CWops Academy - Beginner

MaverickNH

NES Member

CWops just started their Jan-Feb beginner course and I’m in it. We had our Intro meeting Sunday 7pm and will meet Wednesday/Sunday 7pm for 16 sessions. I did it in 2018 but had to bail towards the end - stuck in UK on business a few weeks.

I’m amazed how it’s coming back - I’m beginning to hear letters without dah/dit conversion in my head. “Head Copy” they call it.

Awesome!

The CWOps organization is pretty awesome and the instructors are top notch volunteers.

Keep us updated!

I've heard of CWops Academy but never checked them out until you mentioned it here . I am going to plan on signing up for the April/May session.

I used to do CW quite a bit but for some reason about 30 years ago I stopped when I started working at HRO in Salem. I am thinking about getting back into again. Lately, I have been finding myself reading road signs etc out loud in CW as I drive to and from work and found myself listening to the CW portions of the bands more often. I can read about 8-10 WPM but numbers and punctuation always trip me up.

I have forgotten the different prosigns but getting back into them again slowly.

I have an Iambic BY-1 keyer and a couple of straight keys. I used to have a pretty good fist on SK. the Iambic is good too but I tend to send way faster than I can copy using that thing. At one time I was up to about 18 WPM in the late 80's and that was about the time I started working for HRO and basically got burned out on Ham Radio. Having a job in your hobby kind of sucks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom