CT Rifle Purchase by a Non-resident

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Can a Non-resident purchase a rifle in Connecticut?

I know it has to be at an FFL but I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a state law that prohibits the transaction.

Does having a Connecticut permit make a difference?

Thanks,

Bob

My experience is several years ago--don't know if it has changed since. The answer is yes. I purchased rifles from a couple of shops in CT when I was in MA. Back then, I was told that having the non-res permit allowed me to avoid a waiting period. Looking at portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/Firearms, it looks like it is required simce 2014. And you are supposed to fill out a FA10 withing 7 days of bringing it back to MA.

My experience is several years ago--don't know if it has changed since. The answer is yes. I purchased rifles from a couple of shops in CT when I was in MA. Back then, I was told that having the non-res permit allowed me to avoid a waiting period. Looking at portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/Firearms, it looks like it is required simce 2014. And you are supposed to fill out a FA10 withing 7 days of bringing it back to MA.

Thank you,

Bob

Rifles and Shotguns
Effective April 1, 2014, per CGS Sec. 29-37a(c), no person may purchase or receive any long gun unless such person holds a valid long gun eligibility certificate issued pursuant to section 29-37p, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection 9 (b) of section 29-28, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (2) of section 29-28 or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to section 29-36f.

No such sale, delivery or other transfer of any long gun shall be made until the person, firm or corporation making such sale, delivery or transfer has insured that such application has been completed properly and has obtained an authorization number from the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection for such sale, delivery or transfer. This sale authorization number can be obtained by calling (860) 685-8400 or by calling Toll Free (888) 335-8438. In addition to the above, the seller may not sell to anyone under 18 years of age, or to anyone the seller knows is prohibited from possessing firearms.

Source: Firearms

So - Federal law says that you can purchase a longarm in a state that you don't reside in, as long as the longarm is legal for you to posses in your home state. But CT won't sell you a firearm unless you have a CT permit. I'm pretty sure MA does the same thing.

The good news for anyone who wants to purchase or carry firearms in CT is that a CT non-resident permit is pretty easy to get. You have to jump through some hoops - there's a mandatory class requirement for example - but CT is still a WILL ISSUE state. They WILL ISSUE you a permit unless they have "valid" reason not to. And unlike MA, valid reason isn't the local COP saying "i don't like this guy". Furthermore, CT doesn't have "A", "B" or any other classes of carry permits. CT issues an ammo permit, a longarms permit and a pistol permit, (plus one other that I always forget - relics??).

Like MA, you can't even purchase ammo in CT without a permit. The ammo permit lets you buy ammo, the longarms permit lets you buy ammo and longarms. The pistol permit lets you buy ammo, longarms, pistols - and carry pistols.

CT is by law an open carry state.

And right now CT has a huge, gaping hole in their Assault Weapons ban - "others" are legal to buy and own - and a lot of gun stores in CT are selling them.

Rifles and Shotguns
Effective April 1, 2014, per CGS Sec. 29-37a(c), no person may purchase or receive any long gun unless such person holds a valid long gun eligibility certificate issued pursuant to section 29-37p, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection 9 (b) of section 29-28, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (2) of section 29-28 or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to section 29-36f.

No such sale, delivery or other transfer of any long gun shall be made until the person, firm or corporation making such sale, delivery or transfer has insured that such application has been completed properly and has obtained an authorization number from the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection for such sale, delivery or transfer. This sale authorization number can be obtained by calling (860) 685-8400 or by calling Toll Free (888) 335-8438. In addition to the above, the seller may not sell to anyone under 18 years of age, or to anyone the seller knows is prohibited from possessing firearms.

Source: Firearms

So - Federal law says that you can purchase a longarm in a state that you don't reside in, as long as the longarm is legal for you to posses in your home state. But CT won't sell you a firearm unless you have a CT permit. I'm pretty sure MA does the same thing.

