• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

cz or savage

Im teaching my brother how to shoot and im deciding between a savage mk2 bvt or a cz 452 ultra lux. any input on accuracy/quality of the rifles. This will also be my primary target gun so thats why the accuracy question comes in.

Last edited:
The triggers on the CZ 452 are legendary - good. I wish I hadn't parted with mine - a great target / training rifle. IMO
I have no experience with the Savage, but the trigger they have on their bolt 223/308 rifles is also very nice.

Last edited:
I have a savage mk 2. I bought it for $200 with a scope. A deal I couldn't pass. Now if I were to chose between the 2 I'd go with the CZ. But weigh your options.

Savage= made in America
CZ= made in turkey (I think)

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I really don't. But I have a savage model 10ba 308. It's really nice high quality. So I'd be surprised if they make junk. I have a leupold 6.5-24 vx3 on it. I'm a new shooter and at 2oo yds nothing leaves the first ring on an 8" target.
3e3a4ane.jpg

I have a savage mk 2. I bought it for $200 with a scope. A deal I couldn't pass. Now if I were to chose between the 2 I'd go with the CZ. But weigh your options.

Savage= made in America
CZ= made in turkey (I think)

CZ is from the Czech Republic. CZ-USA -> About CZ UB

FWIW, I have been very happy with my CZ 455 Lux (shorter barrel than the ultra lux you mentioned), although I'm pretty much a rank beginner with questionable eyesight.
Bench rested with a scope at 50yds: cz50ydRested.jpg (the target is about a 2.25 inch circle - one of nine on a standard sheet of paper, the extra hole farther away was from a different group, probably something offhand) I think I was shooting Aguila ammo that day.

CZ is from the Czech Republic. CZ-USA -> About CZ UB

FWIW, I have been very happy with my CZ 455 Lux (shorter barrel than the ultra lux you mentioned), although I'm pretty much a rank beginner with questionable eyesight.
Bench rested with a scope at 50yds: View attachment 72298 (the target is about a 2.25 inch circle - one of nine on a standard sheet of paper, the extra hole farther away was from a different group, probably something offhand) I think I was shooting Aguila ammo that day.

Lol I know where the company is, but CZ USA is also an importer and puts their names on guns made by others. Like my CZ bobwhite sxs. It's made in turkey.....

I have a 452 ultra lux. Learning to shoot with 22 is best. Its a great combo.

452 I think is discontinued or will be soon but the platform replacing it is basically the same.

Lol I know where the company is, but CZ USA is also an importer and puts their names on guns made by others. Like my CZ bobwhite sxs. It's made in turkey.....

The rifles, as near as I can tell, are Czech made.

I know a little of the confusion importers can cause - I have a KBI PMK .380 that is really an FEG knock-off of a Walther PP. (So, a Hungarian-made approximation of a German design imported by an American company that named it after the company president's father.)

Savage MK2 accutrigger left handed - $225 out the door from a local shop

CZ 452 left handed - $433 plus transfer

I have no illusions about my Savage but it is dollar for dollar the better buy even though they are two different class rifles.

Mark II BTVS is more in comparison:
Savage MKII-BTVS 22LR $385.00 SHIPS FREE

Savage will certainly do the job, the cz will do it as good and look better doing it. If that's worth 200 bucks or so to you, then you have your answer.

452 military trainers are still around. i found a few dealers. i want the ultra lux though. and they are discontinued but they can be found u just have to look really really hard

With a CZ 455 and their switch-barrel system, you can essentially have 3 rifles: .22LR, .17hmr, and. 22 magnum.

I have several savages and several CZs every one has been outstanding as far as accuracy . Some of the savages cost half as much as the CZs but still shoot as well as the CZs. That said the fit and finish on the CZs is excellent and the triggers on the CZs are really nice but the savavges have the accutrigger which is almost as good. I have the CZ military trainer in 22 and its a very nice my only complaint is the scope mounts are metric and can be a pain to find. You can't go wrong with either brand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom