• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Customer Service vs Gun Store Edetiquette

Thirwell1216

NES Member
Recently picked up a gun at an FFL in Rehoboth. Drove 60 miles to pick it up. The FFL was good with the purchase and transfer. I got home and the gun I bought from him had some problems. The magazine latch would not lock up and the mags just fell out of the gun. This was a new in the box gun and wasn't cheap. He had two of the same guns when I went down and saw him. So the same gun that I bought was hanging on the wall.

Called him and told him that mags were not locking up in the gun. Asked if I could return it and exchange it for the other one he had in the shop. He laughed and said "You bought the gun and it's registered to you. You can't just swap out a gun. Call the manufacturer and work it out". Asked him if an FFL could take a transfer from an individual. He said yes. I told him I could transfer my rifle to his shop. Also asked if I could do a form 4473 on the other one in the shop that might actually work. He got quiet on the phone for a bit and then got angry. Got bent and told me to call the mfg again.

I've been collecting and shooting for 30 years. Is it me or is the FFL just a poor business man? I get working with the public sucks, but when you drop $1300 on a gun, you should get something that works.

unfortunately it is a warranty issue once you get it transferred,

a good shop may have said bring it back and let me look at it for you, but they are not swapping guns with you.

the upside is you can send it back to the manufacturer yourself without a FFL in most cases

unfortunately it is a warranty issue once you get it transferred,

a good shop may have said bring it back and let me look at it for you, but they are not swapping guns with you.

the upside is you can send it back to the manufacturer yourself without a FFL in most cases

Good lesson in doing full function checks on a gun before you buy it. If the mag dropped out in front of the FFL , I would haven't bought it. Now I am stuck with it. Calling the mfg on Monday and starting the process of getting it working.

Good lesson in doing full function checks on a gun before you buy it. If the mag dropped out in front of the FFL , I would haven't bought it. Now I am stuck with it. Calling the mfg on Monday and starting the process of getting it working.
What make and model is it?

Do a quick search online, it is probably a cheap $10 fix. Probably some spring.

There isn't much that can go wrong with a mag release.

I always like to either fix guns myself or use a good local gunsmith. Some manufacturers like SW s*ck a** for warranty work and I would rather spend $10-$50 and do it right and fast rather than ship it and wait weeks or months.

Do a quick search online, it is probably a cheap $10 fix. Probably some spring. There isn't much that can go wrong with a mag release.

I always like to either fix guns myself or use a good local gunsmith. Some manufacturers like SW s*ck a** for warranty work and I would rather spend $10-$50 and do it right and fast rather than ship it and wait weeks or months.

Remember, the manufacturer already shipped a sh*t gun. So trust them to do a good job the second time?

Looked on-line and saw that I might have to file down the mag catch as it might not be grabbing the magazine. Not wild about doing this on an expensive gun. But I"d rather it work than be an expesive paperwieght.

Looked on-line and saw that I might have to file down the mag catch as it might not be grabbing the magazine. Not wild about doing this on an expensive gun. But I"d rather it work than be an expesive paperwieght.
Don't file anything...

What is the make and model?

And what caliber? (I just need to know if it is a .40).

Too bad you couldn't buy a OE replacement. Then, return the bad part for a refund. That would be crazy

It could also be just a bad magazine with the retention slot missing lining up with the catch by as little as a couple of thousands of an inch. Maybe even a missed burr.
I’ve seen the mag problem more than once.

I have bought guns at a shop that made you sign a form that says "any problems with the firarm will be handled by the mfg, and not us". While it could have been handled differently I think this is par for the course

he could have said it better but he did as I would expect. I've only heard of very few instances where a dealer exchanged a defective firearm and I thought that went above and beyond because, well, no one ever does it. and I honestly don't know why. he should have at least looked it over, could have been bad mags. 60 mile drive? gonna say you're not a regular. water under the bridge. don't pay anything to try to home repair it, send it back. the company will pay your shipping once you tell customer service what's what. all you're gonna lose is some time. and act indignant on the phone, they might toss in an extra mag.

One of the great advantages of buying locally (vs. via Interwebs) is that you can inspect the gun to a large degree before plunking down your money. [thumbsup]

Even with that, I've had assorted major & minor problems after buying. You either fix them yourself or you send them back for warranty service. It's a pain in the butt for sure, but exchanging for another of the same gun at the selling shop is kinda asking for a lot. Great if they are willing, but I would never expect that.

I’ve had countless problems with firearms over the years. Never have I brought one back to the FFL. If it’s a new firearm it goes back to the manufacturer. They will take care of it. If this is your first mechanical firearm problem then they must be safe queens.

I’ve had countless problems with firearms over the years. Never have I brought one back to the FFL. If it’s a new firearm it goes back to the manufacturer. They will take care of it. If this is your first mechanical firearm problem then they must be safe queens.
Nothing wrong with a few safe queens if you have the appropriate cash doing nothing.

That is a lot of problems with new guns.

At our store the customer is told several times before they walk out the door that there are no givsie-backsies. We'd have to re-acquire the gun and then deal with the issue and likely then would only be able to sell it as used, which cuts into the retail bottom line (which already runs at a pretty tight margin). So basically two "new" guns turns into one new gun and one used gun. Any issues need to be brought up with the manufacturer who pretty much all will make it right quickly and at no cost to the customer. Last thing they need is any kind of defect out there that may result in harm.

Look at it this way as well, if the FFL swapped out the gun they would have to report a multiple purchase to the AFT since you had two handguns transferred to you within 5 days...

I had a similar problem years ago however the gun functioned when I got it but quit working within the first 5 or 10 Rounds. The shop was very apologetic and the best thing that they offered to me was they would call the manufacturer and ship it back for me so that I would not have to pay shipping or deal with it. I let them go ahead and do that. I thought it was a fair compromise on the part of the local shop.

OUT THE GUN AND MANUFACTURER!

[devil]

In over 40 years of shooting I've had 3 guns with problems out of the box or within the first few rounds. A Remington 700 in the late 80s and two S&W in 2016, 2017. The one S&W was an expensive 1911 out of the Pro Shop. That was a big disappointment to buy their top of the line 1911 and have issues. Never bought another S&W after that.

At our store the customer is told several times before they walk out the door that there are no givsie-backsies. We'd have to re-acquire the gun and then deal with the issue and likely then would only be able to sell it as used, which cuts into the retail bottom line (which already runs at a pretty tight margin). So basically two "new" guns turns into one new gun and one used gun. Any issues need to be brought up with the manufacturer who pretty much all will make it right quickly and at no cost to the customer. Last thing they need is any kind of defect out there that may result in harm.

Look at it this way as well, if the FFL swapped out the gun they would have to report a multiple purchase to the AFT since you had two handguns transferred to you within 5 days...
Great point on the "used" part. I didnt think of that.

In over 40 years of shooting I've had 3 guns with problems out of the box or within the first few rounds. A Remington 700 in the late 80s and two S&W in 2016, 2017. The one S&W was an expensive 1911 out of the Pro Shop. That was a big disappointment to buy their top of the line 1911 and have issues. Never bought another S&W after that.
Looks like you had to learn the hard way all their Performance Center guns are nothing but marketing.

Back
Top Bottom