• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Custom Beretta 92

I'm thinking about getting a custom Beretta at some point and am wondering if anyone has experience with what I'm thinking about. Namely, I'm thinking about either Langdon 92x or Wilson 92G. Does anyone have any real experience with both? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Anthony

I owned two Beretta 92 INOXs. Great guns. The most reliable and user-friendly handguns I've ever owned. However, if I was going to pay money for a "custom" handgun, I'd pay for a gun that's optics ready with suppressor height sights from the factory. Neither of the two "Berettas" you mention have those features. So, I wouldn't pay for a tuned 92.

The Wilson 92s have a great reputation, from what I've read.

Haven't had either of those, but I had an M9A3 about 2 months ago and sold it within a week. The finish was atrocious (this was a US made Beretta for full disclosure). Beretta refused to do anything because it was "cosmetic". I ended up reading about other people having the same issues. I couldn't live with having a brand new $900 gun around that had missing pieces of cerakote and overall a shit cerakote job along with a shitty looking stake mark that was done AFTER the finish. So, whatever you get, look over it with a fine toothed comb.

I enjoy my berettas. Langdon just came out with an optic ready 92. I had the please of shooting my boss's Wilson combat 92. Splooge!! It was a very smoooooth trigger!! I will be saving up for either!

Italian-made 92fs was my first FFL purchase. No regrets. User-friendly, action like oiled glass, eats anything you feed it.

My only gripe- and it's a common one- are the grips. The stock grips aren't comfortable. If you have giant mitts, maybe.

The 92x and the Vertec have narrower grips overall, so that may not present any issue, but that's probably the only negative I can think of. I tried swapping Vertec stocks on (they fit), but they feel a little cheap. The Wilson ones are fantastic, but cost around $80. I ended up taking fine-grit sandpaper and some oil to the stock grips and custom-grinding to my liking.

Still, can't go wrong with a 92.

I'm thinking about getting a custom Beretta at some point and am wondering if anyone has experience with what I'm thinking about. Namely, I'm thinking about either Langdon 92x or Wilson 92G. Does anyone have any real experience with both? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Anthony

I'm kinda a Beretta fanboy, so take that into consideration. I have a 92FS that WC did most of the work on. It does NOT have the G model modification though.

Beretta Vertec slide w/ dovetail front sights
WC BASIC CARRY –w/Action Tune, Contour Magazine Well, Battlesight Rear sight, Fluted Steel Guide Rod, Armor-Tuff Frame, Wilson Combat Logo Frosted on Slide.
WC Custom Carry Lo-Profile (Single) Lever Safety/ Decocker
WC Oversized Magazine Release w/ WC Logo
WC Shorten Barrel to 4.7" and Reverse Crown cut at a 45-degree angle
WC Shok-Buff® Recoil Buffers
WC Deluxe Spring Kit, Competition Use. DA=7.5 lbs / SA 4 lbs.
WC Mag Guide (replaces lanyard)
Hogue finger grips w/Coolhand grip screws

The rail system you see is a removable Ez Rail or "TICK" from TRGEAR. I use it for dry fire training w/ a Mantis system.
TICK Rail

The picture is not the Vertec slide. For some reason, I only have a picture of the original slide.

While some of the mod's are clearly for aesthetics, the mechanics DO make a difference. I've shot a bone stock 92FS next to mine and the difference is something you can feel (racking feels like its on ball bearings), and for me, it shoots better than I am, but I still do pretty good with it.

Also, if I was to start this journey all over again, I'd go to Langdon Tatical as he was the one who taught WC how to tune 92's.

This is just me and like I said, I'm a 92 Fanboy. YMMV.

If you're ever out around the Worcester area (NO I do not live in Worcester) and want to send some rounds down it, let me know via PM and you can try it out.

Jay

srS6KsK.jpg

Last edited:
I owned two Beretta 92 INOXs. Great guns. The most reliable and user-friendly handguns I've ever owned. However, if I was going to pay money for a "custom" handgun, I'd pay for a gun that's optics ready with suppressor height sights from the factory. Neither of the two "Berettas" you mention have those features. So, I wouldn't pay for a tuned 92.

