Cute one

Way back when before they all became staties, the Registry cops would set up near the UMass Amherst campus on the first of every month to write tickets for expired inspection stickers. It was a target-rich environment, and the tow truck guys cashed in on the expired registrations, too.

My memory is that in the early 1980's an FID card was required to own a pellet gun. Am I wrong on this? I remember it as just another one of those nanny state things that you could buy in New Hampshire, but banned in Mass.

And if I am remembering it right, does anyone know when the rules on pellet guns changed? And when they were restricted, were they classed as firearms, or as something else? Oh, the good old days!

My memory is that in the early 1980's an FID card was required to own a pellet gun. Am I wrong on this? I remember it as just another one of those nanny state things that you could buy in New Hampshire, but banned in Mass.

And if I am remembering it right, does anyone know when the rules on pellet guns changed? And when they were restricted, were they classed as firearms, or as something else? Oh, the good old days!

MVP Sports in Danvers wouldn't sell me pellets, once in the mid 80's, because I forgot my wallet/ Lifetime FID.

Interesting memory. Prior to 1983 there was confusion on this. In 1983 the SJC held that an air gun was not a firearm and the only restriction was that imposed on minors not being able to possess them without an adult. Not sure why others should need an fid though

In 1976, I had to show a LTC and do the FA-10 to purchase a pellet pistol at Ivanhoe's in Watertown. It was the law back then. Don't know when it changed.

That's interesting because all Uber/Lyft drivers have the device stuck to the windshield holds your phone. Are they all subject to being pulled over/ticketed for it?

And of course you can't hold your phone while driving anymore so there is that too.

I knew a couple cops who were told by older cops early on in their career to pull over a few people for stuff hanging from the mirror and make sure to do it every once in a while so that if they ever felt like pulling someone over for whatever reason they could use that and not have it be thrown out if it comes up in court due to them having a history of pulling people over for it. Basically allows them another reason for a fishing expedition and plausible deniability when someone claims it is a BS reason for the stop.

Interesting a 40 year old conviction....Just reopening it now? I assume your post was to get some sort of reaction.
Reopening an ancient conviction to get a non-conviction dispensation is the only method other than a MA governor's pardon with explicit restoration of gun rights to take one off PP status.

I wonder if the original convict had a laboratory report from the ballistics unit (Now days the MSP or Boston unit, not sure about back then) certifying that the items in question were a gun and ammunition.

Reopening an ancient conviction to get a non-conviction dispensation is the only method other than a MA governor's pardon with explicit restoration of gun rights to take one off PP status.

I wonder if the original convict had a laboratory report from the ballistics unit (Now days the MSP or Boston unit, not sure about back then) certifying that the items in question were a gun and ammunition.
I am presently waiting to hear back from MSP ballistics. If that comes back as favorable it will be a walk in the park. If not any expert to say .177 was never anything but an air gun will do also. I'm glad it wasn't a .22 pellet lol.

Some day in far future nstassel will be revealed as using Jedi mind tricks in court. In the meantime take the win.

Yes, at some point the law did change where pellet guns/ air rifles/ bb guns were no longer an "FID required" thing. I can't remember when they relaxed that law though.
It would be interesting to find out how many FA10's out there have bb gun/ pellet gun info on them, rather than actual firearms. :/

The 17 Remington existed in 1989 and that uses .172 projectiles. Since ammunition components are “ammunition” in MA, could it be argued that the pellets were components and therefore actually ammo?

There was a time when you needed an FID to buy pellets and a pellet gun. I don’t know if this was really the law or just an overabundance of caution on the part of the retailers.

In 1976, I had to show a LTC and do the FA-10 to purchase a pellet pistol at Ivanhoe's in Watertown. It was the law back then. Don't know when it changed.

I remember pellet pistols/guns being sold by a vendor at the Grafton Flea Market in the mid- late 90's. My teenaged son was able to purchase no problems, permits, or papers

Interesting memory. Prior to 1983 there was confusion on this. In 1983 the SJC held that an air gun was not a firearm and the only restriction was that imposed on minors not being able to possess them without an adult. Not sure why others should need an fid though

I recall something similar. In the mid 80's, I was 13-14, so....1985ish, I recall my father needing an FID card to buy me a BB gun. <shrug>

Back
Top Bottom