• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Customer backs out of purchase, should I return the deposit?

Should I return the deposit

• Yes, full and immediate return

Votes: 67 34.0%
  • Yes, partial or full based on final sale

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • No

Votes: 89 45.2%
  • Other (see post)

Votes: 13 6.6%

• Total voters
personally i would give the idiot back his deposit and not allow them to do any more deposits in the future. there are so many of these retard types out there it's not my job to "teach" them.
Yup same here. I do believe you have the right to keep it but its not worth the BS or having your reputation trashed over $100. Give the douche his $100.
Years ago my brother lost a $2600 deposit on a $3500 car. He lost his job and told the dealer he couldn't make payments anymore. Asked if he could get his deposit back. Dealer said Nope! A few weeks later he told the dealer he wanted to pay off the car and pick it up. Dealer said he he now to get $5500 because he had put work to it. I would have sued this guy but your situation is very different.

Most likely, you are under a legal obligation to return it. Since the value is $100, it's not worth the aggravation of potential lawsuits and bad name.

Do not return the deposit.
I believe any policy like this needs to be visibly posted and written on the receipt in Massachusetts. mr. enbloc had an experience he posted about and got bit. it also goes for return of goods. the store policy needs to be up and visible to the customers. so if the op didn't do that and it does goes further, well he's lost. nothing in writing, deposit goes back.

personally i would give the idiot back his deposit and not allow them to do any more deposits in the future. there are so many of these retard types out there it's not my job to "teach" them.

FWIW, I agree with enbloc and Squib308, this is pretty much our "Policy" at the shop I work at. You need to use a little discretion with each individual to be fair, but it sounds to me like this guy is pushing the limits, so your call. Dam these millennials!!!! Good luck!!!

I had a similar thing happen when I owned a Motorcycle Repair Shop and I got a deposit on a part and related work. A year later the guy shows back up and wants his deposit back because he sold the bike and didn't need it any more.
NO WAY, Right?
2 months later I'm called into Small Claims Court in Woburn by the guy and the Judge asks me:
"Did you have Adequate and Visible Signage in regards to your Deposit Policy?"
"Or a written receipt for the deposit stating that policy?"
NO?!
Do you understand that under Massachusetts Law you are required to?"
NO?!
"How would you like to proceed; write a check for the return of the deposit and settle this before it is entered into record, or lose the case, have to repay the deposit AND leave a bad impression on all the other people gathered in Court today?" (the court was packed with 80 or so other people and their cases)

... I wrote the check.

Ah yes, then there's this scenario

Give him nothing. A deposit is to hold something, why even take it if he can back out? His lack of communication just seals the deal. Bad posts on Yelp? Who cares if you are an appointment only dealer. Give him 50% ..or even 100% back and you could still get a butthurt posting. If your rep is good, your customers will not give a shit, and outing him to all other dealers will hurt HIM more that you. A man's word is his bond, you don't need losers for customers.

Based on the particulars you stated in a later post, specifically being a part-time business, and social media / advertising respondents are not your primary customer base, I would not return the deposit.

Having said that I think it's clear you should have a deposit policy for each customer to sign in writing. When I put down a deposit on a gun, it's something that's not in stock, and I expect to be able to withdraw the deposit at anytime until the gun is in stock and I am notified of such. From there on out, the deposit belongs to the store.

Giving the guy the $ back is just good business. If you wanted to be a hard-ass, make him spend the $ in the store. Otherwise, just give it back.

This. I would just send him his refund and don't look back. Definitely not worth your time. Sooner or later, that gun he put the deposit on will be sold.

Side note: I do believe what others have said about in the future, clearly explaining verbally and with proper signage your deposit policy.

Definitely a "teachable moment", but not worth more of your time. "Move along, nothing to see here" seems to be the theme.

By the way, did the original gun sell? What was it? Just curious. [wink]

Jay

I’d refund the deposit but then whip up an agreement for future similar circumstances that the buyer leaving the deposit signs that is clear that they have X days to complete the sale or the deposit is forfeit.

Level with him and tell him exactly what you said to all of us. Some people may not realize you only had 1 of this firearm and lost sales in those 8 weeks.

If he starts to get dodgy, ask him what he thinks is fair. If he has enough common sense he’ll now realize the scope of the situation and ask for store credit towards a future purchase, or the amount in something tangible. You can lead him there if need be.
Ammo! Who doesn’t want ammo?!?!

If he starts to be an ass or combative, give him the C note and cut and run. As soon as you give him his money back, you’ve disarmed him and written him off for good.

You have to feel the out situation and judge the person based on their demeanor.

Good luck!

My father used to say "You catch more flies with cash than you do with vinegar" or something to that effect...

Just explain to the kid your doing him a solid. And give it back, I've done this twice myself. Granted I was drunk buying a gun last year and when I sobered up the next day I realized I didn't wanna spend 1200 on a Hudson. However I also offered to let them keep the deposit. I never would've considered asking for.

The other time I left a 300 dollar deposit on a cz and didn't feel like going to the cape to pick it up. Called the guy apologised told him to keep it for the trouble. He did keep it btw I think.

The kid should've told you to keep it and you should've gave it back. However just because he's a pill doesn't mean you should be one too.

I don't pay attention to social media reviews, they're just a sounding board for butt hurt people. if the shop is decent and you treat people fairly, you'll have customers. word of mouth is way better than shit like yelp when some guy starts talking up the shop at his club.

And

Not any more Mr. Cobra. Online Reviews are the coin-of-the-realm, and are at a minimum consulted before a purchase or service is entered upon.

The Times they are a-changin'...

Agree completely w/ enbloc, online reviews are worth their weight in gold. Sure, word of mouth is good but it only gets you so far. Virtually every new customer I get who isn't a word of mouth referral mentions my positive online reviews as a significant factor in their decision making and I get a whole lot more new business from the online world than I do from word of mouth.

Here's a thought: Tell the guy it was a non-refundable deposit but you're willing to refund it given the special circumstances and ask him to give you a positive online review. Don't condition the refund on the online review, ask for it. You'll get a valuable positive online review for $100 of someone else's money.

I will differ with those who say to give the deposit back. If I read your post correctly, this guy emailed you with an offer to purchase the gun. You emailed him back that you accepted his offer to purchase provided he put a deposit on the gun. Those emails contain the parameters of a written contract. This guy is now trying to renege on the contract to your detriment.

a deposit is not automatically non refundable....that needs to be made clear at the time the deposit is made preferably in writing and agreed to by both parties.

I'd probably give the stain his money back and just blacklist him from any future transactions.

I will differ with those who say to give the deposit back. If I read your post correctly, this guy emailed you with an offer to purchase the gun. You emailed him back that you accepted his offer to purchase provided he put a deposit on the gun. Those emails contain the parameters of a written contract. This guy is now trying to renege on the contract to your detriment.
arguably the contract is defective because the terms of the deposit were not specified.

What the heck does he think deposit means? It's to ward against people yanking you around and not buying it. Why even let him put a deposit down if you're going to give him the money back? He should understand what a deposit is if he's old enough to buy a gun.

Say what you want, but this has been a pretty interesting thread. Thanks OP!

IANAL, but I did watch Judge Judy last night! LOL! My understanding when not specified "non-refundable" is it has to be returned unless it causes damage. Damage could be as simple as selling it to the next person for 850 rather than the 950, you are damaged by 100. Personally, if it were my business I would offer him a 100$ store credit.

Back
Top Bottom