The good news for anyone who wants to purchase or carry firearms in CT is that a CT non-resident permit is pretty easy to get. You have to jump through some hoops - there's a mandatory class requirement for example - but CT is still a WILL ISSUE state. They WILL ISSUE you a permit unless they have "valid" reason not to. And unlike MA, valid reason isn't the local COP saying "i don't like this guy". Furthermore, CT doesn't have "A", "B" or any other classes of carry permits. CT issues an ammo permit, a longarms permit and a pistol permit, (plus one other that I always forget - relics??).

Like MA, you can't even purchase ammo in CT without a permit. The ammo permit lets you buy ammo, the longarms permit lets you buy ammo and longarms. The pistol permit lets you buy ammo, longarms, pistols - and carry pistols.

CT is by law an open carry state.

And right now CT has a huge, gaping hole in their Assault Weapons ban - "others" are legal to buy and own - and a lot of gun stores in CT are selling them.

Thank you for the response and cites.

Bob

While the legal issue wrt the OPs original question is clearly settled. Here are some other ideas/thoughts.

You should check around to find a dealer that will do it. Or at least confirm your preferred will do it before you and the seller get together. Many dealers are either ignorant or want to err on the side of caution.

If that doesn't work. Another option is to have the seller meet you in CT and you can either drive together or he can hand the gun to you and you two drive separately to a MA dealer. (no license is required for anyone to possess a long gun in CT). Or if the seller is willing to accept minimal risk, he can just drive to a MA FFL and you can do the transfer there.

Or seller can mail it to a MA FFL. He can use USPS for a long gun.

Just trying to give some more options you may not have thought of.

While the legal issue wrt the OPs original question is clearly settled. Here are some other ideas/thoughts.

You should check around to find a dealer that will do it. Or at least confirm your preferred will do it before you and the seller get together. Many dealers are either ignorant or want to err on the side of caution.

If that doesn't work. Another option is to have the seller meet you in CT and you can either drive together or he can hand the gun to you and you two drive separately to a MA dealer. (no license is required for anyone to possess a long gun in CT). Or if the seller is willing to accept minimal risk, he can just drive to a MA FFL and you can do the transfer there.

Or seller can mail it to a MA FFL. He can use USPS for a long gun.

Just trying to give some more options you may not have thought of.

Great ideas.
Thank you as always for your insight.

Bob

You can only buy Long guns if you have a none resident permit? you can't buy handguns ?

Federal law; you can only buy handguns in your state of residence. Or buy them elsewhere, have them shipped to an FFL in your state of residence and have him transfer (or not) to you.

Thanks for the reply

You're welcome.

As for purchasing long guns; you can buy them out of state as long as it's legal for you to own them in your state of residence. Again, that's federal law.

Individual states may have laws that may interfere. For example, my state of residence is GA. I can buy an AR-15 with standard capacity magazines from an FFL with a 4473, (or in a private sale with no paperwork), here in GA. I cannot buy that same AR-15/magazine in CA, CT, MA, MD, RI, NY, NJ or IL, (probably other states too), because it's illegal under those states' laws to sell that firearm - even though it's legal for me as a GA resident to purchase it.

Can an ‘03 C&R holder (who resides in Mass) drive to CT and buy a C&R item from an individual? How about a book-to-book transfer from CT FFL to Mass ‘03 holder?

It depends on the firearm.

Lets go over the applicable laws.

Fed
You should be good to go. If its a C&R and you are an 03 no issues.
Len - can you weigh in here??

CT
Pre 1899 - you are ok. (I tried to find the statute with a saved link but they moved it. If you ARE looking to transfer a pre-1899 C&R I'll find it)

Post 1899 - Its a firearm per CT law. The state of CT doesn't recognize an 03 FFL since all relevant statutes use the terms "dealer" and "manufacturer".
So you would need to comply with CT laws in the course of this transfer.

