• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CZ P01 - preban Sig 228 mags?

I am looking for one preban mag that can fit my CZ P01. Needless to say, nearly impossible to find, at any price.

i have a feeling the pre ban Sig 228 mag should be close if not a an exact fit. Anybody here own both a sig and CZ to confirm? Yes I have searched the net, cz forum etc, and was unable to find an answer.

thanks for your help!

I have a 75b and a sp01. The mags might work but I think the specs are slightly off. Can take a look later for you and give you specs on both p226 and p229 mags.

Thanks tacticalpanda! In particular I think the 13 round 228 /229 old style should be close. When I picked up a cz 9mm compact mag first time, I wondered if it was a sig clone. I have heard that beretta mag can also work, might have to cut a notch slightly higher for the mag release...

Not sure I would start cutting new notches for the mag release. Doing so would be modifying the magazine body, and that could easily be interpreted as manufacturing a new magazine, and hence they would not be pre-ban any longer. You would then be in possession of an illegal large capacity magazine.

Changing followers, base plates, springs etc is fine, but modifying the actual magazine body is most likely not.

Ok thanks for the clarification beretta92fs. The rules are confusing and I want to stay firmly on the safe side.

Not sure I would start cutting new notches for the mag release. Doing so would be modifying the magazine body, and that could easily be interpreted as manufacturing a new magazine, and hence they would not be pre-ban any longer. You would then be in possession of an illegal large capacity magazine.

Changing followers, base plates, springs etc is fine, but modifying the actual magazine body is most likely not.

Sorry but this is crap. Nothing under MGL says this. Under the old fed regs/ATF letters, modifying preban magazines was allowed as long as you didn't make a magazine which no longer functioned in the firearm it was originally intended for. That's about the only legal "guidance" your going to find on the issue. Nobody really knows what MA thinks about this "issue" because it's not codified in law and you're not gonna find any case law on it, either.

-Mike

I am looking for one preban mag that can fit my CZ P01. Needless to say, nearly impossible to find, at any price.

i have a feeling the pre ban Sig 228 mag should be close if not a an exact fit. Anybody here own both a sig and CZ to confirm? Yes I have searched the net, cz forum etc, and was unable to find an answer.

thanks for your help!

Those mags are the same sig228 and czpo1.. Also the cz 75 bd is the same mag as the sig p226 mk25.

"Exclusivity is for everyone. Try us! You'll find us refreshing."

I could have told you that probably wasn't going to work. [laugh]

I bet there are various CZ-75 / clone mags that will probably work in it though, depending on whether or not you're willing to let the bottom of the magazine hang out. Sometimes you may need to
put in new/different followers to get the slide to lock open on the last round. (some of the tanfo/witness mags are diferent and have a retardo follower that isn't quite compatible with the CZs)

Not to mention a fun side effect of these kinda mags is many of them are completely unmarked, so good luck to some mongoloid prosecutor trying to assert that your mag isn't pre ban. He'd be better off buying a powerball ticket.

-Mike

Last edited:
I could have told you that probably wasn't going to work. [laugh]

I bet there are various CZ-75 / clone mags that will probably work in it though, depending on whether or not you're willing to let the bottom of the magazine hang out. Sometimes you may need to
put in new/different followers to get the slide to lock open on the last round. (some of the tanfo/witness mags are diferent and have a retardo follower that isn't quite compatible with the CZs)

Not to mention a fun side effect of these kinda mags is many of them are completely unmarked, so good luck to some mongoloid prosecutor trying to assert that your mag isn't pre ban. He'd be better off buying a powerball ticket.

-Mike

Thanks Mike - most CZ or CZ style mags seem to be unmarked - but as per MA law, who has the onus to prove where there is a doubt?

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but has anyone tried running pre ban sig mags through their cz 75? I can't find a definite yes or no and pre ban cz mags are impossible to find. Any info will help. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom