• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT Storage law for ammo, primers, powder?

Is there any law stating how a person must store ammo, primers, or powder? How about a law stating how many rounds, primers, or pounds of powder can be owned?

I've searched the forum and it seems RI has a limit on powder and MA has a limit on everything, including walking while chewing bubblegum.

IANAL, but...

Explosives are addressed in CT c.541

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/chap541.htm#TOC

It appears gunpowder is limited to 50lbs. (without a permit), and no limit for small arms ammunition and reloading components.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/chap541.htm#Sec29-350.htm

Sec. 29-350. (Formerly Sec. 29-89a). Exceptions. No provision of section 29-343, 29-345, 29-348, 29-349 or 29-355 shall apply to small arms ammunition or components thereof, or to gun powder in quantities of not more than fifty pounds in any one place, or to any materials for hand loading, reloading or custom loading small arms ammunition for hunting or other sporting purposes; and any person, firm or corporation, which has obtained and is the holder of either (1) a valid license as an importer, manufacturer, or dealer, or (2) a valid user permit, under the provisions of the federal organized Crime Control Act of 1970, Public Law 91-452, or any law amendatory thereof, shall be entitled to the issuance of a permit and license under said sections; provided blasters, detonators or users of high explosives shall obtain a license of technical qualification under subsection (b) of section 29-349.

Awesome! Thank you very much for that. I was looking everywhere, using the search terms: primers, powder, smokeless powder, ammunition.

50 pounds. That might limit me in the future. Although I don't know what "in any one place" means.

The common meaning of "in anyone place" means any one location, IE your property at a single address. So you would not want to keep 50 lbs in your basement, and 50 lbs in your garage etc... I would think if you owned to properties in different areas you could keep 50 lbs at each one.

Thanks for that. So if I order in bulk, I'll have it delivered to a friend's house who has no powder so that we can both remain under 50 pounds.

they address ammunition but No mention of powder or primer regulations.
You answered your own question.

Remember that one concept at the core of our legal system is that if something isn't explicitly prohibited, its allowed. Laws take rights. They don't grant them.

Most important, note that the law only addresses the PURCHASE of ammunition.
There are no restrictions on the possession of ammunition or the storage of ammunition.

When I lived in. CT, I never locked up ammo. Absent a firearm (which were always locked up) the greatest risk ammo poses to a child is as a choking hazard.

There might be some fire codes, but I am not sure. Black powder definitely has a legal limit (or so I have been told).
Black powder is actually dangerous. So I'd naturally want to limit that in my home. But how much do you really need? I mean, you can only shoot a few shots in one range session anyway. 10 lbs would last me a lifetime. ha.

Unless somewhere in CT statutes defines "gun powder" its open for debate, which means common usage.

Common usage of gun powder is smokeless powder. Black powder is black powder. I don't see anything in that statute that changes anything.

The common meaning of "in anyone place" means any one location, IE your property at a single address. So you would not want to keep 50 lbs in your basement, and 50 lbs in your garage etc... I would think if you owned to properties in different areas you could keep 50 lbs at each one.
That makes sense to a degree.
The intent here is for it not to be at risk of going up all at once.

Conversely, if I had 50 acres and a house and a barn 1500 ft away, you could make the point that "One place" wouldn't apply. And the cops would probably agree.

So somewhere in the middle, multiple "stashes" at one address become one place.

Back
Top Bottom