• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CZ 457 Varmint MTR

Not in stock at any of the distributors I just checked. It is "allocated" which means when they come in account reps get to sell to who they want to sell to. If you have a go-to shop, ask them to get it on their list with their distributors and eventually they will get one

Great gun!
^^^^^^^^
Buddy of mine has one in .223 Rem. His MTR sports some kind of Vortex optic - something in the 6-24 realm. At the bench, I settled into the 100 yard lane, got my sight pic and ripped off three shots. Without really trying, I made a 3-leaf clover at 100 yards. Popping prairie dogs or other small varmints out to 300 yards should be a snap.

Last edited:
Great rifle but in short supply. Ive seen a few pop up used if you’re ok with that

I have two cz 457’s. Today u I was shooting the precision varmint in .22lr.

We were shooting at 100 yards. One of the plates had a hole in it from some idiot shooting armor piercing.308 at it.

Both me abs my shooting partner were able to shoot a round through the hole.

Beast of a firearm.

BTW I have this version of the MTR. I'm not familiar with the $1500 version.

I also have the CZ Precision Varmint 457 chassis.

Love both of these guns. Paid about $900 for each.

1646319450173.png

The regular one is $625 but the MTR is like $865.
looks like prices have gone up substantially. last year the mtr version was like 650ish and the regular varmint was around 499.

still, $1500? might as well pony up the extra loot and get a vudoo or rimx at that point.

How does it compare to a Bergara b14r? Been thinking of getting that or the 457 rather than wasting money on a 308.
I’ve been thinking of getting the Bergara B-14R Trainer Barreled Action and then putting it in another PDC custom chassis to match my Bergara BPR17 PDC Comp Chassis that’s in 6.5 CM. That’s why they call the B14 R the “Trainer”. It completely mimics a Rem 700 bolt gun, down to the magazine, which is a 10 shot single stack built within the same dimensions as a standard short action AICS mag. That means you can put it in any rifle chassis designed for a Rem 700 short action and get the exact same look and feel as your center fire chassis target rifle (even down to using the exact same Rem 700 compatible trigger). The Carbon fiber version is $750 and the PDC chassis, upgraded to match my 6.5, would be $1,040. Not sure I want to go with $1,800 for a .22 LR, but given the cost of 6.5 CM ammo (still don’t have my reloading bench setup for 6.5) and the fact that .22 LR zeroed at 50 yards and shooting at 200 yards does a pretty good imitation of the 6.5 zeroed at 200 yards and shooting at 500 yards, I just might do it.

Does it come with a video card?
When incorporated into the HP a1657c
(admittedly with an actual dual-screen video card),
the NodusM3-GL8E; ASUS: A8M2N-LA motherboard
c00757541.jpg

had a plastic cover riveted over the VGA connector,
with documentation stating
"don't you even think of connecting a monitor to this port".

Compare and contrast to the Ruger AR-556 M/N: 8502's pinned stock.
5.jpg

How does it compare to a Bergara b14r? Been thinking of getting that or the 457 rather than wasting money on a 308.

When you search around to compare the T1x vs the 457 vs the B14R. It seems like a toss up as far as precision.

I had a T1x and 457. They both shot great. The 457 I bought for my son and put in an XLR chassis. I liked it so much that I bought the T1x and put it in an XLR and used that for me. I like to shoot long guns lefty though, so I sold it. Overall, it just wasn't as nice as the 457. Couldn't complain about how it shot, but it just didn't feel as quality as the CZ.

Since Bergara announced the B14r in Lefty, I put in a waitlist order for a steel BA. I already have an MPA chassis and TT trigger ready to go.

There will definitely be more aftermarket readily available for the B14r since it's a clone R700 action footprint. But honestly, so many manufacturers are making parts for Tikka center fire actions now too, that you can find what you want. The nice part about the T1x and the 457 is that a $10 spring does incredible things for the stock trigger.

If CZ would make the 457 in 22lr in lefty, then I would have got one. Right now, the only lefty is in .17

I have a couple of CZ 457's and a pair of Bergara M14R's. ( I almost bought a Vudoo but didn't want to wait 5 months for delivery. Besides it seems they are still working out feeding issues on the $3500 three60 model) , Anyway, after some trials with various high end ammo, I'd say that my stock Bregara's have a SLIGHT accuracy advantage over my stock CZ VPT MTR ( at 50/100 yds). The MTR is ammo picky while the Bergara's tolerate with a wider range of ammo. That said, any of them will hold better than I can on an average day. The MTR's are VERY scarce and commanding crazy $ these days. The good news is that CZ 457s are as customizable as a Ruger 10/22. As an option you can buy any CZ 457 and build it the way you like for (usually) equal $. Here is a pic of a recent match chambered .22 457 project that started as a 457 synthetic in 17 hmr. ( It's in teh CZ varmint stock now. I did have it in the MTD chassis until reciently) Total investment was well than a factory MTR.. This one shoots lights out!

Attachments

• 20220402_145116.jpg
    20220402_145116.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211217_103213.jpg
    20211217_103213.jpg
    933.6 KB · Views: 4
I have a couple of CZ 457's and a pair of Bergara M14R's. ( I almost bought a Vudoo but didn't want to wait 5 months for delivery. Besides it seems they are still working out feeding issues on the $3500 three60 model) , Anyway, after some trials with various high end ammo, I'd say that my stock Bregara's have a SLIGHT accuracy advantage over my stock CZ VPT MTR ( at 50/100 yds). The MTR is ammo picky while the Bergara's tolerate with a wider range of ammo. That said, any of them will hold better than I can on an average day. The MTR's are VERY scarce and commanding crazy $ these days. The good news is that CZ 457s are as customizable as a Ruger 10/22. As an option you can buy any CZ 457 and build it the way you like for (usually) equal $. Here is a pic of a recent match chambered .22 457 project that started as a 457 synthetic in 17 hmr. ( It's in teh CZ varmint stock now. I did have it in the MTD chassis until reciently) Total investment was well than a factory MTR.. This one shoots lights out!
it is peculiar how your barrel looks like - nothing like mine, and a shape is not same. did you swap it?
IMG-0898.jpg
cannot complain about accuracy at a 100 - 7 hits down there. if a bergara or voodoo does even better - all the best to them.
of a one thing i would like to change - it would be nice to get a flat trigger there.

1649765691602.png

Last edited:
it is peculiar how your barrel looks like - nothing like mine, and a shape is not same. did you swap it?
View attachment 602478
cannot complain about accuracy at a 100 - 7 hits down there. if a bergara or voodoo does even better - all the best to them.
of a one thing i would like to change - it would be nice to get a flat trigger there.

View attachment 602481
Yes, as I said, the gun started as a synthetic 17 hmr ( American). The barrel you see is a IBI SS 22" match . 22 lr (with Olympic contour muzzle) . This final set-up is not all that unlike the factory Varmint MTR . It's just a little more forward balanced. Having owned both, I'd say they are very(!) close in accuracy but the aftermarket barrel does add some weight out front. I like this set-up allot (and more than the VPT MTR it replaced. Here is a better pic of the barrel.

Attachments

• 20220402_145139.jpg
    20220402_145139.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom