Curious what the veterans here think of this guy.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/th...n-beret-who-fought-the-tal-1618447251/+travis

Love, booze, pills, thawbs and lots of firepower: This is how one of America's most effective soldiers took the fight to the enemy in Afghanistan, and as a result the rigid Army bureaucracy took him down. Part Commando, part Lawrence Of Arabia, the story of Green Beret Jim Gant is one of incredible bravery, and one of a total lack of respect for traditional Army rules.

I have no basis to judge this one way or the other, but I found it interesting.

Last edited:
I was Navy so I was never on the ground but if I was I would not have an issue with his command.

Interesting what he says around the 6 minutes mark (I believe), pretty confirms what Frenchman was talking about in another thread.

And busted by a ****ing 1st Lieutenant out of West Point, what a piece of shit.

Last edited:
Not the first time the military system chewed up and spit out a good man. As for the pills and booze, nothing seems to have changed since the sixties. I remember when I got to Nam and was in my first firefight. After the SHTF the Corpsman passed out fistfuls of Darvon to the guys and they washed them down with some sort of whisky that was made in Nam and fired up joints. I can remember thinking to my self, "Holy crap! these guys are on pills, booze and pot and they all have full auto weapons that never go on safety. I'll never get out of here alive". I did get out alive and those guys were some of the finest fighting forces this country will ever have. I wish that I could tell them all that today. Every one of them had b***s of steel and kept their s**t together under fire. The experience taught me not to judge others and that first impressions are worthless. I'll always remember how little I knew when I was the new guy!
Semper Fi Green Beret Jim Gant. Thank you for your service to this country.

So successful, the scumbag politicians saw fit to visit and brag about the place he was holding together.

So successful, he never lost a man in combat.

So successful, he understood what was needed NOW, and he got the job done instead of monkey wrenching the gears with paperwork on many occasions. I shudder to think how many lives and limb
have been lost by hesitant, indecisive officers in the military.

I'd fight with the guy anytime.

As a shave tail LT, I called my senior sergeant into my office for our first meeting. After he saluted and it was returned, I asked him to close the door and he did.

"Sergeant, I have two simple rules and we will get along just fine. The first is that you will do exactly what I tell you to do and do it as soon as possible."

"Yes sir."

"The second is that just before that, you will tell me exactly what is needed to do."

A big smile from the sergeant and a resounding, "Yes sir!"

That my good people is leadership in a nutshell.

he should be rewarded and the people in DC should learn something from him and the tactics used.

"You can not let violence go unanswered"

"You must be more prepared to be more violent than they are"

Anybody ****ing listening?

As I have been told a couple times now, "it is better for you to appear incompetent than disloyal."

People are surprised when a couple former SeALs turn up dead from an apparent heroin overdose. After all, there is no way these elite fighters would give in to hard drugs. But what do people think is going to happen when you ask people to push their physical, mental, and emotional limits year after year? A little something to keep you going, or for the joint pain, or to help you rest. Then it is suddenly cut off once you're out of the zone. Why not? The VA don't take care of people at home, might as well begin their decline properly. [sad2]

So successful, the scumbag politicians saw fit to visit and brag about the place he was holding together.

So successful, he never lost a man in combat.

So successful, he understood what was needed NOW, and he got the job done instead of monkey wrenching the gears with paperwork on many occasions. I shudder to think how many lives and limb
have been lost by hesitant, indecisive officers in the military.

I'd fight with the guy anytime.

As I have been told a couple times now, "it is better for you to appear incompetent than disloyal."

People are surprised when a couple former SeALs turn up dead from an apparent heroin overdose. After all, there is no way these elite fighters would give in to hard drugs. But what do people think is going to happen when you ask people to push their physical, mental, and emotional limits year after year? A little something to keep you going, or for the joint pain, or to help you rest. Then it is suddenly cut off once you're out of the zone. Why not? The VA don't take care of people at home, might as well begin their decline properly. [sad2]

I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, I say more power to him.

I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, I say more power to him.

No, not at all. The line about incompetent/disloyal was aimed at what you were saying. This guy got it done. Despite his issues, he got it done. Often, this comes with the scorn of "leadership" that is unwilling to listen to experience. BTDT. I'd rather see the mission through and be disciplined later than watch someone eff it up from the rear.

Back
Top Bottom