CZ 97B vs BD

I am looking to purchase one of these fine .45ACP firearms and I am leaning heavily towards the decocker model. I am about to do it but heard a rumor (that I wish I didn't - ignorance can be bliss) that the decocker option adds more moving parts, etc that makes the trigger pull worse (or not as good) than the "B" version with just a safety. Its highly unlikely I'm going to be able to hold these side by side and dry fire both before purchasing so I want to know if anyone has experience with these. I'm not interested in modifying this gun in any way so the trigger pull out-of-the-box is of the highest importance to me. Thanks

Personally not a fan of the way they look in 45 but if you want my useless opinion. Unless your stepping up big time to like a shadow or one of their comp guns save your penny's and get yourself a polymer knock off from eaa. I have a cz 75 which I really enjoyed for about a week until I bought its 250 dollar brother. An eaa sar b6p and shot much better with that for a third of what the cz retails for. Granted this is in a free state and I like my 75. (Stainless matte). However doing it again I'd have bought the sar and another glock

I'm not sure the decocker version would increase the trigger pull? I have a CZ75 and it has a firing pin block unlike the SP-01 shadow which results in a lighter trigger pull. Not familiar with the decocker model CZ's. That being said, the trigger out of the box on my 75 was okay but nothing to brag about. I sent it to Cajun gun works in Louisiana and now the SA trigger is at 3.5# with a short reset and the DA trigger is 6.5#. Highly recommend sending it to him if you buy the 97.

Cant really go wrong with a CZ or EAA/Tanfoglio as jkelly suggested. I know plenty of competitive shooters using the EAA witness pistols.

My vote would go for the B model as I don't personally care for decockers. But that's just me.

Last edited:
I've never felt the trigger on the "B" but I bought the "BD" last month and love it. In DA it's got a long pull but its smooth with a nice break. SA is light, around 5lbs I think, the reset is a little longer than my Sig SRT but still short and crisp.

This is a great shooter and quickly becoming one of my favorites. Only issue I've had with it was on the first range trip, the grip screws and the set screw that holds the LCI on all came loose in the first 100 rounds. A little loc-tite took care of it.

I shoot at MFS, if you want to meet up and try it PM me.

Personally not a fan of the way they look in 45 but if you want my useless opinion. Unless your stepping up big time to like a shadow or one of their comp guns save your penny's and get yourself a polymer knock off from eaa. I have a cz 75 which I really enjoyed for about a week until I bought its 250 dollar brother. An eaa sar b6p and shot much better with that for a third of what the cz retails for. Granted this is in a free state and I like my 75. (Stainless matte). However doing it again I'd have bought the sar and another glock

Another plus with some of the EAA pistols is that they have a slightly higher beavertail (compared to a CZ) which allows for a higher grip and more controlled recoil.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like both the b and the BD versions are out of stock for another couple weeks so I have some more time to mull it over. The reason I'm leaning towards the BD is the lack of a safety. I currently shoot Glocks and revolvers so I don't have that muscle memory. If that rumor I heard about a worse trigger pull is bogus I think I'm still leaning that way. I'm pretty accurate with my Glock 21 but I really want a SA. Thanks for the advice Andrew. I will definitely check out Cajun Gun Works. Can I ask what service you had them perform? One of the packages or something custom?

the BD model trigger is very nice both in DA and SA. it just comes down to personal preference. with the exception of a few 1911's, the CZ97 is the finest shooting 45acp pistol ever put into my hands. while the dust cover looks better without a rail, i'm hopeful CZ eventually builds a model 97 with a light rail and the decocker. woudl be good combo.

the BD model trigger is very nice both in DA and SA. it just comes down to personal preference. with the exception of a few 1911's, the CZ97 is the finest shooting 45acp pistol ever put into my hands. while the dust cover looks better without a rail, i'm hopeful CZ eventually builds a model 97 with a light rail and the decocker. woudl be good combo.

I would love a 97 with a rail and decocker....

I also love the decocker version of the SP-01 that I have...I second the advice to send it to cajun...its a long wait but so worth it..I had the total package done...best money I ever spent.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like both the b and the BD versions are out of stock for another couple weeks so I have some more time to mull it over. The reason I'm leaning towards the BD is the lack of a safety. I currently shoot Glocks and revolvers so I don't have that muscle memory. If that rumor I heard about a worse trigger pull is bogus I think I'm still leaning that way. I'm pretty accurate with my Glock 21 but I really want a SA. Thanks for the advice Andrew. I will definitely check out Cajun Gun Works. Can I ask what service you had them perform? One of the packages or something custom?

Pro package and new sights installed. I don't mind the safety - especially since I don't carry it. Only a range/competition gun.

Last edited:

Send it to Cajun gun works. They'll machine a rail into the 97 frame for $150 plus $30 return shipping:
https://cajungunworks.com/product/97bbd-picatinney-frame-rail-with-machine-work-150-00/

I think cz offers a light rail option. It comes as a kit that needs to be drilled and tapped into the frame. I may go that route eventually once I get one

the light rail would be nice and $150 is good price to have cajun tap the dust cover and thread a rail onto it. however the 97 just looks so damn sexy with a standard dust cover. beauty in eye of beholder i feel the same way about 1911's. once there's a rail on there the sexiness is just gone (although certainly nice feature!). maybe someday if i win the lottery or sell a kidney then will pickup a 2nd 97BD and have the rail attached.

Back
Top Bottom