that the gun(s) was/were stolen... and that they'll be back on the mean streets of Worcester within hours (if not already) with brand new stolen guns. That's how that works just about every time. [thumbsup]

I disagree with you. It’s just not news. An uneventful arrest of Mr. Smith on a charge for a post-ban large capacity magazine pursuant to a traffic stop isn’t going to get a reporter to head to a police station for details. It’s not worth th

An arrest of three felons after a car chase that resulted in a crash, seized drugs and guns? Yeah, that’s different.

The news media motto “if it bleeds, it leads” isn’t recent.
I understand. I'm not talking about one lonely LTC holder making a stupid mistake and that making the Boston Globe DimocRAT spotlight team report. I'm talking about the 100 AWB super-killy magazine violations by otherwise supposedly law-abiding MA LTC holders making the Boston Globe DimocRAT spotlight team report (see the difference? see how it works?). The liberal anti-2A crowd would eat it up like free candy! [laugh]

Another Pulitzer prize for sure... if only it were true or even close to true. :(

I get what you're saying. The Boston Globe DimocRAT can't cover everything. But that woman who came up with a spotlight story on The Mill... you'd think she'd be interested. I would be if I were her. Could earn her another Pulitzer! [laugh]

That's not really a story though. Do you really think the GLOB would publish a story discussing people being arrested for a paper gun crime that shouldn't eixst? doesn't fit with their agenda. That's not something you can "deke-around and spin" on.

Last edited:
That's not really a story though. Do you really think the GLOB would publish a story discussing people being arrested for a paper gun crime that shouldn't exist? doesn't fit with their
agenda. That's not something you can "deke-around and spin" on.
Methinks you under-estimate the Boston Globe DimocRAT lefties and their disdain and hatred of gunowners. Didn't I just read in another thread that the Globe lady who earned a raise and promotion doing the Mill hit piece is out looking for another raise and promotion for another anti-2A hit piece? :mad:

Anyway, I understand your point (and M1911's point). One person's mistake is not sufficient for an entire Globe spotlight team report. On that much we can agree. :)

I understand. I'm not talking about one lonely LTC holder making a stupid mistake and that making the Boston Globe DimocRAT spotlight team report. I'm talking about the 100 AWB super-killy magazine violations by otherwise supposedly law-abiding MA LTC holders making the Boston Globe DimocRAT spotlight team report (see the difference? see how it works?). The liberal anti-2A crowd would eat it up like free candy! [laugh]

Another Pulitzer prize for sure... if only it were true or even close to true. :(
Sorry, but that’s not a story. The arrests happen one at a time. The arrests weren’t newsworthy. The fact that there have been 100+ of them also isn’t newsworthy. If it was newsworthy, then there would have been an article about it.

As I said previously, if it bleeds, it leads. There’s no blood or other drama in these arrests, so it’s not news.

Your judgment on this is clouded by your assumptions. Reporters aren’t driven by an anti-2a agenda. They are driven by the need to get clicks.

I’ve been stopped on a number of occasions, almost always justifiably and most often the cop cut me a break (probably because I didn’t behave like a Richard). This was only the second time in 40+ years of driving that I’ve been stopped when I did nothing wrong. The first time was in NY State when a trooper going the other way pulled a u-turn and stopped me. He walked up to my window, checked my inspection sticker, and said “sorry, I thought your inspection sticker was expired” and let me go without checking my drivers license or registration — he had clearly made a mistake and had no justification for the stop so he ended it Immediately.

In this case, though, it was clearly a pretext stop. He was absolutely abusing his authority, which makes it stand out so much. I suspect the trooper would not have been as polite if I was young and a minority. I realize that I have no proof of that. But when you think that the trooper spent 15 minutes on the side of the road even though I did not fit any profile, think about what he would be willing to do if you did fit the profile.

NYSP are infamously the largest dickheads around. I went to college in Erie, PA, and the NY border was literally 5 miles away, so it was common to go into NY for things. I've literally witnessed six or eight cruisers pulled up in the median at the state line, and one peel off as we went past. That f***er paced us in the fast lane, and actually pointed a radar gun at us, as it it would work that way.

They were infamous for pulling over college kids with out of state plates.

They can all f*** right the hell off.

Back
Top Bottom