• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CZ Handguns (NOT) to be added to Mass Roster

I'd be lying if I said this isn't getting my hopes up. I love my 75B to death, and I've wanted an SP-01 Shadow for years now.

I know I shouldn't hold my breath... but I really can't help but be excited.

EDIT:

Dang, I missed how old this thread was. Well, uh, bump.

Last edited:
I'd be lying if I said this isn't getting my hopes up. I love my 75B to death, and I've wanted an SP-01 Shadow for years now.

I know I shouldn't hold my breath... but I really can't help but be excited.

EDIT:

Dang, I missed how old this thread was. Well, uh, bump.

Here you go!

IMGP0646.jpg

Any update on this?

I am just curious if anyone has heard an update on this?

The latest list 4-2012 (corrected 5-2012) still does not have any cz models on it...

I am trying to be patient but getting tiiiired of waaaaiting

Czechoslovakian, CZ38, pistol cal. .380ACP.
Czechoslovakian, CZ50 pistol, cal. 7.65mm.
Czechoslovakian, CZ52 pistol, cal. 7.62mm.

On the C&R list. I would not otherwise hold my breath, but that is me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Czechoslovakian, CZ38, pistol cal. .380ACP.
Czechoslovakian, CZ50 pistol, cal. 7.65mm.
Czechoslovakian, CZ52 pistol, cal. 7.62mm.

On the C&R list. I would not otherwise hold my breath, but that is me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CZ 27 in .32 is on the C&R list, too; the CZ24 in .380 is over 50 years old and should qualify as well.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the .45 versions? I'm looking for a good .45 for pins and plates, and like the looks of these. Not only that, but my employer has a major office in Brno, CZ where they are made that I visit from time to time. I hope to get a tour some day.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the .45 versions? I'm looking for a good .45 for pins and plates, and like the looks of these. Not only that, but my employer has a major office in Brno, CZ where they are made that I visit from time to time. I hope to get a tour some day.

The CZ97 is a BIG gun with a large grip. They are made for big hands. Having said that CZ makes great firearms.

stop posting in this thread. It pops up above all others and gets me all excited, every time.

i have no experience with them at all. i would suggest checking out rugers p345, that should work well for pins and plates. sorry about hijacking this thread.

Sorry to get everyone revved up by bumping this thread, but I came across this on my semi-regular search to find a Shadow Target for sale.

I hadn't seen this thread before and it had been a while since an update, so I contacted CZ.

They have no plans to make their guns MA compliant. Their concern is that adding a firing pin block and magazine safety would create complications for the (proven) design. They also mentioned the issue with the AG's mystery list preventing them from being assured of the ability to sell products in MA even if they were to make the changes.

So, long story short, this is going nowhere.

Sorry to get everyone revved up by bumping this thread, but I came across this on my semi-regular search to find a Shadow Target for sale.

I hadn't seen this thread before and it had been a while since an update, so I contacted CZ.

They have no plans to make their guns MA compliant. Their concern is that adding a firing pin block and magazine safety would create complications for the (proven) design. They also mentioned the issue with the AG's mystery list preventing them from being assured of the ability to sell products in MA even if they were to make the changes.

So, long story short, this is going nowhere.

Not surprised. ..My guess is they don't want to add an LCI to the gun by hacking it up, etc, can't say that I blame them.

One thing I don't understand though is why they don't try to get it on the Approved TARGET roster, which has like two (or maybe it's four?) guns on it. Since CZ never really marketed the SP01/CZ75 Shadows for anything OTHER than things like USPSA/IDPA ompetition, they should be able to do this pretty readily- or at least it should be easy to get the customs on the list at least, because there is no way in hell any of those guns are marketed to like LE or personal defense markets... at all! I think the only company putting guns on that roster is SVI, due to their above average knowledge level of the law. (Thanks in part to work from guys like Rob B. and the much loved/hated Scrivener. )

-Mike

Not surprised. ..My guess is they don't want to add an LCI to the gun by hacking it up, etc, can't say that I blame them.