There isn't any law in CT prohibiting the sale of a firearm to an out-of stater. But the law does require that you posses a CT pistol permit or Rifle certificate in order to receive that item. So if you have a non-resident PP you SHOULD be ok. Either way, you will need to call the state for an approval number to complete the sale.

So I would call them to confirm that they will approve a transfer to a non-resident on a non-resident PP or Rifle certificate. (Even if there is no law prohibiting this, if they won't give you an approval number it doesn't really matter)

CT DESPP Approval number is 860-685-8400

Now we are getting into Len's area of knowledge.

But I suspect that you don't have a CT PP or rifle certificate.

in that case, the best thing may be for the seller to just ship the rifle to MA.

Len - can the seller ship directly to the buyer with an 03 FFL??

Right. I have no plans to buy anything. But, wanted to be prepared if the situation arose. It sounds like it’s easiest to ship to Mass. Should be able to send it through the mail direct, rather then going to a local FFL then to a C&R?

The seller can always ship direct without going through a FFL on his end.

I honestly don't know about how MA treats 03 FFL holders when receiving a C&R firearm.

But now we are talking MA law - I'm sure Len knows.

It depends on the firearm.

Lets go over the applicable laws.

Fed
You should be good to go. If its a C&R and you are an 03 no issues.
Len - can you weigh in here??

CT
Pre 1899 - you are ok. (I tried to find the statute with a saved link but they moved it. If you ARE looking to transfer a pre-1899 C&R I'll find it)

Post 1899 - Its a firearm per CT law. The state of CT doesn't recognize an 03 FFL since all relevant statutes use the terms "dealer" and "manufacturer".
So you would need to comply with CT laws in the course of this transfer.

There isn't any law in CT prohibiting the sale of a firearm to an out-of stater. But the law does require that you posses a CT pistol permit or Rifle certificate in order to receive that item. So if you have a non-resident PP you SHOULD be ok. Either way, you will need to call the state for an approval number to complete the sale.

So I would call them to confirm that they will approve a transfer to a non-resident on a non-resident PP or Rifle certificate. (Even if there is no law prohibiting this, if they won't give you an approval number it doesn't really matter)

CT DESPP Approval number is 860-685-8400
Pre-1899 is an antique and no FFLs are required. No idea how CT treats it however.

MA doesn't really recognize the C&R 03 FFL, but Fed law allows you to obtain a C&R eligible gun from anyone if you possess an 03 FFL. MA doesn't address it, but suppose that the seller would have to be a non-MA person if they didn't have a Resident LTC or you'd have to go thru a MA Dealer FFL if the transaction took place in MA.
Now we are getting into Len's area of knowledge.

But I suspect that you don't have a CT PP or rifle certificate.

in that case, the best thing may be for the seller to just ship the rifle to MA.

Len - can the seller ship directly to the buyer with an 03 FFL??
A seller can ship a C&R gun directly to a buyer with an 03 FFL. But can't use the USPO if it is a handgun. 03 FFL must follow the regs wrt providing the 03 FFL to the seller and enter it with ID of seller in the bound book just like a dealer would have to do.

Again, no idea what CT allows one to do in these cases.

A seller can ship a C&R gun directly to a buyer with an 03 FFL. But can't use the USPO if it is a handgun. 03 FFL must follow the regs wrt providing the 03 FFL to the seller and enter it with ID of seller in the bound book just like a dealer would have to do.

Again, no idea what CT allows one to do in these cases.
CT doesn't (and can't) control who you ship a gun to if its in another state.

So it sounds like if the seller is in CT, they could ship it to a MA buyer. Provided they eFA10'd it after receipt (registration, not a transfer) and made the appropriate entries into their A&D book

P.S. Funny how we law-abiding citizens will spend days debating the finer points of 2A law. When there are literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of gangsters in Holyoke, Chicopee, Springfield, Lowell, Lawrence, Hartford, New Britain, New Haven etc who couldn’t care less. Shows the futility of so many laws, not just 2A. Or as they say: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Back
Top Bottom