The Wilson 92s have a great reputation, from what I've read.

I enjoy my berettas. Langdon just came out with an optic ready 92. I had the please of shooting my boss's Wilson combat 92. Splooge!! It was a very smoooooth trigger!! I will be saving up for either!

Check out Langdon's 92 Elite LTT with RDO Slide

Damn, I need some more Benjamin's.

Jay

I'm kinda a Beretta fanboy, so take that into consideration. I have a 92FS that WC did most of the work on. It does NOT have the G model modification though.

This is really helpful - thanks. I had a feeling Langdon may have been first, but wasn't certain. Wilson makes it sound like they have been doing Beretta's forever, but I don't seem to recall much 15 years ago.

I have another question for you. Do you think it is better to get a new gun from Langdon or try to find an older used 92FS and get it reworked?

Beretta Vertec slide w/ dovetail front sights
WC BASIC CARRY –w/Action Tune, Contour Magazine Well, Battlesight Rear sight, Fluted Steel Guide Rod, Armor-Tuff Frame, Wilson Combat Logo Frosted on Slide.
WC Custom Carry Lo-Profile (Single) Lever Safety/ Decocker
WC Oversized Magazine Release w/ WC Logo
WC Shorten Barrel to 4.7" and Reverse Crown cut at a 45-degree angle
WC Shok-Buff® Recoil Buffers
WC Deluxe Spring Kit, Competition Use. DA=7.5 lbs / SA 4 lbs.
WC Mag Guide (replaces lanyard)
Hogue finger grips w/Coolhand grip screws

The rail system you see is a removable Ez Rail or "TICK" from TRGEAR. I use it for dry fire training w/ a Mantis system.
TICK Rail

The picture is not the Vertec slide. For some reason, I only have a picture of the original slide.

While some of the mod's are clearly for aesthetics, the mechanics DO make a difference. I've shot a bone stock 92FS next to mine and the difference is something you can feel (racking feels like its on ball bearings), and for me, it shoots better than I am, but I still do pretty good with it.

Also, if I was to start this journey all over again, I'd go to Langdon Tatical as he was the one who taught WC how to tune 92's.

This is just me and like I said, I'm a 92 Fanboy. YMMV.

If you're ever out around the Worcester area (NO I do not live in Worcester) and want to send some rounds down it, let me and you can try it out.

Jay

srS6KsK.jpg
Check out Langdon's 92 Elite LTT with RDO Slide

Damn, I need some more Benjamin's.

Jay
This is really helpful - thanks. I had a feeling Langdon may have been first, but wasn't certain. Wilson makes it sound like they have been doing Beretta's forever, but I don't seem to recall much 15 years ago.

I have another question for you. Do you think it is better to get a new gun from Langdon or try to find an older used 92FS and get it reworked?
I was asking myself the same thing. Used 92fs is probably 500-600? I think its 535+ or minus to tune it up. I have (2) 92fs, Inox and standard. Since you dont have one yet, go big!! Go Langdon!

Haven't had either of those, but I had an M9A3 about 2 months ago and sold it within a week. The finish was atrocious (this was a US made Beretta for full disclosure). Beretta refused to do anything because it was "cosmetic". I ended up reading about other people having the same issues. I couldn't live with having a brand new $900 gun around that had missing pieces of cerakote and overall a shit cerakote job along with a shitty looking stake mark that was done AFTER the finish. So, whatever you get, look over it with a fine toothed comb.

Same, I sold the USA FDE M9A3 and bought a black Italian one. Day & night between the two, I’m glad I did it.

When I purchased mine, the previous owner just purchased the 92FS new and sent it off to WC right away for most of the work I mentioned above. I believe that you can look it at that I paid for the gun and got the WC upgrade for free, or that I paid for the WC upgrades and got the gun for free. [laugh] I enjoyed the purchase, but added and subtracted items as I can never leave anything alone.

I'm also curious if the trigger reset changes after the upgrade?