One thing I don't understand though is why they don't try to get it on the Approved TARGET roster, which has like two (or maybe it's four?) guns on it. Since CZ never really marketed the SP01/CZ75 Shadows for anything OTHER than things like USPSA/IDPA ompetition, they should be able to do this pretty readily- or at least it should be easy to get the customs on the list at least, because there is no way in hell any of those guns are marketed to like LE or personal defense markets... at all! I think the only company putting guns on that roster is SVI, due to their above average knowledge level of the law. (Thanks in part to work from guys like Rob B. and the much loved/hated Scrivener. )

-Mike

Just when I think I have a handle on MA firearms laws.

Does the state provide any explanation of what the differences in the requirements for the two rosters are?

I did ping CZ with the idea....

Approved Weapons Rosters

Has the current target roster plus a link to the application to be added to the target roster.

Here are the requirements to be on the target roster:

(1) A report to the GCAB that certifies by affidavit that the firearm is solely designed and
sold for formal target shooting competition.
(2) A completed “Specifications Checklist,” which identifies specifications and features
of the firearm which make it a formal target shooting competition firearm, including:
(a) The firearm must have match grade adjustable rear sights, or a match grade
optical target sighting system.
(b) If the firearm is a pistol, it must have a barrel length of at least five inches, and it
must contain at least four components from the following list produced at match
grade: a target trigger, a custom or bull barrel, a ported barrel or compensator, a
custom barrel bushing, an adjusted, beveled or improved magazine well, an
extended or custom slide release button, a target hammer, a custom feed ramp, a
custom ejection port, a custom extractor, target grips, or a trigger pull weight of
less than four pounds.
(c) If the firearm is a revolver, it must have a barrel length of at least six inches, and
it must have at least three of the following components produced at match grade:
a target trigger, a custom or bull barrel, a ported barrel or compensator, a target
hammer or target grips.
(3) A list of the specific types of formal target shooting competition for which the firearm
was designed and sold, or documentation indicating that the firearm is recognized by
a national organization as a firearm used in formal target shooting competition.
(4) Any advertising or marketing materials sufficient to demonstrate that the firearm is
solely sold for formal target shooting competition.

Does the state provide any explanation of what the differences in the requirements for the two rosters are?

Per MLAboss's post, there's an application process listed on this page... this kinda lays out the distinction of what makes something a "target" gun elegibible for that
roster.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/application-for-formal-target-shooting-roster.pdf

If you manage to actually get someone's attention at CZ that's really into this, tell them if they need legal assistance they should probably call up Keith Langer, or at a minimum they should get in touch with Rob Boudrie on here. (I don't think Langer is on the GCAB any more, but there may or may not be a conflict of interest there. )

-Mike

Per MLAboss's post, there's an application process listed on this page... this kinda lays out the distinction of what makes something a "target" gun elegibible for that
roster.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/application-for-formal-target-shooting-roster.pdf

If you manage to actually get someone's attention at CZ that's really into this, tell them if they need legal assistance they should probably call up Keith Langer, or at a minimum they should get in touch with Rob Boudrie on here. (I don't think Langer is on the GCAB any more, but there may or may not be a conflict of interest there. )

-Mike

I think I'll look into this...I'll talk to some folk and report back when I have some info.

If you're talking to them, you might want to mention that a magazine safety isn't a requirement.

Perfect, thanks guys.

I replied to them and I will see if they get back to me. Got some good info about people on here with experience with the process via PM as well.

I have zero expertise here but I will do whatever I can to try and push it along. It seems like that one pistol alone would be worth it.

Perfect, thanks guys.

I replied to them and I will see if they get back to me. Got some good info about people on here with experience with the process via PM as well.

I have zero expertise here but I will do whatever I can to try and push it along. It seems like that one pistol alone would be worth it.

FWIW, a couple of years ago (or more), there was one of these posts regarding HK getting their handguns MA approved. Some people said "WOOHOO" while the more jaded said "not gonna happen". It finally did happen (P30s are now in MA shops) but it took a long time and the HK designs were pretty much ready to go as they stood.

Back
Top Bottom