While I can't answer that exact question. I did have a gunsmith install a WC SRT (Short Reach Trigger) and the proper springs. I had read that others were very happy with it. For me, lets just say I was not a fan and had it removed and the original trigger put back in. This is just me. Others may find a benefit and find it worthwhile.

Doing some fanboy research, and I could have read it wrong or read what I wanted to read, it is my understanding that Beretta actually works with Langdon and incorporate his idea's into production runs. One example would be how some LTT models have an under the trigger guard contour shaping so your middle finger fits a little more natural. Again, with me and my hands, I put some tape around right before my second knuckle of the middle finger to make it more comfortable when doing a long range session. I have to do the same thing on my M&P 9C, but I've been able to shave down the polymer myself.

LTT also has what they call a Trigger in the Bag option. And combined with their reworked trigger bar, is supposed to be quite impressive. I'm not sure I need that...yet.

Again, if I had to do it again, I'd get a LTT w/dovetail sights and add the option of the Trigger in the Bag w/trigger bar and call it done (for awhile).

YMMV

Jay

Last edited:
Just by the quality control

my fde had maching marks around the face of the firing pin channel, machining marks throughout the slide, paint caked up in some spots.

My black one is just perfect, great that I found a g model on top of that

If you're talking about the difference between guns made in Italy and the United States, I tend to agree. Mine was made in Italy. I also have a baby version, the 84BB chambered in .380 also made in Italy date coded 1987. The slide, trigger, overall fit and finish is amazing. I'm partial to it as it was my first gun. It is not a safe queen and my grandaughter likes it, so she'll get it. Later, much later. And if it's beat up, she knows where to get it reconditioned. [thumbsup]

Jay

That trigger bar upgrade is worth it, if you like a short reset. It makes the sig srt reset feel a mile long compared to the beretta, lol

Wow, that says alot. I have a sig 226 with an SRT, Gray dual adjustable trigger, and had it all hand fit. The trigger (in SA) feels as good as a custom 1911.

Lousy picture I know, but these are mine. To me, just doing custom work is better than trying to get the custom gun. Edit to add my Vertec...

Very very nice collection. And a very nice positioning picture on the comforter. I've already admitted to being a Beretta Fanboy, but it looks like I really need to step up my game. I'll keep my next comment clean. [wink] But your pictures remind me of that commercial that goes something like "Seek medical assistance if after four hours your still "smiling".

Thanks! Some of them have had work - the black standard went to Wilson Combat and returned new sights, trigger job, extended mag release and custom finish.

Laura - can you describe the enhancements to the trigger pull? I'm guessing it breaks like glass at this point. My question is really trying to get to trigger reset. Did the enhanced trigger shorten the reset?

Laura - can you describe the enhancements to the trigger pull? I'm guessing it breaks like glass at this point. My question is really trying to get to trigger reset. Did the enhanced trigger shorten the reset?

It's going back a number of years for me, but I did the basic action job in addition to some other modifications. I found this, in which someone breaks it down more, that might explain it better than I could:

Some people have had great experiences with Wilson Combat (WC) as I did and some questionable. If you have the money, I would have no qualms about recommending them. That said, my standard Italian stainless and two compacts were done by a member of the Beretta forum, who goes by the handle "WAL." After I got the gun back from him, I compared his trigger work to the WC Beretta and I couldn't tell the difference. The guy is that good. I went with him to save costs as customizing is crazy expensive and I think I've only gone all out for just two guns in my collection. If you're interested, WAL can be reached via the forum: www.berettaforum.net He's every bit as good as WC, but less expensive, faster and detail oriented. As an example, if you look at the Inox compact, the grip is a WC product, but WAL removed the medallion and replaced it with a Beretta logo, which I thought was very cool. Hope the info helps.

Wow! Mine was flawless. Is this newer examples?

Wow! Mine was flawless. Is this newer examples?

I've heard about this as well; my Berettas have been flawless and were purchased years ago. The Italian stainless is the only one that I bought used, in mint condition. I do read about tool marks or sloppy finish work on the American models. Not sure who is to blame - MD or TN for the recent issues.

Back
Top Bottom